Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm living in Tucson, AZ. Just became aware that the MotoGP will be in Austin soon.
Planning to camp.
Anyone interested in riding there or meeting up?

·
Administrator
58,730 Posts
Nice little two day ride there, unless you plan on leaving at 0-dark thirty and riding until the sun don't shine.... that is a long long day.... and it is warm down there now. 1 day, gulp the gas, 2 days enjoy the ride, it is cheaper.

That is 5 fuel stops at a minimum.... because you won't be riding slow...
and there will be the usual headwinds from the SSE that will drop your mpg...

When I ride thru that country, my average mph is about 85, and that literally siphons the gas out of the fuel tank.

Thursday April 26

Partly Cloudy 85°/ 66°
20% chance of rain ( which in Texas means none )
SSE 13 mph 65%k ( which in Texas means always )

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see it is just one week away, and 900 miles. Gonna have to get started, soon!!
If they only would have advertised MotoGP, I would have been more aware, earlier. Don't the pros call that "exploitation"? You gotta make the people aware of what they want. My mind has been on Stanley Cup hockey, and hadn't clicked on MotoGP websites in weeks. Didn't even know they had a race in Argentina! And it was a wild one!!!

I'm still wrangling the camp gear together. My usual stuff is in storage in Illinois.

I've been through Texas, and it is pretty dull. If I avoid I-10, it will turn into a 3 day ride.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, yeah...... I read your treatise on gas mileage last month, AZgl1800! ha,ha
I'm still figuring out what style to ride. A couple weeks ago I rode from Laughlin, to Tucson, 350 miles. I didn't speed at all. Think I set it a tick or two above 70, but rode at 65 for long stretches. Calculated 2 of the tanks and got 38, I think. It really doesn't add up to much money, but I FEEL better when the machine gets the mpg God intended. Riding at 85 mph induces anxiety, too. Gotta focus on trucks, gotta look in rear view for coppers, gotta keep sharp for road debris...... It is all a little more dicey at 85.
On the other hand, Texas.

One of my bedrock reasons for riding, all the way back to my first cycle, is gas mileage. I believe you should get 40 mpg out of your machine- or just get a Civic. Think about it, we are making huge compromises in safety and convenience. There should be a payout. My 96 VFR gets 42mpg if I cruise at 65-70.

Anyway, my trip back from Laughlin, was much more enjoyable than trip there. 350 mi took me 7 hrs (from 10am to 5pm) I'm not crazy about 400+ days. Like to stop and goof off. Stop for historical markers, have a beer at a VFW hall, walk around, etc.... Camping will get me rolling closer to dawn, but also ready to get the heck off at 3pm

Thanks for your input, fellas. I'll watch my speed and the weather 8-P
Didn't think to find race fans on this site, but thought someone may be ready to ride and camp.

·
Administrator
58,730 Posts
I hope to have "much improved" mpg figures in future.

the ole girl now sports this with a much lower profile up front, like it is 9 inches lower at the top edge than before!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Found a couple of camp sites for the ride there. First night in Ft. Davis, second night in New Braunfels. 60 at night, 80's during the day.
Found a hotel room for Saturday night- about 90 minutes from the track. Rain is expected on Saturday night.
May make some new friends at the campground/track. Riders/campers will do anything to get out of the rain!

This trip should be rough, but the MotoGP will be a highlight of the year. This will be my 4th one, and I really love the excitement and the machines.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Weather has changed! How 'bout that?

Temps are down about 10 deg across the board, and rain predicted on Friday and Saturday.

Was going to spend today at the track, visiting and looking around. Instead I"m in motel room, watching X-Files and hockey.
I-10 across Texas lives up to it's reputation. It sucks.
Thursday, first day, was a pretty good 550 mi day. The road from I-10 south to Ft. Davis is really cool. TX-118 (and TX-17 back to I-10) winds through the Davis Mountains, "the Texas Alps". Not bad. In about 50 miles of twistys, I passed 3 cars oncoming, and caught one car going south, with me.

Friday was brutal. Headwinds and buffeting. Most of the tanks I got 25mpg! The sky went from sunny, to grey, to sunny, then back to grey and cold. When I reached Guadalupe River valley it was freezing. Had my electric vest. 3 layers wasn't enough. Figured I couldn't camp, and had to push on another 3 hours to my Saturday night motel room. They had a vacancy.

Last observation about mileage. Had been filling up at 100-120 mi on the odo. Second day, I pulled off at Ft. Stockton early, to check tires and clean bugs. Was taking my time, had 87 mi on the odo. Didn't plan on fueling up, but did because I was dawdling and there was no line. The next fuel stop was at Ozona, and that was 107 away! If I had not fueled up at Ft. Stockton, would have been pushing that big black machine. Catastrophe!!!
Some fuel stops were 60 mi apart. If you flirt with going over 100, you can get in a heap of trouble in the West. I guess everyone has GPS with fuel search, now? I left mine at home for some reason. And my miles per gallon fluctuated from 36 down to 24.

Waking up early and getting to the track tomorrow!

Then reverse this whole process to get back to Tucson :smile2:

·
Administrator
58,730 Posts
You are doing something wrong. Even at your worst mileage you will get 150 miles per tank without going dry. At 36 mpg you easily get over 200.

Sorry Dennis, he is dead right, and his 1500 is running like it should.

