Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
62,722 Posts
Peter,
I wish you and yours a very nice and enjoyable tour.

Sounds like fun to me. Wish we could see you at NASSIR9 but it seems the timing is not going to work out right.

·
Administrator
62,722 Posts
Peter if you wish help setting SPOT and want outside help, PM the login info to me and I can reset the intervals for you.

Wilcoy02 did that when he did his Alaska trip.

·
Administrator
62,722 Posts
that is much nicer to have SPOT tracking at 30 minutes.... lets us see much more of the route on a single page.

I just might have to do that with my SPOT.... but, my primary reason for SPOT in the first place, is insurance that someone will know where I am, and IF the bike is still moving....

gonna have to think on that.

I kind of like to be able to see the Fuel Stops that I make, and I don't want to tickle the Start of Day, or the End of Day button to do that....

but, I just might start doing that, the Start of Day button can be relabeled:

Start of Day, or Fuel Stop....

but, I have to remember to set it back to Tracking each time I do that.
and I have been known to forget that.

·
Administrator
62,722 Posts
Hmm, I only have Basic Tracking, and what I get is 15 minutes, take it or leave it.

The price for changing it is not worth the money to me.

·
Administrator
62,722 Posts
That is a gorgeous area and I have traveled it several time between 1950 and 1980.

love it, have family in Powell and Cody, and Billings, and Missoula MT.

·
Administrator
62,722 Posts
Rain just makes you all the sweeter :)

Our return home was dry all the way, even though bad weather had been predicted.
My wife is the worlds worst fraidy cat, she thinks the world is going to stop if some bad weather is moving in....

·
Administrator
62,722 Posts
never gone thru Bend, OR myself, but I have been in the Columbia River area once on an exploration mission to find some very good cheese :)

·
Administrator
62,722 Posts
Fantastic Peter!!!

I like using Photobucket to present my stories, as I can format how the post goes, just like you did.

Awesome scenery, and yes, it is hard to get our computers and cameras to show us the 3D effects that we see with our own eyes.

·
Administrator
62,722 Posts
On my '02, from start when I bought it Jan last year, thru now, it is 33 mpg overall.

trailer towing, tight little twisties, open freeways at mock 1 :)

The Badlands up near Devils Tower though, produced numbers between 38.5 and 40.x without the trailer, and slow cruising.

·
Administrator
62,722 Posts
Every vehicle I have owned, gets better fuel mileage in the high mountains.

One part of that is thinner air resistance.
Another part of it is you gain momentum going down hill and coast part way up the other side before you need to maintain your power setting.

Fuel injected engines seem to do better, carbureted engines tend to be overly rich at the higher altitudes. but, Honda did a great job on the GL1500s with altitude compensation. My 1500s never seemed to be lacking on power, and they always did a bit better on mpg up in rarified air.

Driving in the mountains is one place where a well educated wrist can do a better job on MPG than any cruise control will.

The CC's try to maintain an absolute speed and will open the throttle wide open if necessary to do that. A good rider, just barely maintains enough power to keep the bike rolling up the hill and over it without trying to maintain an absolute speed.

·
Administrator
62,722 Posts
Peter,
I bought a 1 gallon plastic Jerry can with a very tight fitting cap on it.
It does not leak!!!

I made a point to NOT over fill it, and I have carried that 1 gallon of gas with me now for over 5,000 miles. It rides in the right saddle bag at the rear, it fits perfectly and is snug, it does not move around. It just "happened to" fit the contours of the 1800's saddle bag like a dream.

I can't begin to tell you how much comfort that has been... when I pull my trailer on the freeways at 70 or more, it is like pulling a sheet of plywood behind you....
128 miles/tank of fuel if you push the go pedal hard.

152 miles/tank if you stay at 70 mph.
205 miles/tank if you stay at 55 mph.... ( this, I just can't seem to deal with )

all of those figures are with me running the tank right down until it takes 5.8 to 6.4 gallons to fill it up.
You can see, that if I were filling it up at 1/2 tank, I would be stopping every 65-80 miles!!!!

If it were not for my Garmin 2797 GPS showing me exactly how far ahead it is to the next gas pump, I would have been stopping way early and only pumping in 5.0-5.5 gallons of fuel. ( been there, done that, before the 1 gallon of spare fuel )

luckily, I have never needed to use that spare fuel, but once I pumped in 6.5 gallons and thought ..... wow, only 0.2 gallons and she would have coughed her last gasp!

·
Administrator
62,722 Posts
John, I think your trailer eats a lot of gas. I'd like to believe Im getting closer to 40 MPG. Your idea is great tough
Know what, last night I just filled up a mile from here. Im going to go to about 3 cycles and then I'll compute the milage

Peter,
somewhere on here, I have noted that with my new ice chest rack on the back, and NOT pulling the trailer, that I obtained the following MPG numbers per my phone's Fuelio app.

those were following SlowPoke DaveO430 in the twisties thru Spearfish Canyon, Devils Tower, and the Badlands.... >:)

If you have Android, install this sweet little app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kajda.fuelio

. it is available on iOS also for Apple neophytes. :grin3:

/

Attachments

·
Administrator
62,722 Posts
Dencie, I have not looked for any of those yet....
the 1 gallon plastic Jerry can tucks inside the rear of the right saddle bag so neat, it just barely shows at the edge of the lip when the saddle bag door opens.

I think I will just leave it go at that.... 1 gallon can get me 40 miles if I hold it to 45 mph, which is super easy to do, when you get to thinking about walking if you don't :smile2:

·
Administrator
62,722 Posts
Absolutely gorgeous....

back in the fall of 1978 I was able to fly my private airplane over all of that. I was mesmerized with the beauty of it...

The Valley of the Gods is another place that airplane had a chance to fly over during that time.... there is just no way a camera can catch all of the beauty that you can see with your own eyes in those areas.

·
Administrator
62,722 Posts
Keep up the good work Peter.
I lived and worked in the Greater Southwest all my adult life.
Have many memories of the areas you have been going through.

I drove the same highway for 10 years, and never saw the same exact lighting and coloration on the rocky mountain sides. Love Utah but have not traveled it near so much as I did when I lived in ABQ and my work was mostly in zig zagged straight line from Cortez, CO thru Farmington to ABQ to near Roswell, NM to Denver City, TX... 550 miles of pipeline filled with CO2 gas flowing from Cortez to Denver City, TX for injection in oil wells to revive them.

Love the pictures, keep up the good work.

·
Administrator
62,722 Posts
the Colorado River is always brown looking, it is carrying a lot of silt down stream from the mountains...

Wind River Canyon is a gorgeous drive, and IIRC the river there is nice and blue, being mostly ice and snow melt.

39+ mpg, that is great fuel economy. you have been more interested in gawking than riding WOT :)

1 - 20 of 109 Posts