Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I know it is all personal preference, but those of youthat have a trunk rack, do you findit useful -do you ever use it? Or is it more of a show piece of safety chrome?

For those of you who don't have one, do you wish you did?

Ken

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
imported post

I have one on mine and have found it useful on a few occasions. My advise is to plan on reinforcing the underside of the trunk lid and don't put too much weight on it.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
imported post

I've used mine occasionally on trips to hold some lightweight items in a small backpack. I have an elastic cargo net to secure the backpack to the rack. But most of the time it just sits there and looks shiny.:goofygrin:

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

I use mine all the time, keep my CycleSak cover bungeed to it with my rain suit just inside of the CycleSak bag. Keeps my trunk and bags clear for other storage and is not too heavy. Also I use a bag on my tank rack, full of maps and my audio books for long rides. Nice clear window to store my current map section in.

Of course I work off my Wing and with the size of my territory, I ride quite a bit. The storage is critical. I found RubberMaid makes some half file storage boxes that fit perfect into my saddlebags, these hold all my paperwork and brochures etc. Around them are my tools and incidentals. My two passenger armrest puches carry spare fluids. My two fairing pockets carry glasses, handkerchiefs, a ready supply of brochures, teabags and other incidentals.

My travel cup stays in my cup rack, and I keep a thermos in the passenger cup rack. My computer bag loops over the rack and rests in the passenger seat. All this leaves my trunk free for clothing and groceries.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

Honda has a recomended weight limit of 20 pounds for the trunk. If you follow that, it will be easy to reach the limit with just the stuff in the trunk. If you overload the trunk, besides the safety factor, you may cause the plastic trunk to crack. When you go over bumps, the weight in the trunk can really shake around.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Well I must admit that I have one on the way. I'll have to see what it has for mounting hardware. Might have to get some star washers if none come with it.

I must admit that I was looking for a way to attach a flag pole to the bike. This seemed like the most likley way.

Ken

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Star washers outside, fender washers inside with thin rubber washers on top of the fender washers. Prevents cracks and the rubber prevents the hard edges of the washers from stressing the plastic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.