Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The bike will start and rpms will come up for a second and die if temp over 45 degree's it will starts ok can someone help. I am a new member dont know quet how this works with question and anwsers or replys not much of a computer user but learning.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
The bike will start and rpms will come up for a second and die if temp over 45 degree's it will starts ok can someone help
Perhaps the carb mixture is getting too Lean at the lower temps (due to increased air density)... This could be caused by Air Leakage downstream of the carb.

Check the Rubber Isolators between the carb and intake manifold, verifying that the hose clamps (4 total) are snug... You can reach them with a 1ft long phillips screwdriver, once the side panels are removed for access.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Are you using the choke ? I must use the choke on my bike for a few if not it will stall on me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you

Perhaps the carb mixture is getting too Lean at the lower temps (due to increased air density)... This could be caused by Air Leakage downstream of the carb.

Check the Rubber Dampners between the carb and intake manifold, verifying that the hose clamps (4 total) are snug... You can reach them with a 1ft long phillips screwdriver, once the side panels are removed for access.
thank you for the info i will check that and see what happens

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Welcome to the forum Thomas
Is this a new bike to you?
As asked above, are you using the choke at start up? (left control grip, push lever down @ 3/4 way)
Let us know what you find with the clamps or are using proper start techniques as listed in the owner manual.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Also introduce yourself in the new members section and tell us about your bike.
We like pictures.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,674 Posts
As above,
in cool/cold weather the "choke" which is actually a Fuel Enrichment valve needs to be "full on".

First give the throttle a full open twist, wait a couple of seconds and then hit the starter button.

Leave the "choke" full on to keep RPMs above 2,000

On my bike, I let it go up to about 3,000 RPM for a short while and then back off the choke to bring the RPMs down to about 2,500

Do not use the throttle during the first minute or so, the engine will usually die if you do.

Usually when the RPMs will stabilize at 2,500 or less, I put it in gear and go ride. After a mile or so, I turn the choke 'off' but have been guilty of forgetting to do so :badgrin:

Unlike a lot of folks, I leave my idle control set at about 1,000 RPM, that makes sure that the alternator keeps the battery charged if stopped for a bit and the fans are running.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for advice on coldn start

:)

Check the Rubber Isolators between the carb and intake manifold, verifying that the hose clamps (4 total) are snug... You can reach them with a 1ft long phillips screwdriver, once the side panels are removed for access.[/QUOTE Thank for the advice on the air leak on the intake that cured my problems it made a big deffernce

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.