Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
401 - 420 of 439 Posts

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,334 Posts
They used to hold that Balloon Festival right here in Glendale. As a staff photographer for the local newspaper, I covered it every year, got to go up in a balloon etc. We missed it when it moved to Appleturkey.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,674 Posts
We used to live in the ABQ area, and saw the balloons rising from the Rio Grande river banks a lot...
Impressive sight to see.

·
Premium Member
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #405 ·
No baloon fly today either. Left Albuquerque in 46F temp and windy.
Winds calmed down as we entered Colorado
but the temperature remained mid 40.We were dressed for it and used heated vests and gloves.
The new boots proved to be great.
The Million Dollar Highway is a bikers must do.
We are for the night in Ouray which is know as America's Switzerland
Water Sky Mountain Ecoregion Tree

·
Administrator
61,674 Posts
Great trip Peter, glad that you have friends with you to enjoy this ride.

·
Registered
2003 GL1800A
780 Posts
Thanks for the pics. When I did the Million Dollar Highway it was in white-out conditions, so I missed about a million dollars' worth of view.

·
Premium Member
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #412 ·
Glad you guys like it

Today we left Ouray for the Black Canyon of the Gunnison River. then we were to continue to Salida for a total of about 174 miles. In the plan was an easy enjoyable ride. We spent a bit of time at a waterfall in Ouray which was just a waste of time.

We arrived at the National Park within an hour. Impressive site. I took quite a few pics but simply they dont show the greatness of the place. We rode all the way to the end and stopped at about 3 places.

Finally we set the GPS for Salida via 50 West. Just another 120 miles or so. Weather was great so just a piece of cake to finish the ride with.

Not so. We rode for 20 mile East when found the road to be blocked. The guy in there told us the road will be closed for another 3.5 Hrs
Took 50 back for another 20 miles then 92 and back to 50 East. A 200 miles or so detour.
We circumvented the National park. We got to Salida in the cold and dark Had good dinner and retired for the night.
An exhausting day

·
Administrator
61,674 Posts
sorry to hear about the road being blocked.
not an unusual occurrence in that area....

·
Premium Member
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #415 ·
About 38F and still windy but we have to hit the road towards KS
Had a pleasant stay in Salida. We walked 1 mile to dinner and saw deer in a few occasions. We returned in the dark and saw a few more in the park. They were not to concerned about us
Wheel Car Land vehicle Cloud Tire

·
Premium Member
2008 GL1800
1,396 Posts
Peter,
What route are you taking across Kansas? Connie and I might be able to meet you guys for lunch or maybe dinner at your next overnight stop. It should be warming up some tomorrow, have a good ride.

401 - 420 of 439 Posts