Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I've just replaced the head gaskets on my 1983 GL 1100 and everything has gone smoothly until I attempted to put on the new timing belts. I have both pulleys with their marks in the appropriate spot and the timing cap off so I can see the marks as I turn the crankshaft. The problem is I am not able to turn it all the way to the T1 mark -- I am able to turn it ... and I can find the T2 mark, but if I go too far in either direction from there the crankshaft quits turning. Any suggestions?

Lamar

·
Premium Member
12,700 Posts
imported post

It seems as though you have a piston / valve contact . When you installed the heads did you have the engine on TDC #1cylinder .Look at the valves on the head that you can not set the cam . Are any of the valves partially open (depressed by the rockers) ?If so,At this point I would remove the cams and get the crank set at the correct marks . Then reinstall the cams and belts .

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks. I think you hit the nail on the head (no pun intended) I forgot to readjust the cylinders after cleaning and before putting on the head.

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
imported post

More than likely the T1 mark was not aligned before you pulled the heads or the crankshaft got turned while the heads were off. Sounds like a piston is hitting an open valve when you turn the crankshaft.
Don't try to force turning the crankshaft which will cause damage to a valve and/or a piston.
I'm thinking I would loosen all the valve adjustmentsfor all the valves so that theyare all closed; then set the crankshaft to T1; then install the timing belts. I know this is time consuming because now you have to adjust all the valves but this would be easier for me than removing the heads again.
Might be easier to remove the cams as suggested above.
Maybe someone else will have an easier fix.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Finally got to the mark by rotating the cam (which is now in the wrong spot) so I will disassemble that one and hopefully be back in business....Thanks for your quick help by the way -- I really want to ride this weekend.

·
Premium Member
12,700 Posts
imported post

Glad you were able to sort the problem . By the way :waving:Hello and Welcome . Please visit often . I think your on the right track to that ride this weekend :action:.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

LamarCycle wrote:
Finally got to the mark by rotating the cam (which is now in the wrong spot) so I will disassemble that one and hopefully be back in business....Thanks for your quick help by the way -- I really want to ride this weekend.
Why disassemble it?

After finding T1 with the crank.. rotate the crank one way or another by about60 to 90 degrees to get the pistons out of the way.. (degrees not critical), but remember which way you turned it.. now put the cam in the correct position.. now bring the crank back to T1 ... 5 minutes..

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Exactly as Sandiegobrass said, turning the crank 90 degrees from T1 will leave all four pistons half way down the bores.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Now that I'm past this point, I wonder if you could answer me this:

I've got all the marks lined up, belts on, and I can turn the crankshaft 720 degrees (numerous times), but how should it feel? It seems like at times it is super easy to turn while at other points it takes a little more effort (not a lot -- just more.) There are no spark plugs in (which I assume would account for some pressure buildup), so I am left wondering is this normal?

·
Administrator
24,633 Posts
imported post

You will feel valve spring pressure against the cams at certain points so maybe that's what you feel.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Ahhhh.....that eases my mind to read that....well, off to set the valve clearance, timing, and start her up. :action:

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
imported post

Have you read about burping the bike after replacing Anti-freeze? Be sure and only run a few minutes at a time and check coolant level after each time.. Especially don't let run long on the first start.. This can take a day or two of checking..

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
imported post

sandiegobrass wrote:
LamarCycle wrote:
Why disassemble it?

After finding T1 with the crank.. rotate the crank one way or another by about60 to 90 degrees to get the pistons out of the way.. (degrees not critical), but remember which way you turned it.. now put the cam in the correct position.. now bring the crank back to T1 ... 5 minutes..
If you are using the bolt on the alternator to line up the timing marks, ONLY turn it in a clockwise (bolt tightening) direction. That bolt coming loose can cause you all sorts of grief!

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

78AZWING wrote:
sandiegobrass wrote:
LamarCycle wrote:
Why disassemble it?

If you are using the bolt on the alternator to line up the timing marks, ONLY turn it in a clockwise (bolt tightening) direction. That bolt coming loose can cause you all sorts of grief!
Do NOTuse this alternator bolt.. this method requires that you turn it both ways.. use the crank bolt... that is the best way anyway, as long as you have the belt covers off..

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

morriscatt wrote:
Have you read about burping the bike after replacing Anti-freeze? Be sure and only run a few minutes at a time and check coolant level after each time.. Especially don't let run long on the first start.. This can take a day or two of checking..
I did not read about burping the anti-freeze but I have been checking it pretty often (since I was replacing gaskets I'm trying to make sure the level isn't dropping like it did before.) Can you explain a little more though?

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

jimsjinx wrote:
:?Well? Is she runnin'? Can't stand the suspense!!:cheeky1::action:jimsjinx
Sorry about the suspense....it's been an hectic day. I did get her going and everything seems to be great. I'm watching her pretty closely (and will be for a week or so) but thanks to all of ya'll I have a functioning Wing again. Thanks everybody!:action:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.