Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Wing that I am attempting to remove the upper tail lights in the trunk. My bike does not match either my manual, on-line videos/images or descriptions. The lights are held in with TWO (2) acorn nuts and a phillips screw (where the 3rd acorn nut is supposed to be.) Additionally in the corners there are 2 additional short phillips screws going into the back of the housing. Luckily all the screws and nuts came loose but the light housings will not push out. They are both caught in the lower corner (the corner facing the front of the bike not the rear). In pictures I have seen what looks like a protrusion at this corner. Is this protrusion pushed into one of the rubber grommets? If this is the case any suggestions for prying it loose without breaking the housing?

I have not had these off since I purchased the machine in 2008. Appreciate any feed back!

·
Administrator
26,149 Posts
There is a 3rd nut. It is in a hole so you can't see the nut.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dave there was not a 3rd nut it was a screw in the recessed hole on both sides. I did find an access panel to those light bulbs. It does not look like it is moveable but a 1/4 turn clockwise (a real hard turn) will break it free and the bulbs can be accessed without removing the light assembly.

What I found will save a lot of people heart ache. You would think this kind of information would be in the service manual but I digress.

Thanks for the response.

·
Premium Member
3,741 Posts
I have a 2008 Wing that I am attempting to remove the upper tail lights in the trunk. My bike does not match either my manual, on-line videos/images or descriptions. The lights are held in with TWO (2) acorn nuts and a phillips screw (where the 3rd acorn nut is supposed to be.) Additionally in the corners there are 2 additional short phillips screws going into the back of the housing. Luckily all the screws and nuts came loose but the light housings will not push out. They are both caught in the lower corner (the corner facing the front of the bike not the rear). In pictures I have seen what looks like a protrusion at this corner. Is this protrusion pushed into one of the rubber grommets? If this is the case any suggestions for prying it loose without breaking the housing?

I have not had these off since I purchased the machine in 2008. Appreciate any feed back!
It is important to read a post carefully........!!

·
Administrator
26,149 Posts
Dave there was not a 3rd nut it was a screw in the recessed hole on both sides. I did find an access panel to those light bulbs. It does not look like it is moveable but a 1/4 turn clockwise (a real hard turn) will break it free and the bulbs can be accessed without removing the light assembly.

What I found will save a lot of people heart ache. You would think this kind of information would be in the service manual but I digress.

Thanks for the response.
When you got that off did you find what was holding the light in?

·
Premium Member
2012 GL1800
492 Posts
There should have been 3 acorn nuts on each light. My 2004 had them and my 2012 has them. All the trunk lights from 2001 to 2017 are interchangeable and have the same number of acorn nuts.
Sounds like someone may have replaced the recessed nut with a screw. A lot of them had nuts that would not come out, and had to be forced.
Did you buy this new?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I forgot to mention that the screw is actually smaller in diameter than the bolt for the acorn nut. So if it was replaced (when built) the original hole would have been filled in and redrilled to a smaller diameter. Also there are 2 other screws in the back that are short and also have the same small diameter. One is in a fairly long extrusion post. I never did get them off as they both seem to still be connected in one corner. I keep thinking there could be one of those plastic extrusions into a rubber grommet at the bottom forward corner? That corner of the light is being held in by something, Prying does not loosen.

I did find that there is a panel at the bottom with what looks like a piece of pipe running down to the bottom of the trunk box. I gave it a hard twist clockwise and it gave me access to the bulbs. Not much room but doable for bulb and socket removal.

I'll attempt to post a picture.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
I cannnot explain why you have a phillips screw in the outboard acorn nut fastener hole. There are only three fasteners that hold the light assembly in place. Perhaps you had the bike in for some maintenance sometime in the last 12 years and and the individual that was working on it removed the assembly and broke off the threaded stud and decided that a phillips screw was the way to fix it. Only you will be able to research this and come to a conclusion since you are the original owner.

Once the three fasteners are removed, the light assembly should come out.

1800 Tail Light.jpg

·
Premium Member
2012 GL1800
492 Posts
I cannnot explain why you have a phillips screw in the outboard acorn nut fastener hole. There are only three fasteners that hold the light assembly in place. Perhaps you had the bike in for some maintenance sometime in the last 12 years and and the individual that was working on it removed the assembly and broke off the threaded stud and decided that a phillips screw was the way to fix it. Only you will be able to research this and come to a conclusion since you are the original owner.

Once the three fasteners are removed, the light assembly should come out.

View attachment 323993
I think you may be right. If they spun the nut on the two outboard studs, they may have put epoxy in the hole and put screws in before it was cured.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"Once the three fasteners are removed, the light assembly should come out."

On both lights the removal of the three fasteners (both sides have the screw in the same place) does not allow the light to be removed. It is securely held in on both sides in the same place by something. The only way I will really know what the issue is would be to pry each out which I know will break them. As I found access to the bulbs I guess I'll be scratching my head for a while.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts