Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help from all you adventurous riders out there.
My wife and I are trying to figure out where to ride to next summer. We have done the trip around Lake Superior (beautiful), Niagra Falls (incredible) and Mt. Rushmore, Devils Tower, Custer St. Park (WOW). All are trips I would recommend. Now we need our next trip.

We are starting from St. Paul, MN and I like to keep these trips to about 2000 miles, round trip. We pull a bunkhouse camper and do our best to avoid large cities. When we leave the Twin Cities area I don't want to see that many buildings again until we get home.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Might want to consider Colorado. There's so much to see whether in the North half around Rocky Mountain NP, or further South around the Cortez and Silverton area.

Mention this only because I'm planning on going back there myself next July.

Lot's of stuff to see and great roads.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
I too would recommend Colorado (San Juan National Forest, Million Dollar Hwy and Grand Junction). While you are in the area; Arches NP, Canyonlands NP, Four Corners, Monument Valley in Utah are some of the most beautiful areas I've ever visited.

·
Just one of the guys
4,833 Posts
To ride down and to the Blue Ridge Parkway would be a bit over 2000 miles but it is a truly wonderful ride.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
Not trying to be a wise guy,,,,but,,,,Setting a mileage limit on yourselves, is limiting your adventures.
I do understand that you may only have a certain amount of time for your trips also. But if you have 2-3 weeks, you CAN do the rides mentioned (Colorado, Utah, BRP). You would not regret it :)

·
1,566 Posts

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
Bear tooth highway into Yellowstone, then south to the Grand Tetons, continue south to the Flaming Gorge Byway, and then into Utah where there are a lot of great national parks.:waving:

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Have you considered New England and into Canada such as Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island? Last summer we toured Upstate NY, Vermont, NH and Maine and had a blast. Acadia National is spectacular.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Set up your camp trailer in the modern KOA campground in the small picturesque town of Cedar City, Utah..... there are five national parks within a day's ride and wonderful roads leading to them.....we've been to Utah twice, and I would go again in a heartbeat...... Motorcycle country,that there Utah.....!

·
Premium Member
67,784 Posts
3 years ago we used Mel's advise and started in Ceder City UT and spend the next 10 days touring the Parks in UT and AZ.. One of out best rides...............

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. Milage limitation is based on time available. Right now we need to limit trips to about a week. I plan to look into the By-Ways map, that sounds good. Trips to New England, Utah and the Grand Canyon are all on the Bucket List, but need to wait until we have more than one week available.

Thanks for your help

·
Just one of the guys
4,833 Posts
... Trips to New England, Utah and the Grand Canyon are all on the Bucket List, but need to wait until we have more than one week available.

I most strongly agree, we had 2 weeks when we went to NASSIR in Montrose CO and hit Arches, Through Escalante, Bryce, Zion and Grand Canyon then headed back towar home, it was too much to do a proper tour of any of the areas, we just hit the high points and moved on. I underestimated the time it takes to travel because there are a lot of things to stop and look at along the way.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Go west young man......

·
Registered
517 Posts
I live in st cloud and have done trips similar to yours. A couple of others you might try:

1. Yellowstone via Red Lodge and Beartooth pass. excellent and beartooth pass is one of the best motorcycling roads in the country. It's also a very short ride from Yellowstone to Jackson WY and Grand Teton Nat'l Park.

2. Glacier Nat'l park.

crossing the Dakota's can be a real drag. Boring and sometimes (usually) very windy. I took 2 lanes the last couple of trips and it was more enjoyable than fighting the wind on the interstate.

3. another option (which I am doing this year) is to trailer the bikes to Colorado and then riding a 2000 mile loop originating and ending in Denver. (trailering because the add'l 1800 miles to/from Denver is too much for the wife and we're taking a bike for our USMC daughter who is flying in to Denver to meet us.)

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cldryder thanks for the ride advise. I think I'm going to riding to Custer/Mt. Rushmore/Devils Tower this summer with my brother. The Dakotas do get long, but once on the other side, what great views.

Please thank your daughter for serving. May God Bless and keep safe those who serve.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.