Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

trust older Goldwings?

6K views 51 replies 30 participants last post by  jimwill52 
#1 ·
imported post

I have noticed that a lot of people are fixing up/restoring older Goldwings, which is basically what I am doing. While working on it, I started thinking about what I am going to do with it. I am not taking the engine apart, it has good compression and runs fine, so I'm basically just replacing the belts, changing the plugs, oil and coolant. I am having to make extensive repairs to the fuel injection, but when I'm done, if the bike runs good, it is not likely to fail. I notice a lot of people are not actually rebuilding the engine, even if the bike has been sitting for decades, which makes sense, because the Goldwing engine was not really designed to be rebuilt.

Now, while I will have no problem riding around locally with this bike if it runs good, I was wondering, can it actually be trusted to take trips on? I know a lot of people have gotten over 200,000 miles out of Goldwings, so mine should have over 100,000 miles left in it. Theoretically. But, it is 26 years old. Do many of you with older 'Wings actually go on cross country rides with them, especially those of you who found you bike in rough condition, and put a lot of work into getting it fixed up? Are serious failures common on these older bikes on a long trip?

#2 ·
imported post

you could probably run one forever... and as far as you like...you will probably give up before the engine does...the 1 only problem is the stator witch could give up at any time. but with a poorboy setup that will ensure the above statement....also kinda like the older honda soc 750 eng's that you cant kill....we took one that was sitting in a feild for 30 years....took hours of carb work but it ran and ran good.

#3 ·
imported post

I wouldn't have bothered to "restore" itif I didn't think it was reliable... (it is not a show piece).I'd ride my '83 GL1100(65k) in its present condition(carbs, tires, belts, waterpump, etc.. about 4000 miles ago) anywhere a paved road goes (dirt days are over)... [but I do prefer my GL1500 for comfort reasons on long rides..]

People (including bikers) see my bike and have asked how old the bike is and have the same reaction as your question...

#5 ·
imported post

well lets put it this way ,i ride a 83 interstate , lets say 28 years young. ok , i have brought it back to a ride it any where state of condition . over 91000 on the clock now.had 42 when i found it. as far as i know it has a engine that , except for a head gasket , has never been apart any further.not saying that there has not been any problemes . but they have been addressed and i feel that i know the bike and feel that i can address any on the road problems my self. you might say i know this bike very well and would ride it any where with no hesation. but thats just me. good luck with yours.

#6 ·
imported post

JerryH

This is the way I found mine. They don't get much rougher than that.

Tuesday 8/16, I'm heading for Crater Lake and back up the Oregon coast. 1170 miles. Three days, two nights.

I'm not worried about my bike or my STATOR THAT CAN FAIL AT ANY TIME, because a stator has a MTBF like just about everything else.They'll go @ 50,000 miles. Since I replaced mine 10,000 miles ago, (with quality parts) I figure I'm good for another 4-5 years. I do my own maintenance. I know what my bike has, and what it needs.

Did you hear about the Harley rider that bought a new bike and siezed the engine before he could get home to show the wife?

Reliability has nothing to do with age.

#10 ·
imported post

I replaced the stator on my 80I at 150,000 km. Traded up to my 83A at 200,000 km for reliability. At 87,000 km my Aspy has given me some minor problems, mostly electrical, but I've always gotten home. If you're wanting to keep it OEM a replacement exhaust system can be expensive but there are a number of cheaper alternatives described elsewhere on the forum.

I like the 'old school' look of the older bikes.

Richard

#11 ·
imported post

Just finished a 2800 mile journey-figure 8 tour around lakes Michigan and Superior. Most of the riding was in rain-fog or both. Bike was bullet proof. I would'nt touch the engine if you don't have to. Personally, I wish you had been a little more patient with some of the issues you had rather than tearing some of the stuff off your bike. The cruise for example is not that complicated and well worth having. That's just an opinion and surely you had your reasons just worth mention. It took a few decades for your bike to deteriorate so fixing it won't happen overnight but once you have gone through it, it should last for years. For me, it took over a year of ownership to realize that you don't have to fix everything at once. Make a list of what you want to do and then give priority to the items that need attention first and don't fret about the rest. Personally, I want every original part of my bike to work as well as when bike was new. Obviously, there are issue with getting parts for these bikes and that will always be a concern. One thing I have noticed is the willingness of forum members to help a stranded member. I feel strongly If your bike left you stranded on a long trip in need of parts that several or more members of this forum would help out. I know I would If I could.

