Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Problem and having trouble getting anything to work. I closed the trunk on my 1500 and it will not open. The lock mechanism seems to be working fine. I watched a you tube video of a guy using a screw driver to push on linkage to open. By pushing it mine does nothing. Saw another place to take a coat hanger bend a hook and pull on bar. Well I have tried and can not seem to get hooked around a bar. Help please!!

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
I think there are only 2 (or 3) screws holding the bottom tupperware of the trunk on, , ,maybe undo those screws and you will see the "mechanism" easily.

·
Premium Member
3,401 Posts
Trunk Will Not Open

There is no need to remove the panel under the trunk, you can't see the release rod from there. BTW...there are four (4) screws on that panel.

If you want to send me your email address (by pm), I will send you a detailed message (with a picture of the tool you need to make from a coat hanger) regarding how to open the trunk.

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is no need to remove the panel under the trunk, you can't see the release rod from there. BTW...there are four (4) screws on that panel.

If you want to send me your email address (by pm), I will send you a detailed message (with a picture of the tool you need to make from a coat hanger) regarding how to open the trunk.
I think I sent a pm. My computer is acting up not sure if it went or not. If you don't get it please let me know.

·
Administrator
25,044 Posts

So what would be the problem with posting it on the forum?

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Received it and sent you an email message with an attached document that included a picture.
Got it thanks will be back in garage today trying to get it open. Thanks.

·
Administrator
58,486 Posts
got a funny for you.
the Piaggio scooter that we just got?

well, to open the hatch, you insert key, push down hard, and turn CCW

to open the gas cap cover, insert key, push down hard, turn CW

now hell the heck to you open the friggin seat? I tried and tried the push CW over and over and over......

in the manual, there is one very tiny line in 8 point font that says "Press button on Key FOB"
yup, if the battery is dead or missing, you will not get that seat unlocked.

Found the "how to" on a Piaggio forum, and the thread that came up was:
" hey guys, I took the battery out for the winter, and now I can get the seat unlocked"

well, the battery is underneath the seat.... if you remove the battery, you put something in between the seat and the latch, cause if you don't, you are screwed.

That seat latch is electric, no manual control to it.
to get to the latch from the bottom of the bike is a PITA, and fraught with damage to the latch mechanism.

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just want to public say thank you to DBohrer I got my trunk open. Found that the linkage is broken, but I am inside and can now repair it. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
5,117 Posts
got a funny for you.
the Piaggio scooter that we just got?

well, to open the hatch, you insert key, push down hard, and turn CCW

to open the gas cap cover, insert key, push down hard, turn CW

now hell the heck to you open the friggin seat? I tried and tried the push CW over and over and over......

in the manual, there is one very tiny line in 8 point font that says "Press button on Key FOB"
yup, if the battery is dead or missing, you will not get that seat unlocked.

Found the "how to" on a Piaggio forum, and the thread that came up was:
" hey guys, I took the battery out for the winter, and now I can get the seat unlocked"

well, the battery is underneath the seat.... if you remove the battery, you put something in between the seat and the latch, cause if you don't, you are screwed.

That seat latch is electric, no manual control to it.
to get to the latch from the bottom of the bike is a PITA, and fraught with damage to the latch mechanism.
I recall my friends father having a vespa with the same design flaw. There was a way to open his but i don't know if i remember correctly or not. It seems like he had to back feed power somehow. Maybe through one of the lights? I know he fed wires from an external battery to somewhere on the bike to get the seat up.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
GhostRider, , ,glad to hear you got to the problem. I'm curious though, would taking the screws outta the bottom of the trunk led you to the same area so you could fix the problem?

If not, , ,I'm gonna have to make friends with DBorher to get a peek at his magic docs/pics. I hope the linkage on my 27 yr old ride stays working, , , but chances are slim.

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pulling bottom panel only lets you see top of levers the part you have to get to can't be seen.. DBorher sent me a pic of a tool to make and instructions on how to use it. I have mine straightened out. I fought it for hours and got no results until he told me the right way to open it.

·
Administrator
25,044 Posts
Pulling bottom panel only lets you see top of levers the part you have to get to can't be seen.. DBorher sent me a pic of a tool to make and instructions on how to use it. I have mine straightened out. I fought it for hours and got no results until he told me the right way to open it.

Too bad that info it not available to anyone needing it.

·
Registered
373 Posts
But if you put that out on an open forum it pretty much makes locking your trunk useless now doesn't it? You are telling everyone how to get into it without that latch.

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
After reading this thread yesterday I did a google search and found all the information needed. How to bend the wire (with angle and length included), how to use the wire and most importantly how the latch and lock works. Now, if I just had a 1500 to test it on.>:)

·
Administrator
22,071 Posts
But if you put that out on an open forum it pretty much makes locking your trunk useless now doesn't it? You are telling everyone how to get into it without that latch.
A thief will use a screwdriver or a hammer, whichever is more convenient, to break into a plastic box. They won't take the time to read the instruction, let alone bother using them.

·
Administrator
25,044 Posts
Locks only keep honest people out.

·
Premium Member
3,657 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts