Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title suggests, I went to the nearest dealers open house Saturday with the wife. (Wexford,Pa.) BMW-Ducati-Triumph Nice people and decent food, but the test rides all had to be pre-registered, and the lines were long. I went to see the Trophy SE and I'm tempted, but the 1600 Beemer was also very intriguing. Deffinately a different riding style with even less storage than my old Interstate. The main attraction for me was finding something twenty or so years newer in the same general weight range of my 1200.

Still nosing around for a clean ST 1300 or Concours 1400. Don't really need 110+ HP, but Mama says she's done with long trips and camping so I'm not looking for a 850+ lb ride.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
Best of luck in your search Terry. I will keep my eyes open.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,341 Posts
Uh, Shooter...
...the GL12 is one of the best sport-touring bikes ever made. If it's not taking you through the tight & twisty fast enough, you're doing it wrong.
Also, if I'm not mistaken, The ST and Kaw both weigh more than the Interstate.
I do, however, see your point about a newer machine, but the 'Wing should really be as reliable as a newer machine, if well maintained.

·
Premium Member
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The main attraction for me was finding something twenty or so years newer in the same general weight range of my 1200.
Like I said, looking for something newer in the same weight range. The specs I have are for an 08 St1300- 719lbs wet with 7.7gals of fuel.

09 Connie is listed @606lbs dry, but she holds the same gas as the Wing/5.8gals. Both are about 4 1/2" shorter than my 1200.

I saw C.J.'s ST at Hamburg during the NASSIR get-together and liked it. If he and Red can ride to New York from Oregon two-up, I'm sure it'll get my skinny ass around just fine.

The 86-I has always done everything I've asked of it :bow: Just looking at something younger/sexier. Besides, I think that I can appreciate the kids inheritance better than they will... ;)

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
I have a friend who gets to break in the new Triumphs before the magazines get them to write about them, he said the SE is impressive and that is from a traditionalist no fairing M/C rider. He tours x-country on his 06 Tiger 955, 2 up every year, has 2 Bonnevilles(wife rides), a street triple along with a '78 GS1000 in the garage. He said that SE is tempting him to get a full fairing bike.

·
1984 GL1200 Interstate
58 Posts
Shooter,

Don't overlook Yamaha's sport tourer, the FJR 1300... Faster, cheaper, more reliable, and easier to work on than the ST or the Connie, IMHO.

CrabbyJack

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Triumph / st1300

Shooter if you still are thinking of ST1300 please PM me. I will be happy to share all my info with you. I am about to put my 2004 on market.

·
Premium Member
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Shooter if you still are thinking of ST1300 please PM me. I will be happy to share all my info with you. I am about to put my 2004 on market.

P.M.'s sent, thankyou...

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
I wouldn't buy a BMW for half price. Just to many problems, and they are not cheap. Many late model BMWs have had final drive failures, which cost thousands $$$ to fix.

I have no problem with the reliability of any Triumph, only one I am interested in though is the Bonneville.

Be careful about the ST and Concours. I have sat on both. The riding position is way to sporty for me. The bars are to low and to far forward, and the pegs to high and to far back. I bought a brand new '09 Kawasaki EX500 Ninja, and wound up putting less than 5000 miles in it in 3 years before selling it. Anything over 100 miles caused severe pain that lasted a couple of days. The ST and Connie have the same riding position.

Other than the Goldwing, most of my bikes have been cruisers and dual sports. I have ridden the Goldwing 1200, 1500, and 1800. All feel fine to me. Upright position, forward pegs, no weight on your arms and shoulders, and no neck straining. And your legs are not bent up like pretzels underneath you.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
Shooter,

Don't overlook Yamaha's sport tourer, the FJR 1300... Faster, cheaper, more reliable, and easier to work on than the ST or the Connie, IMHO.

CrabbyJack
The police forces in the UK have gone over almost exclusively to the FJR1300. They absolutely love them I know, from having talked to some who have ridden them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.