Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am having trouble with a starter motor on a 1993 Aspencade. A couple of years ago the starter would stay engaged after the engine was running. The Bike shop put in a rebuilt starter that worked for a few weeks and then the problem was intermitent. I changed the starter switch and this seemed to help for a few months then the problem started again. The starter finally burned out. I am going to change out the starter motor again but am wondering if a relay or something else may be causing the real problem and burning the motor out. Do any of you have any thoughts about what it going on? I hate to put in another motor and miss the real problem. I appreciate any help I can get to solve this problem and get back on the road.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

It's probably the starter relay.

And welcome to the forum.:claps::blackstuff:

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

Sounds like your solenoid is sticking a little. had that happen and burnt out a starter on a different bike. Check your starter button for stickiness to.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Sounds like 2 different problems. I don't know what the starter setup is on a 1500. Some bikes have starter clutches, some use a Bendix type unit to spin the starter gear out of engagement with whatever it engages with, whether that is a gear or a chain. I have yet to see a motorcycle starter with a "solenoid" those are used on car starters, and are an electromagnetic plunger that pushes the starter gear into engagement with the flywheel, then the Bendix spins it back as soon as the flywheel speed exceeds the starters speed. A starter that continues to turn after the engine starts can be one of 2 different problems. If the starter actually stays engaged, the engine will quickly destroy the starter and the starter drive. If it is just spinning and not engaged with the engine, it could be a stuck switch, or a stuck relay (what many people mistakenly call the solenoid). it is actually nothing but a larger switch to send current to the starter, since the starter button lacks the capacity to handle the kind of current a starter draws. In order to "burn out" a starter, it would have to be subjected to a greater load than it was deigned for, causing it to draw more amps than it is supposed to, a short or open circuit in the starter winding somewhere, or just a worn out starter with a weak winding that was used to many times. Also do not confuse worn out brushes with a burned out starter. I don't even know if the 1500 starter has brushes, or if so whether they are replaceable replaceable.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks everybody for your help. I will replace the starter and the relay. The switch has just been replaced with a new one. Hope this solves the problem. I am getting riders withdrawls. I need to get back on the road.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.