Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
221 - 240 of 439 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #221 · (Edited)
We rode the back roads with very little traffic and generally good roads
Went three times thru the washing cycle .
The moral is high and we stopped for an overnighter in Louisville Ms

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #224 ·
Then the fun became a nightmare. We stopped at this rest area , which is the first I saw to have a security booth on site
We were ready to leave when we saw some police car zooming by.
The security guy told us the cop was driving the wrong way on a 4 lane highway
"Something might have happened" he said

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #225 ·
When the cop returned the right way, the security guard went to talk to him and later spoke to me. A truck carring sulfur(I learn that from the radio) has overturned a few miles ahead of us. The whole 4 lanes were closed
We rode to the location and the cops directed us back on 55 South.
The next few hours we were in a major traffic detour.
Not fun in 93F when having all that gear on.
We were supposed tho visit a State Park near Memphis but too tired to even consider it .
I planned to be on these areas to ride a beautiful ride thru Ozark going North to Eurika Springs.
I scrubbed it because the high temperatures.
Now the goal is to make it fast and furious across Texas. Amarillo is not a place to be on a motor cycle tomorrow

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,854 Posts
Holy cow Batman, y'all sure nuff heading towards hades it seems, i just looked to see what is going on here in okie land

Issued by: Tulsa - OK, US, National Weather Service,

...HEAT ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM NOON TO 8 PM CDT FRIDAY... The National Weather Service in Tulsa has issued a Heat Advisory, which is in effect from noon to 8 PM CDT Friday. * HEAT INDEX VALUES...105 to 109 degrees. * TIMING...Friday afternoon through early evening. * IMPACTS...The heat and humidity may cause heat stress during outdoor exertion or extended exposure.

·
Administrator
61,854 Posts
Amarillo is looking like this Friday, don't think you will make it that far though.

105°F is Real Temps Peter, y'all better plan on some rest stops so you don't get dehydrated, and heat stroke out.... I done that once in Phoenix on a 115°F day.... doc said that was my "last one", the next one will kill you.

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #229 ·
Thanks Ray, if that's your real name LOL. Things were much better today. We prepare for the worst but it was not bad at all.
Due to high temps we planned a much shorter ride
In the AM at departure time we had 84 F .When we arrived in Yukon just outside Oklahoma City this is what is was like

·
Administrator
61,854 Posts
97* is too high to be riding in for more than a short time.

glad you are inside with air conditioning.

Yukon is just 12 miles west of where I was raised in OKC.

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #231 ·
We were well prepared with the cooling vests on and like 4 frozen bottles of water. They were still frozen when we got here as we drank other bottles of cold woter.
We met two riders at a gas place.
The guy had a GL 1800 and the lady had some other type of Honda. They were returning from Washington DC and going back home to Nevada.
They were to pass Amarillo Tx. We advise them about the heat wave ahead of them but they did not care all that much. To me they did not seem well prepared for high heat. I hope they fared well.

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #233 ·
Rode 600 miles today from Yukon Ok to Grant NM. Temperatures stayed below 80F till Albuquerque. After that went up to 94 for the last leg.

I have called many dealers on my way and only Honda Polaris of Albuquerque had the adaptor in stock.
Since I was there I had a new tire installed in the back and new break pads .
The second bulb went out by the time we arrived here . I changed both and they look good.
Coming out of Oklahoma it was very windy and I have worn out whatever chicken strips I had left.
This is the picture from my window; typical for NM

·
Administrator
61,854 Posts
Peter,
We lived in Cedar Crest, NM on Hwy 14 about 3 miles north of I-40 from around '80 to '91

loved that country, always cool at night, our house was on the east side of Sandia Mountain at the 7,000 ft mark elevation. The basement was at 6982 ft :) :)

Bedrooms were on the uphill side, we just open all the windows at night, and it was always Blanket Weather on the hottest days... come night fall.

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #235 · (Edited)
You're right John. As we got up the temperature was just mid 60s. Lety was considerting to put some additional shirt on but I convinced her not to. We headed west on rt 40 which I guess is the same as old 66 around here.

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #238 ·
And a few more pics of petrified trees
They are from the end of Triassic period. One time there was a river in there.
These areas were close to Costa Rica part of Pangea Continent.
Talk about long ago.

"The Triassic is a geologic period and system which spans 50.6 million years from the end of the Permian Period 251.9 million years ago, to the beginning of the Jurassic Period 201.3 Mya. The Triassic is the first period of the Mesozoic Era.*Wikipedia"

·
Administrator
61,854 Posts
peter,
I looked at the EXIF data on that last picture, and your Nikon Coolpix does not have GPS capability, or else you turned that off?

was curious as to where the pix was taken.

221 - 240 of 439 Posts