#12 ·
imported post

Glhonda, No, I didn't hear about the H-D that siezed before making it home. Silly statement. Maybe that kind of talk is why H-D riders are not eager to wave at Wingers.

If you ride a GL, thats your choice but I wouldn't be disparaging other brands. Honda made the 1800 with suspension members that broke and frames that cracked and also broke and rattly body parts but riders still love them. Back farther than that they made 1200 alternators that gave a lot of trouble.

We all have to accept that a bike is a machine and subject to malfunction. All makes and models.

I ride my '84 1200 anywhere I want to go. It isn't any more likely to break than any other bike. It will probably outlive me.
Just ride the old thing JerryH.
Bobby

#13 ·
imported post

I bought mine 84 Interstate in 09. Since then I have road it on a 5,000 mile trip starting in Florence az over to cal up the coast across oregon over the Lolo down through yellowstone over to Denver via Wyoming down through NM and home. Then last year To Lake fork Texas and Back then last year also to Montana Via Utah and the salmon river and back. No problems on the trips until starting back from the last one when I had some electrical problems sorted those out and am getting ready to head to Montana the first of next month. I replaced the Starter ,battery,Kill switch and did the solenoid deal. Replaced belts and put new progressive 416 1626's on and new E-3's. Really I could have kept riding with the E-2's but man were they shaky. The bike is solid and will do the poor boy deal this winter. I use the Mobil 1 20/50 Motorcycle oil with the Randack spin on adaptor I couldn't ask for a nicer ride. I also added a stock Radio and CB and a superbrace. I will take this bike next year to the east coast. I trust it that much. Once you actually get past the fear of the mechanicals on this bike it's actually pretty easy and the guys here have helped me just reading posts and the answers. :waving:

#14 ·
imported post

BobbydSp wrote:
Glhonda, No, I didn't hear about the H-D that siezed before making it home. Silly statement. Maybe that kind of talk is why H-D riders are not eager to wave at Wingers.

If you ride a GL, thats your choice but I wouldn't be disparaging other brands. Honda made the 1800 with suspension members that broke and frames that cracked and also broke and rattly body parts but riders still love them. Back farther than that they made 1200 alternators that gave a lot of trouble.

We all have to accept that a bike is a machine and subject to malfunction. All makes and models.

I ride my '84 1200 anywhere I want to go. It isn't any more likely to break than any other bike. It will probably outlive me.
Just ride the old thing JerryH.
Bobby
Bobby-I noticed an '03 GL1800 that you say is too heavy for you. I'd be glad to take it off your hands.

:ROFL:

Seriously, one of the guys who first got me into wings had a nice titanium GL1800 just turned around and bought an Electra Glide after years of owning Wings wish I knew before he traded it. Personally I'm hooked on wingsbut have heard of others that go the HD route later in their biking history. I think the point GL was trying to make-as he stated was that new isn't necessarily better or foolproof no matter what it is. As for Harley bashing, I have good friends that ride Harleys and we give each other sh*t on a regular basis. It's just in fun no real harm done. After all neither Honda nor Harley need anyone to fight there battles for 'em. Not waving at another brand is just as offensive or ridiculous as typing a brand specific joke. Don't take it so seriously-or personal. Likely you didn't design orbuild the machine you ride.

I recently was buying electrical supplies when 3 friends drove up on bikes 2 Harleys and one GL1500. They were bashing each other back an forth and it was hysterical. I chimed in with an anti Harley Joke to their suprise and was met with an anti-wing one in return. No punches were thrown and the guys running the supply house were in tears laughing at the whole deal. There will always be that rivalry between bike makes but at the end of the day everyone knows you meet the nicest people on a motorcycle not just on a Honda...

#15 ·
imported post

BobbydSp wrote:

I looked it up. You're right. It wasn't a Harley. It was a Kawasaki! Does that mean that the Kawasaki riders are going to stop waving at me too? :?

