Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
441 - 460 of 474 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 GL1800
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #441 ·
Today is Departure day. Weatherwise not looking good. Heading towards Orangeburg SC.
Here in Edgewater FL the highs are going to be 89F. Orangeburg SC 101F
For sure not fun to ride.
Unfortunately, we as a team are not early birds so well be cooking a bit. Actually steamed since we have cooling vests.
Im not fond of the trips that have a time schedule attached to it. Especially when departing from home.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
62,474 Posts
Today is Departure day. Weatherwise not looking good. Heading towards Orangeburg SC.
Here in Edgewater FL the highs are going to be 89F. Orangeburg SC 101F
For sure not fun to ride.
Unfortunately, we as a team are not early birds so well be cooking a bit. Actually steamed since we have cooling vests.
Im not fond of the trips that have a time schedule attached to it. Especially when departing from home.
My rule is,
we depart at Dawn O'thirty whether you are ready or not.
by 2 pm, I am parking and under an Air Conditioned space

that holds for our truck and Toy Hauler also, I gave my daughter fair warning just yesterday, that the RV had better be packed with every thing she wants,
if it ain't, it gets left behind.... and she knows that I mean it, it is a ritual with us, by 3 PM, the rig is parked in KOA or other spot, and the RV A/C is doing a good job.

·
Premium Member
2008 GL1800
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #443 ·
370 miles of hot ride.
We thought is going to be worse but managed.
Arrived at hotel at about 2PM.
For a short while we rode in 100F temperatures.
In the last 80 miles or so we hit light rain for a few minutes and temperature dropped quickly

We had the honor of having Michele and Doug have dinner with us .
They traveled from their home in Augusta for quite a distance.
Thank you guys. We had a lot of good laughs and interesting talk.
It's people like you that makes us happy to be part of this community .
We'll see you in a few days in Custer
Table Smile Chair Sharing Social group

·
Premium Member
2008 GL1800
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #446 ·
We're in Lexington Ky Rode part of the Back of the Dragon to get here. Decent ride but started a bit of rain as we got to Tazwell.The event of the day was when I pulled my thermos bottle from the holder and I heard " totong. totong and saw in my mirror the drink holder hitting the asphalt and rolling into a ditch. Luckly we found it
Another thing not going the right way is my wife head set. She can hear me fine but I only can hear her in occasion when she twists the cord. The problem is somewhere in her head set as we swapped cords and her head set continues to have the problem.
I hope I can find a helmet shop in Custer to buy another one
( No John we wont go to wireless)
The last few hours was again hot up to 97F. Tomorrow wont be different
Speedometer Odometer Car Vehicle Trip computer

·
Administrator
62,474 Posts
I had a few cords to connect to the wired helmets, but left them in Atlanta, GA with my son...
is there any frayed spots?

I can bring along a Soldering iron with a 1/8" tip on it, used it for a couple decades on some very fine wiring.....
will check here before we leave in the morning.

·
Premium Member
2008 GL1800
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #452 ·
The days final destination is Champaign IL. Some 320 miles for the day. Decent ride with the exception of that 30 min storm. It was a mini tornado if there is such an animal. Cars were pulling over and my wife was saying loudly a prayer. I was as cool as a cucumber. . Pulled into a gas station and waited a bit till it passed us..
Sky Land vehicle Vehicle Infrastructure Mode of transport
Wheel Sky Tire Car Vehicle

I carry a regular camera around my neck for quick special pictures.
We came across this very gorgeous bridge in Louisville KY I think. Way to fast for me to get the picture. Letizia got one or ywo but we got too close to it.

Regarding the headset I had proof positive it is the cord. I bent it the right way an rubber band it and it worked fine all the way. It will probably remain the same till we return home.

·
Premium Member
2008 GL1800
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #454 ·
We rode close to four hundred miles today. Started in the 70F and went great for most of the day, But the last hour and a half we had very strong cross winds/ It was difficult riding, but we arrived fine at the hotel with the temp around 90F.
We are within riding range of the Custer destination. Called them and added an extra day at the group rate.
Well see whoever is in there. tomorrow.
Hres is a "Thank you Mr President" picture
Temperature Measuring instrument Font Gas Machine
picture

·
Administrator
62,474 Posts
I didn't even get to fill up the tank, the worst I remember was $116 at home before we left, this pix is only a half tank, I tend to top off every time we see a place big enough to pull the RV into.

Really enjoying that Phillips 66 gas App on my phone, saving $0.25 per gallon thru the end of September :)

Font Screenshot Multimedia Software Number

·
Premium Member
2008 GL1800
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #456 ·
We arrived in Custer after a strong downpour. Custer is a touristic attraction town with a small full time population. It has lots of hotels/ motels and restaurants
We ate first night at a restaurant which did not impress us with their food.
Second night we went to Buglin' Bull Restaurant and Sports bar. The food was so good that we had to go back today. Same great experience. Osso Buco is the best we ever had

Met quite a few guys in here that we have met before. Our friends Ray and Debra were very pleased with the crowd and we introduced them to our biker friends. I had the pleasure of meeting Dennis but did not see Bike ( Bike and Dennis)
Aso we're happy met Mark ( Denver Winger)

Jeans Trousers Shorts Smile Chair

·
Premium Member
2008 GL1800
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #457 ·
In the way to Custer Letys intercom stopped working. I put a rubber band around the cord and it was good for another day
Then it totally cut my wife ability to speak to me while riding, It was very uncomfortable.
I kept in touch with John AZ GL1800 and he brought with him a soldering iron and solder
I am very happy that I have it fixed.

Today Ray, Debra, Wife and I rode to Wyoming to see Devi's Tower.
It is worth the trip. Very impressive. About 867 ft tall and about 1.3 mile to circumvent the base. Much better than Crazy Horse or Mount Rushmore where the presidents sculpture are.
It was fun and we might return some day. Tomorrow AM we'll head to N Dakota .
Here are two pictures of Devil's Tower. In the center of one of them you can see 2 or 3 climbers
Sky Plant Mountain Tree Bedrock
Plant Plant community Nature Bedrock Wood

·
Administrator
62,474 Posts
was happy to bring along the ole soldering iron kit, glad the Flux was still good. that can has to be 30+ years old now.

·
Premium Member
2008 GL1800
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #459 · (Edited)
Unfortunately, we could not stay in Custer for auction day. I hope Lety's painting earns a lot of $$$ for charity. She has put a lot of effort, love and passion into it.

We took the road North to N Dakota. . Not too many turns in there
Sky Tire Wheel Car Automotive tire

Then as I caught up with a truck and preparing to pass it the driver stepped hard on the brakes.
The truck jack knifed a bit.
Ray , behind me managed to stop too with not much space to spare

441 - 460 of 474 Posts