Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
461 - 480 of 481 Posts

·
Pwhoever
3,467 Posts
Thank you to you and Ray for the 50/50 tickets for little Mike but unfortunately those ones didn't win. Although it was a Mike that was the winner but it wasn't me either. He donated his winning back for the tent...

·
Premium Member
2008 GL1800
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #464 ·
Left Dickenson behind and rode to see Roosevelt National Park. We made the mistake of believing that it could be ridden from North to South, so we went to N entrance. Rode 14 miles into it till the end of the road

Cloud Sky Plant Mountain Outdoor recreation

·
Premium Member
2008 GL1800
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #465 ·
With rain in the distance, we put the rain gear on us and headed into Montana. The riding condition quickly deteriorated and strong winds were slapping the bikes left and right. In a short while we had rain coming down and the winds calmed down a bit.
We lost Ray and Debra over the road and spoke a quick few word on CB while they were stopped for gas, and we were passing by on the highway or vice versa.
Arrived in Forsyth Montana at hotel and got together with our friends.
For dinner we went to a local, old diner with some home cooked food. We chatted about the riding condition.

The young waitress had the most amazing eyes I ever saw, I would describe it as a dark blue sky.
We tipped her generously and I added " for your eyes only"
She politely smiled and thanked us and we all agreed that she has unusual, beautiful eyes,

The hotel is an old place but well-kept next to a railroad station or something like that.
Its 50F outside and were getting ready for breakfast and for what the day brings

·
Premium Member
2008 GL1800
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #466 ·
Nice comfortable ride all day We started well dressed for the 50s temperature. From Billings we headed on 212 to Red Lodge.
We could see a bit of the damage the flood did to some buildings. Most Red Lodge is intact from what I saw. And is open for business.
Unfortunately, Chief Joseph Highway is closed on the southern part towards Bear Tooth Pass.
Cloud Sky Mountain Ecoregion Plant

·
Premium Member
2008 GL1800
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #467 ·
On the way to Wapiti, our final destination for the day, we stopped in Cody for some shopping and early dinner.
We arrived in wapiti and saw our motel in the middle of the mountains. What a treat!

Mountain Sky Cloud Plant Vehicle

·
Premium Member
2008 GL1800
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #468 ·
Spent a day in Yellowstone Park the Southern Loop. We saw two Grizzly bears in one occasion down by a lake. The ranger made sure everybody kept their distance. Buffalos are everywhere and in one occasion there were hundreds of them grazing on the hills. We saw many of them by the road resting or asleep.

The most important picture I took in the back of the motel.
An engineer from Cody bought the land and start building his house on top of the hill. He worked at it part time for ten years while fully employed in Cody some 20 miles East
Sky Finial Pagoda Temple Steeple
of here.
Most likely everybody using the East entrance for the park has seen it
By his own admission he had another 10 years to go till the finish.
Unfortunately, in 92 he fell down from it to his death. His name was Frances Lee Smith

·
Pwhoever
3,467 Posts
I wondered about that house as we passed by it Sunday as well. You gave me the clue to find more. I came across several pages that gave further info. Here is one that has some interesting photos along with more of the story:

·
Premium Member
2008 GL1800
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #471 ·
I have an odd license plate number and Ray has an even one. Because we are a group, we were allowed to enter the Yellowstone Sunday, but Only I was allowed Monday.
We were going to Great Tetons, so Tish and I decided to join Ray and Debra going around thru Thermopolis.
A decent long ride of about 320 miles.
We are in Jackson visiting the Tetons. Tish and I tried this 10 years ago, but the snowy condition turned us around.
Jackson Hole as they call it is gorgeous and EXPENSIVE.
A room that would be around $80.00 any other place cost about $240,00. Restaurants are expensive too.
We rode around the area and had a good time. Well stay for another night and tomorrow depart to another destination
Mountain Sky Cloud Plant Ecoregion
Mountain Plant Sky People in nature Natural landscape
Photograph Ecoregion World White Map

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
62,601 Posts
Christmas 1978-79

We stayed with friends i Yellowstone Park at a Condo they had a 2 week's ownership in....
that place was Expensive then also.......

