Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 GL1800 with 80,000 km. I'm always having an issue trying to put the bike into neutral. The indicator light works fine. The issue is trying to lock the shift pedal into gear. It keeps flipping past neutral no matter which direction I am trying from, especially when the bike is cold. Sometimes it takes me quite a few tries and a very light touch with my foot to get it to stick there. Can anyone please assist me with this issue?

Thanks

·
Registered
476 Posts
Dont know about the 1800, never even seen one here in UK never mind riden one but all the old Hondas (1970-80) you needed to find neutral as you rolled to a stop not after stopping.

·
Administrator
26,541 Posts
There could be a problem with the stopper arm spring on the shift drum behind the front transmission cover.

Reactions: CrystalPistol

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,160 Posts
I have an '02 gl1800 and it was a bit contrary in the past.

After I changed the oil to Rotella T6 in 5w40 it never gave me that problem again.
I just use a very light pressure on the shifter, and roll the bike a bit, and it goes right into Neutral.

·
Registered
2003 GL1800A
552 Posts
Are you saying it keeps flying past Neutral?

Where is your foot on the peg when you're doing the shifting?

On past bikes that were ornery in this regard I found it easier to move my foot slowly forward on the peg and use the top of my foot to ease it into Neutral, rather than trying to use the smaller muscles in the ankle to bring the tip of my toes up.

Reactions: CrystalPistol

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
This bike doesn't by chance have heel & toe shift does it?

As tamathumper describes above "move my foot slowly forward on the peg and use the top of my foot to ease it into Neutral, rather than trying to use the smaller muscles in the ankle to bring the tip of my toes up" … gives very pecise control on stroke of shift.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Yup, i read there are a few about but not many, remember we are all short roads traffic lights and corners here.

·
1,716 Posts
Yup, i read there are a few about but not many, remember we are all short roads traffic lights and corners here.
At last year's GWEF meeting in Bishop Auckland there were many GL1800s, but maybe they were like me all from the rest of Europe? :)
Most GWOCGB members that I know ride on the GL1800 (but I don't know that many either).

·
Administrator
26,541 Posts
A good reason to ride an 1800 instead of a 1500, lighter and more nimble. We used to have several members from the UK that owned GL1800s.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts