Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I read somewhere if you need to get into your trunk and you don't have the keys on you or you locked them in the trunk, I heard that you can electrically open the trunk by shorting out the unlock actuator at a relay or something like that.

Do any of you know how to do that in case of an emergency or something like that?:shock:

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

If you go to the Reference forum and look at the Trunk Lockout thread you will see the istructions for lockouts on the gl1800 and 1500.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

My friend worked on the GL1500 rear brakes, got into the body work and disconnected the trunk release by accident.

As a result, he had to cut a hole in the trunk in back of the passenger. He used a circular hole cutter so that he could replace it someday. You can't see it with the passenger rest there.

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
imported post

Wing-Rider wrote:
I read somewhere if you need to get into your trunk and you don't have the keys on you or you locked them in the trunk, I heard that you can electrically open the trunk by shorting out the unlock actuator at a relay or something like that. 

Do any of you know how to do that in case of an emergency or something like that?:shock:
You want to confess something?:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Well you did not say which bike and you have two listed in your profile. For the 1800 under the seat is a medium sized gray pin connector, it will be somewhat on the left side and buried under a larger one and you will see a red and yellow wire together. That is the one.

A short jumper wire from the battery to the red wire and it is open.

Kit

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Well, I got it all figured out. Now I need a spare 3" wire, an allen wrench and a phillips screwdriver in a storage compartment that isn't locked and I'll be set.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Actually on this instance it turned out to be the Blue wire. And a different number pin connector. I think maybe it depends on the year, and if it is a American or other model and on some of the options.

I do know I will try it on my 08 and then try to find an 02 or something and see the difference.

In any event a suggestion for everyone , if you do lock your keys into the trunk, and your tool bag is in the trunk or the saddle bag you cannot remove the seat to get to the pin connector in any event. So there you are wondering how you could do such a stupid thing. ;)

For myself I have hidden a key, under some black tape that perfectly matches the bike and could never be spotted by a would be thief. This way one always has a way to continue the day, without possible damage to the bike with wires, coat hangers and or calling a locksmith.

Kit

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
imported post

I think I shorted every coloured wire on my 1100 and the trunk is still locked!! :dude:

I think it is a good idea to keep a key hidden somewhere. Perhaps accessible with the aid of a phillips screwdriver, hint, hint.... I do this on every vehicle I own. I have only had to use it once in 20 years, but that once made it worth while.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

:doh:

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

I do thank you all for your help and insight on this. :D:p:);):cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts