Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm triking my 95 Aspencade soon with a Tow Pac Insta Trike kit. My half mile access road to my house is just too treacherous to safely ride on despite spending thousands of dollars in improvements. Does anyone else have one and what is the ease of converting from 2 wheel to Trike? Any opinions on performance and longevity? Reading rider reviews, there are some who have problems with loose bolts. Doesn't Locktite address this issue? And cornering, any tips on proficiency?

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Have you looked at the E-trike they have?...It's only for Goldwings at this time.
That's probably what I will get early next year.
Owen

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Have you looked at the E-trike they have?...It's only for Goldwings at this time.
Owen

·
Senior Smart Aleck
1,599 Posts
I have one for my 97 1500. Don't use it a whole lot. It is easy on and easy off. Two bolts and a hitch pin. It is a different ride with it attached. All push and pull to turn. ornering is a bit strange to. I'm sure you would get used to it. It came with the bike when I purchased it and I'm gonna hang on to it in case there is a day when I have to have it.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Owen
I've already committed to buying Ghost Riders Tow Pac however what is difference between Insta Trike and E Trike?

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
the main difference is the price. The E-Trike right now is only made for the gl1500 and 1800. They also don't have the hitch. You might go look at their websight. I called TowPac and talked to them. I think I'm going that way. It's about 1000 dollars cheaper.
The main draw back to it is that if you buy the one for the 1500, It will only fit 1500's. You'd need to buy a whole new set up if you bought an 1800 later
Owen

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Trike

I'm triking my 95 Aspencade soon with a Tow Pac Insta Trike kit. My half mile access road to my house is just too treacherous to safely ride on despite spending thousands of dollars in improvements. Does anyone else have one and what is the ease of converting from 2 wheel to Trike? Any opinions on performance and longevity? Reading rider reviews, there are some who have problems with loose bolts. Doesn't Locktite address this issue? And cornering, any tips on proficiency?
I know I will get a lot of flack for this but if it keeps one person out of trouble it will be worth it. First off, plugging a pair of wheels into your hitch does not make it a trike. A "trike" has three wheels not four. Second, Every one of this type of conversion I have test ridden could be made to do things during emergency maneuvers that I find unsafe and not willing to risk my life with. Third, check with your local state laws. In a lot of cases like here in Washington four wheels makes it illegal.
I understand that cost and availability for more model bikes are two reasons people buy these things as well as the hype about how they are a "trike" conversion but they are not. I install lots of real trike kits of different brands. Sometimes if real kits are available for your model of bike you need to see just how much you are really saving because in a lot of cases it is not as much as you think. If one is not available for your model of motorcycle then consider trading your bike for one that is. In the end you will be much happier and certainly safer.
As I said before, I install a lot of real trike kits. While trikes are not my personal choice I don't expect everyone to do what I do or ride the same type of motorcycle. Actually once you get past all the bull and misinformation out there by people that really don't know, a properly mounted sidecar is the cheapest and safest way to gain that needed stability and has been my choice for over 40 yrs and close to half a million miles. But again that is just my choice. I'm not trying to promote sidecars over trikes. Just providing food for thought. Get what works for you. No matter your personal choice, do your homework and stay safe.

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
No law in Texas as to three or four wheels on a bike...

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know I will get a lot of flack for this but if it keeps one person out of trouble it will be worth it.
Thanks for your views on this. The deal has been made so if I discover later that I am unhappy with this product I can remove and re-sell. That's the beauty of the Tow Pac unlike a true trike conversion as it's not permanent and can be removed in minutes and bike converts back to a 2 wheeler.

Dan

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Looks like my 1200 LTD is dead. I am planning on getting either a vintage GL1000, or a decent 1500. I have fairly severe problems with my knees (left one is artificial) and shoulders. I was planning on using a Voyager kit if I decide I need it. A local Goldwing shop here has some used ones for sale that will fit the 1500. These are not a true trike (I couldn't begin to afford one of those) they are basically bolt on extra wheels. With one installed, your bike has 4 wheels. I believe AZ still requires a motorcycle license to ride one of these, because it is not permanent.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks like my 1200 LTD is dead. I am planning on getting either a vintage GL1000, or a decent 1500. I have fairly severe problems with my knees (left one is artificial) and shoulders. I was planning on using a Voyager kit if I decide I need it. A local Goldwing shop here has some used ones for sale that will fit the 1500. These are not a true trike (I couldn't begin to afford one of those) they are basically bolt on extra wheels. With one installed, your bike has 4 wheels. I believe AZ still requires a motorcycle license to ride one of these, because it is not permanent.
Jerry, sorry to hear you are having problems with your LTD. That was my first Wing and was my entry into riding big touring bikes. Hope you find another good one as I did with my 1500. I got mine from the original owner with 25k for 3500. I looked at the Voyager and saw one on a local LTD and it sat too low to the ground and would have bottomed out on the dirt road to my house. That's why I'm getting one, not because I have any physical issues in balancing or holding it up. I've dropped my bike 4 times in the deep sand and gravel and don't want to risk anymore of that. The last time I pulled both hamstrings. Fortunately the bike wasn't hurt as the crash bars saved her. I hope though that you are able to get one for your needs to extend your riding abilities.