We were out snowmobiling and a blizzard came up, and we got caught out, with two babies 4 & 5 years old......
knocked on the door of a hotel to get a room to get the babies warmed up.... they were suffering from Frost Bite to their feet.....
my wife and I, placed the babies inside our coveralls to keep them warm, but 50 mph winds in -20*F weather is hard to protect against and NO Windshileds on snowmobiles.

placed the babies in medium warm water in the tubs, and gradually warmed it up to just feeling warm to our hands.........
my daughter still has Frost Bite issues with her feet, and she is now 50 years old.

·
Premium Member
2008 GL1800
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #473 ·
Close to 300 miles for today. Very good condition till almost the end.
Saw this in the distance when we only had 27 miles to go. Put the rain gear on and marched forward. Not a good idea.
We were shaken left and right by violent winds and and very powerful rain. Visibility was minimal and quite a few cars around. It lasted for like 15 min/ Awful!
We are in Provo UT
I'm
Cloud Sky Plant Mountain Ecoregion
hearing in the news they have the hardest drought in 100 years.
Go figure!

·
Just one of the guys
4,860 Posts
You went right past us, we are in Ogden UT. Headed on westward tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
2008 GL1800
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #475 ·
The ride was nice in good weather. We stopped in Canyonlands NP. One can ride around it for like 30 miles or so.
Brown Sky Mountain Bedrock Natural landscape

We were guests of The Navajo Tribe in Mexica Hat.
The accommodations were decent with a restaurant on site.
Monument Valley AZ is within 12 miles, so the nightly price is a bit steep.
Life is rough around here. Drinkable water is scarce for the average local.
San Juan river is like hot chocolate.
The Monument Valley is on Navajo land too so you have to pay $16 to enter the park.
Then we found out that we must take a tour since they don't allow bikes, ATV, campers to tour it. They wanted $85 per person to give you a ride in a truck with benches on it. we said "NIET". The man quickly lowered it to $70/person.
"NIET" we said.
While we walked away, he chased us and said we have a deal at $50 per person. We stuck with "NIET"

You only can be interested in a certain amount of rock formation. 
Brown Cloud Sky Natural landscape Bedrock

Sky Natural environment Bedrock Natural landscape Cloud

The next picture is my favorite.
If one looks back to our trip to Savannah GA, we have a pic in a park where Forest Gump set chatting with a lady while waiting for the bus.
In the next picture there was a shot of Forest Gump jugging with people fallowing him. Then he stopped and spoke
"I think I'll go home now" The photo op is called Forrest Gump Point

Plant Sky Mountain Road surface Asphalt

And just like Forest Gump we'll turn East and head home.

Good night from your hosts

Cloud Head Sky Daytime Ecoregion

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
62,601 Posts
Peter,
I used to wander all over the Navajo Country from 1981 thru 1991 when I worked for the pipeline companies....
at that time, I never saw a place where I had to pay a fee to drive through and around.
I found some very small museums in some of the tiny stopping points, areas of less than 3 to 5 buildings total.

Wish I still had the pictures that I took then.

·
Registered
1993 GL1500 Aspy 1980 GL1100 STD
1,082 Posts
Some really nice pictures! :)

Reactions: Peter Goldwing

·
Premium Member
2008 GL1800
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #478 ·
Not much to report today/ About 360 miles brought us to Moriarty NM. Good ride nice temperature. Just a bit long with not much to see

And just in case you forgot, clicking on this link shows you our location by the hour, day or month

·
Premium Member
2008 GL1800
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #479 · (Edited)
Yesterday we stayed in Big Spring TX, an economically depressed area after the ride thru desolated Southeast New Mexico
Today we arrived in San Antonio TX and will be here for two days

·
Premium Member
2008 GL1800
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #480 ·
Made it home yesterday. Almost 4 weeks on the road. We stayed more than one night at the same location in 4 occasions.
I guess we travelled for 6k miles or more. Bike issues- none,
Gas high $560. Gas low $3.80 or so. Accomplishment: Visited Monument Valley AZ, Theodore Roosevelt National Park, and added North Dakota to my bike ridden states, the last of the 48 contiguous states.
Encountered the most adverse riding condition of my experience: powerful winds from different direction with heavy rain.
While Ray and Debra have less riding experience, they were par with us and were great companionship.
Very happy to be home.
Below is our track ( I forgot to turn the Spot on in one occasion)
Thanks for following us
World Ecoregion Map Black Rectangle

461 - 480 of 481 Posts