I have been across that country, in exactly the same coditions, and what he says is the truth.... I actually missed Ft. Stockton and ran out of gas just as I pulled up to a little tiny board shack that had a single gas pump, and candy bars, and a coke machine setting outside the building....

you don't pass gas stations in West Texas, you top off...

My 1500 coming home from Florida to PHoenix had fuel figures exactly like what he is saying.... lows of 22-23 and highs of 39... depends on headwinds and the throttle.... put that throttle above 3500 into a headwind, and the 1500 drops mpg like a stone.

do you remember my fuel chart? a spreadsheet documenting 3,000+ miles, and the overall average was exactly 33.2 mpg

·
Administrator
58,730 Posts
You're right.
I'm riding wrong.
Sideways?
Malcom,

how much are you putting into the tank on average at each fillup?

Here is something to compare your bike against a '98SE travelling from Corpus Christi, TX to Mesa, AZ

Here are a few lines from my Spreadsheet:

There were 3 fillups where I was traveling consistently at 85 mph on each leg. the average mpg was about 26 mpg as you can see.

There is a whole lot of that spreadsheet we aren't seeing, it is over 3 pages covering almost 4,000 miles.

·
Administrator
58,730 Posts
oh, the 7 gallon fillup?

that was two trips in the mountains with my son riding the bike, he didn't keep a record at the time, so I just merged two trips into one. it was easy for me to get the gallons, as the price of fuel was the same everywhere.
and I looked at the bank debit charges.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The gusty winds were the worst I've ever experienced. It was right up there in top 10 worst riding days, for my life. Not like being hit with a baseball bat, more like a plastic whiffle bat. Over and over....

I know that I've said this before....

Today, going West, I'm taking it easy and seeing the sights. No more 85 mph, no matter what the posted limit is :)

My fillups are usually 4 gal, between 100-150 mi on odo.

Hey, had a nice fill-up story on my first trip from Chi to Tucson:
Got worried about 150 mi, was doing some mental calcs about the capacity of the tank, much like Bike..Dennis. Pulled off, engine dies on ramp/driveway to gas station!
It dies!
Pump it up, look at readout = 6.03 gal.
Isn't the capacity my tank 6.1 gal? It was middle of nowhere, railroad town in New Mexico. IF I don't pull off, would have been f###ed.

Races were pretty good. COTA is nice on the inside, but has a messed up parking situation. Views are great because track is not flat. You can sit on hills and watch 3 different turns. Beer was 9 dollars!
Got sunburned on legs, but wore a floppy hat.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As long as this is turning into a MPG thread....
I thought it was a COTA, MotoGP, Trips and Events thread???:|

Searching my memory, I've had so, so many close calls! The Wing and VFR are the first cycles I've owned with fuel gauges. With the gauge going beyond the F, and falling below the E (falling below the orange, the E, and the white line below the E), the fuel gauge is only an aide.

Under your direction, AZgl1800, I bent my fuel sensor arm down. It seems better and more helpful. Especially, when you get 23 mi/gal.

I'm sitting in an old motel in Van Horn, TX and I can't remember running out of fuel and pushing the cycle! It had to happen!? Remember 10+ close calls. My last was in Kansas and knocking on doors of businesses and asking where to get fuel in their town. Would have to admit that most of my riding has been East of the Mississippi, and only close calls. Pre- cell phone.
Would remember pushing, right??!?:?
I gotta lay down and think about it.

Hey, always a beating wind. If I keep criss-crossing this Great Nation, why don't I get a tail wind?

·
Administrator
58,730 Posts
MPG always seems to crop up when someone mentions "close call" it took x.y gallons to fill up... :rofl:

I can easily remember my trip across I-10 from New Orleans to El Paso and onward west....
a lot of it is boring, but if you are traveling at a leisurely pace, there is a lot to see to the sides of the roads.

When my daughter drives the car, I am continually looking out the side glass and commenting to her on things that I have not seen before....

Last month, I took a leisurely slow poke ride on my bike, covered about 12-14 miles total, but it took me about an hour and a half.... I saw things that I had never noticed. Got off and took pictures. Looked around and observed the different agricultural techniques, the different types of architecture that the homes and buildings had taken over the last century.

There is this one homestead where 3 homes are built within about 150 yards apart of each other.
It is pretty easy to see where the grand-parents started making their lives... nice home, but basic #105 style shiplap siding.

Then the kids decided to stay home, and they built a brick home over to the west next to the fence line.... it was rock, sandstone styling, with wood shingles.

and then closer to the main road, in the center between the first two homes, I am betting that some grandkids built a really nice home.... lots of bucks went into that last home....

Just conjecture as to who lives in each home... Maybe the original family, as they improved their finances decided to build up a newer home and let some of the kids have the original home to start out a new married life in?

12 miles, 90 minutes, lots of pictures, and I enjoyed it all.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
On 290 West from Austin to Junction...

I stopped to drink beer in a historical cemetery. (just before bed, and without risky riding for sure) and several of the markers said, "killed by Indians", and many people were dead by 30. Felps family was well represented.
It was something I probably have ridden past 50 times in 50 years.
The details are poignant, yet anonymous.
Texas is interesting.

Why anyone would want to live in West Texas, is beyond me.
The Spanish were only interested in New Mexico. They realized the desert East of there was a wasteland and not worth settling. I'm thinking that with some cooler heads and less weaponry, Mexico could have had a pan-handle sticking up into the U.S. West of San Antonio (nice place!) is just desolate.

We could have sold it!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts