Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey all,

Newbie here. 82 GL1100A with a trunk problem. The trunk has cracked on both rear corners on the trunk. The cracks are getting bigger to the point of looking bad.

Does anyone know where I can get another trunk other than dealer? Or better yet has anyone replaced the factory trunk with something more sturdy?

Thanks for any help or ideas.

Safety 7 blue skies,

DJ

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

diverjeff wrote:
Hey all,

Newbie here. 82 GL1100A with a trunk problem. The trunk has cracked on both rear corners on the trunk. The cracks are getting bigger to the point of looking bad.

Does anyone know where I can get another trunk other than dealer? Or better yet has anyone replaced the factory trunk with something more sturdy?

Thanks for any help or ideas.

Safety 7 blue skies,

DJ
:waving::waving:Welcome to the BEST GOLDWING SITE ON THE NET, diverjeff:waving::waving:

The best bet I think would be to haunt eBay. There are several bike salvage sites on the net that might be worth a search. There are also a couple of plastic repair materials that can be used to glue a fiberglass cloth patch inside the trunk, that worked well on my 1986 SEI that had a damaged trunk. It was patched in the inside and was just about invisible on the outside.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
imported post

If you can get to the crack on the inside you can drill the very end of the crack with say a 1/8" drill or smaller to stop the crack.Then on the inside of the box sand with 80 grit sand paper just to rough it up.. Put masking tape over the hole on the out side and also over all of the crack .Mix up some 5 minute epoxy and put this on the area you roughed up along with a patch of fiberglass cloth and work the resin onto the glass after it is set up lighty sand the area and paint it.All of this can be purchased at Walmart fiberglass will be in the auto section I prefer the glass cloth. The Epoxy will most likey be in hardware 5 minute will work and if you think you need extra time use the 30minute setting instead. Use in a well vented area and use vinyl gloves for skin protection. Cover everthing that you don't want the epoxy on and wear old clothing.If you do this the only blemish will be the crack line and a small drill hole on the outside that you can cover with touch up paint. The cloth patch should extend 1" to 2" on either side of the crack to get the cloth to lay down in a corner or go into or over a compound curve cut the cloth patches so the patch will have the threads running at a 45 degree angle to the curveature of the area where the cloth is to be applyed. Sounds like a lot of work but it's not I built an airplane out of fiberglass cloth and epoxy now that is work. Good Luck

Norman

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

I have 2 old trunk bottoms, and both are cracked in the upper corners, and I haven't messed with them, and they don't seem to be getting worse. I did pick up a NOS trunk bottom for an '81 blue-black color bottom. I'll use that one when it comes time for paint.

How can I prep it or strengthen it in the corners to keep it from cracking in the first place?

Raymond

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

You can reinforce it pretty much like Tricky said sans the stop drilling if it's not already cracked. If you do a search on this subject on the forum there was a couple of references to some plastic repair glue that was good on Honda plastic, that might bond better and epoxy, although I've had good results with epoxy. I like the West System from Gougeon (sp?) Brothers, it's a marine epoxy, it makes very stiff layups. Marine Tex is also a very tenacious epoxy that has very good bonding to different materials. It's a bit like working with wallboard compound except being epoxy it's a bit nasty.

One thing it took me a long time to find out after a lot of aircraft and boat work with the stuff is that epoxy cleans up from your hands and tools very well with vinegar. It's a lot easier on you than acetone and MEK except you might smell like a pickle for awhile.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Raymond, you can also reinforce the trunk corners with ABS plastic either by plastic weldingsome inserts or bonding them in place with ABS cement.

I use 2" ABS pipe, cut into sectionsand heat the section of pipe with a heat gun until it's pliable, then lay it into the corner so that it conforms to the desired shape and let it cool. Trimthe pieceso that it looks nice, clean the inside surface of the trunk with ABS precleaner (sand any paint off first) then apply ABS cement and clamp the support piece into place and let it sit for at least one hour.

If you need invisible repairs you need to plastic weld the cracks. For this I use a very large soldering iron (one inch diameter with slash tip and a smaller tip beside it for fine work.) I clean up the surface completely so that there is only clean ABS base showing and then I flow strips of ABS plastic pipe into the crack and fuse it all together while making sure I keep the plastic temp down as low as possible to prevent making the ABS brittle. Once all the crack is filled and fused together I sand, prime and finish for an invisible repair.

Vic

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
imported post

My trunk has cracks on both corners.The previous owner used some thin pieces of brass and bent them around the outside corners. He then drilled two holes per side and used flat head screws on the inside and cap nuts on the outside. It looks pretty good and it has a custom look. I think the epoxy would look better but it would be more costly to fix it and then match the paint, and if you don't do it right, it will be easy to see. You might wish to do both the epoxy and what I suggested. It would be reinforced plus have a nice look.

The other choice is E bay but most of the ones I looked at are also cracked.

Jerry

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Thanks y'all. My new trunk bottom is just that, new. But that said, I will reinforce the back corners with some ABS plastic and glue. But I'll only reinforce the inside, and no one can tell. Just one of the many projects to do. But the bike still runs great and I can't get to ride it enough with work and all. And I just spent some serious money on a new digital camera and have taken it out on every ride so far.

Is it always the back corners, and not the front?

Raymond

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
imported post

Hi, found this section pertains more to my problem. Recently purchased an 82 Interstate and the trunk's hinges are broken right off of the lid. What's the best way to repair this type of breakage? I am thinking of removing the lower hinge plates and installing oversized hinges with reinforcement.
Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
imported post

If you reinforce on the inside, you will not be able to clear the original rubber seal. that is why they crack in the first place. Not enough clearance at the corners. This weather seal sytem for the 1100 was designed by a drunk. I like the brass corner idea.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
imported post

Further to the trunk woes, what can one do to repair the broken hinges on the trunk lid? The upper portion of the hinges are missing entirely on my 1982 Markland Interstate. The hinges appear to have been attached to the lip (a very small area for sure). Can one get replacement hinges that are longer and conform to the lid contour?
Any other suggestions?

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

I am confused with the Markland Interstate. Is that some sort of replacement trunk for the Goldwing?

Raymond

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
imported post

Markland was a special edition trim package for the 1982. The trunk and side bags are the same, just had extra chrome, lights and floorboards.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

I have a set of saddlebag and trunk lightbar that I cannot identify the manufacturer of. I have seen very few pictures of bikes with the same set. Not that it really matters, I guess.

Raymond

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.