Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

inreferanceto '05, GL1800.

I have determined that some type of bump-stop needs to be added to the trunk lid. The automotive industry addressed this issue by placingrubber stops on car trunk lids and hoods.

The issue:

Pressure on the lid from even the co-pilots backrest is too much for the weather seal of the lid to support itself for any length of time. And using a trunk rack just adds to the problems of rubbing off paint. (thereis also the fact that the henges are weak.)

I have done the tubing in the weather strip fix.

Anybody add anything to there trunk to support the added weight and use of a trunk rack?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,502 Posts
imported post

For sure there is a lot of ways to do things. My jeep has those little rubber bumpers on both the hood and the rear hatch. They have all compressed, some are loose, some have totally split and are full of cracks. Bottom line is they will all eventually compress.

With the trunk situation on the Wings it makes a very significant difference on what kind of tubing you use for the repair that has one insert tubing into the weather strip seal.

Good quality Polybutelene (however you spell it) is tough stuff and will never compress. It is a gray color tubing you can obtain at a plumbing supply house, or you can buy it by the foot at Lowes.

Kit
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6 Posts
imported post

Check out wingriderproducts.com. They make a trunk support setup for the GL1800 truck lid. Costs about $45. I've seen it spoken highly of on other forums and have told my she can buy me one for Christmas.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

There must be a better way? (Wingrider product)

This looks interesting, but heavy and expensive,for what its ment to do.


Examples: This thing looks like it would cause more damage then it was ment to fix!

Look as though it is using the mounting points of the Tail lights? I would be afraid of damaging those expensive lens's

Plastic tabs on top looks good. Any better idea for the lower? (A do it your-self fix, perhaps)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6 Posts
imported post

You might look at GL1800riders.com forum. There are several threads regarding this issue some of which address home-grown fixes and some discussion of the Wingrider equipment.

Good luck.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

here is what I came up with thus far....

I Placed rubber 1/2" X 1/2" blocks over the inner prongs of the hood latches. (Drilled a hole in the center of the block)Then 1/4" tall rubber feet off a junk VCR (screws fit inside of the feet and the head of screw is then surrounded by rubber) I installed the feet to the screws located on the top-rear edges of the trunk nearest the lid henges and also the screws that retain the passenger backrest to lid. This seems to support any excess pressure from the use of the seat pressing backwards and pressure downwards from loading top rack. Did not require any modifiations to anything else other then;

I installed the 1/4" tubing fixinside theweather seal earlier.

*I checked for leaks with the garden hose directly at the seams and have none.

* lid now requires a little down pressure when closingandlatch trunk.

Lid is now evenly supported and no pressure on the henges or latches when closed

***Bonus, My trunk popper functions again.***

My '05 GL1800 is a CSC trike Convertion, and the lid is equiped with a Kury. rack with risers, and tunk spoiler with brake light. I use the Kury deluxe rack bag, and a Kury. rear windscreen is installed. As you can see from the pics, I am usually loaded for anything.

Total cost for my little fix; $4.00

Those little rubber feet can be found in the hardware department at most ACE, TrueValue, Lowes, and Menards, and some crafts stores. Come in packs of 4 and cost about $1.
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

screws at top left and right of photo (trunk ledge) with rubber feet installed.

* note that I also placed strips of the "loop" side of velcro material to all the contact points inside the top edge of the trunk lid. Help prevent any flexing side-to-side.
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,502 Posts
imported post

Well I am impressed. :cool:. Especially with the velcro use. That stuff has many uses. I also noticed you have the rubber bumpers set in just far enough to allow the existing rubber seal to seal and not allow water to leak into the trunk.

Looks like a very good solution to me. For sure.

Kit
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Velcro was something I did before this. (in transit fix) Goo-gone should get them off.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top