They don't wave because their feelings are hurt? Talk about a silly statement.

My borther-in-law owns and rides a Harley, and we still let him come to the family picnics. Someone's skin is a little thin.

ANYONE that doesn't wave is a jerk, regardless of the bike they ride.

#16 ·
imported post

glhonda wrote:
BobbydSp wrote:

I looked it up. You're right. It wasn't a Harley. It was a Kawasaki! Does that mean that the Kawasaki riders are going to stop waving at me too? :?

They don't wave because their feelings are hurt? Talk about a silly statement.

My borther-in-law owns and rides a Harley, and we still let him come to the family picnics. Someone's skin is a little thin.

ANYONE that doesn't wave is a jerk, regardless of the bike they ride.
I actually get a little tired of the waving thing. It's fine when you are on an uncongested road but some roadsseem like a continuousparade of motorcycles going by and waving gets a bit tiresome. Just my 2 cents anyway. Also does that mean I have to wave at people wearing flip flops and shortson scooters ?

#17 ·
imported post

Can't disagree with that. I wave at all 2 wheel riders, including scooters.
Bobby.

#18 ·
imported post

Wingsam, The '03 was a bit too heavy for my old frame. I did love that engine though. Man, what power and turbine like acceleration. Getting old does some things to all of us. Goldie is about all I can handle now. I don't like to think of triking. I may have to do it eventually.
Bobby

#19 ·
imported post

Gl Honda. The transformation in the two pics you posted are remarkable. Very good job restoring an old bike.
Bobby

#20 ·
imported post

+1 on that.

Mind you, a steady stream of motorcycles out here might be up to 5 or6 bikes :) We rode 359km this afternoon and the bike count for the day is12 - total of 12, not in one group - largest group was 3 :)

BobbydSp wrote:
Bobby.

#21 ·
imported post

I am surprised that any of you ride, as cold as it is in Canada. I use heated gear down here in Virginia.
Bobby

#22 ·
imported post

I actually get a little tired of the waving thing. It's fine when you are on an uncongested road but some roadsseem like a continuousparade of motorcycles going by and waving gets a bit tiresome. Just my 2 cents anyway. Also does that mean I have to wave at people wearing flip flops and shortson scooters ?
Flip flops and shorts? My favorites. But as long as they're wearinga helmet........

Waving does get tiresome, but that's my co-pilots responsibility....when she's awake.

So I guess sometimes she's the jerk.:action:

Bobby....I still had to buy nearly a thousand dollars worth of tupperware and chrome off ebay to finish the '86. I bought two hulks......should have bought three.

#23 ·
imported post

Beautiful end result, though. Not cheap either as I have done the same thing with Goldie. I hav spent around $5000 on this old relic. I love her though. Not sure y wife knows how much.
Bobby.

#24 ·
imported post

The electrics are the biggest worry but the older bikes are simpler and if the stator stays good the only other big issue would be some ignition bits. A few spares, tools and a bit of knowledge and you should be OK.

There are numerous get-you-home tricks one can use if a stator fails.

One problem is that some shops won't work on older bikes so if you break down away from home you should know the basics to DIY.

#25 ·
imported post

It's the nod of the head over here most of the time.

Until yesterday when I had a whole bunch of kids on a trip shouting give us a wave when I was stuck at lights lol

Forgot to mention, have a slight HG leak but still happy to take it out on a long trip. I know the engine is bullet proof

#26 ·
imported post

BobbydSp wrote:
Bobby.
I wave at all scooters....... Gives them hope....

Jerry:

I can only speak from the few weeks of ownership with my 1200 LTD. Yes, they seem very complicated, but when you look at each piece, it's actually very easy. I know you don't like the Fuel injection, but if your worked properly, you would like it. There are from time to time, FI bodies on ebay, just seen one the other day, it came with the reed box your having issues with, injector body and injectors for $175.

As far as would I trust the bike for long rides? Once I get to know this bike, Why not? It's just a mechanical device like my car, if It breaks down, I'll get it fixed on the road like other do, be it on a motor cycle or car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.