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
I'm triking my 95 Aspencade soon with a Tow Pac Insta Trike kit. My half mile access road to my house is just too treacherous to safely ride on despite spending thousands of dollars in improvements. Does anyone else have one and what is the ease of converting from 2 wheel to Trike? Any opinions on perf iormance and longevity? Reading rider reviews, there are some who have problems with loose bolts. Doesn't Locktite address this issue? And cornering, any tips on proficiency?
Installed an Insta-Trike on my 85 LTD then added extra tail lights to the fenders,amber clearance lights to the sides of the fenders,and LED red strip lights by the hitch. Double plugged the wiring,one for the trailer,one for the Insta-Trike lights in case I want to dismount it and go 2 wheels sometime. It has a reverse gear which is nice and after tweeking the Torsion Bar suspension I'm happy with its preformance and handling. I have more confidence in riding at slow speeds now when loaded and riding two up,no more trying to muscle the weight in parking lots.Its a dream on the freeway and shines in stop and go heavy traffic.I'm pleased with it and for me thats all that matters.:waving:

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Installed an Insta-Trike on my 85 LTD then added extra tail lights to the fenders,amber clearance lights to the sides of the fenders,and LED red strip lights by the hitch. Double plugged the wiring,one for the trailer,one for the Insta-Trike lights in case I want to dismount it and go 2 wheels sometime. It has a reverse gear which is nice and after tweeking the Torsion Bar suspension I'm happy with its preformance and handling. I have more confidence in riding at slow speeds now when loaded and riding two up,no more trying to muscle the weight in parking lots.Its a dream on the freeway and shines in stop and go heavy traffic.I'm pleased with it and for me thats all that matters.:waving:
Hey Sparky, thanks for sharing your lighting upgrades and rider review of your Tow Pac. This time last year I bought an 85 LTD and kept it a few months when I found a 95 Aspencade. I'm really excited about getting the Tow Pac soon as I'll be headed up near Chicago after Christmas to get it installed by Ghost Rider. I had seen a Voyager installed on an 85 LTD locally however it appeared to have minimal ground clearance and wouldn't clear the ruts and erosion of my dirt road. I think the Tow Pac will solve my road issues and bring a dimension of safety back into my riding experience, especially just getting in/out of my property. And as I project riding beyond my 63 years I can see many more years now of staying in the saddle and not having to drop down to a lighter bike or scooter.

I have one question though and that is how do you check your air pressure in your bike's back tire and fill with air? Looks like the Tow Pac wheels block access to the back tire. Thanks Sparky and Merry Christmas good friend.

Dan

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Hi Dan, I can still reach the valve stem,just line it up at the bottom of wheel rotation as usual. best to lay a tarp down or on a clean shop floor so you can lay down on the job :ROFL: to check it. I have the reverse motor on my insta-trike and the motor sits on the left side just below the fender. I found at first when the left wheel hit a good bump like a man hole cover the motor would bump against the bottom of the fender,adjusting the torsion bar bolt counter clockwise one turn corrected it. The clearance is now greater between fender and motor.The right side needed to be adjusted that one turn as well to keep the horizontal alignment correct. Not sure about the E-trike having reverse available because reverse is'nt an issue with a lot of 1500's and 1800's
since they already have reverse.Its the older 1200's like mine that benefit from the reverse gear option. The Bike rolls so easily with the Insta-Trike in place I usually push it back out of a parking spot but there are still the odd times the reverse comes in handy. Get yourself one of those long black tie straps and make it the right length to hold the brake lever on when parked,remember there's no side stand or center stand being used now and the bike can roll if there's a bit of a grade.I tried leaving it in gear but found if there was the slightest grade it was difficult to get it out of gear again when starting because of the pressure on the gears from the weight exerted on them. Hope a few tips like this helps you and others.

Robert:waving:

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Get yourself one of those long black tie straps and make it the right length to hold the brake lever on when parked,remember there's no side stand or center stand being used now and the bike can roll if there's a bit of a grade.I tried leaving it in gear but found if there was the slightest grade it was difficult to get it out of gear again when starting because of the pressure on the gears from the weight exerted on:claps: them.
Robert, thanks again for the tips-n-tricks of the Tow Pac Insta Trike. Seems like my 85 LTD wouldn't start in gear with pulling in the clutch like my 1500 does. I'll probably make up one of those zip tie brake locks anyway for double insurance. Have you had any issues with loose or broken bolts?

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Haven't had any loose or broken bolts yet but I've read there was a few cases. I've heard there was some buffeting in crosswinds which were different than riding 2 wheels but haven't experienced any myself yet, I'll watch for it and post if I do_Open Prairies is where cross winds seem most predominant.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey Sparky, you have a pic of your rig? I'm chomping at the bit waiting until January to drive up north and get my Tow Pac and looking at pics on Google of other's rigs. Had a question too of road handling like edge traps with new road construction and how it handles the crown in the road and how do you dodge road kill and debris with 3 tracks?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.