Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,671 Posts
Well, on the surface of the idea. A bead is a bead is a bead, and IF they are all of the same composition, each should do as well as the other.

Dyna Beads are a very good product, have some on my desk still evading my hands and paint brush :badgrin:

What I'm saying is that IF the other product happens to be a bit too sticky (causing clumping) they won't perform as well.

Reading down on the eBay page referenced it would seem that a buyer or too was a bit disgruntled. Why? they don't say.

But, at the price point offered? I would go for it and give it a college try. That is not much coin to put up for what could be a nice "return" on investment.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Go to walmart and buy a cont.ainer of AIRSOFT pellets. About $8 for a bunch of ounces. only downside is that they won't fit through the valve stem, have to break a bead or add them as the tire is mounted.
You can hear them when you roll the bike across the garage (motor off)

They work great! someone above said a bead is a bead is a bead

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Don't like 'em. I've had two people who've requested they be removed (after they've been installed elsewhere). They make a horrible mess when it's time to change tires. Traditional balancing works just fine.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Not tried them yet, but I like the idea of the Counteract beads which hold in place with static. I used Dyna Beads but each time I stop they fall to bottom as most beads will so the tire is out of ballance at low speeds till the beads spread again.

Those other static cling beads holding in place when I stop should keep the tires balanced all the time once spread out at higher speeds where they need to be.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CounterAct-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item337c6aed13&vxp=mtr

$15.75 for 12oz free shipping, I can weigh them myself and do 2 bikes for that price and still have a few extra.

Only reason I not tried them yet is I have to pull my wheels and break down the tires to get the Dyna Beads out.

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
Don't like 'em. I've had two people who've requested they be removed (after they've been installed elsewhere). They make a horrible mess when it's time to change tires. Traditional balancing works just fine.
========================================================

I have never had a problem changing tires when using balancing beads... I simply use a hole saw and drill a 1 inch hole in the center of the tread of the tire. Put a bucket on the floor and dump the beads out. They can be re-used if in good condition.
A local bike shop, service department flipped out seeing the 1" hole in the tire. I just told them to NEVER park where there are Gophers!

Corventure Dave

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
I use the Counteract Beads in all my bikes and in my truck without any problems at all, I change all my own tires and love them I also reuse them 2 or 3 times. I would think that all the beads would work well cant be that much difference between them.:july4thflag:

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Beads don't make a mess, people make a mess LOL

I removed and installed my tire with beads in it from one bike wheel to another, no problem with beads or the changing of the tire. The beads made no mess at all and were in there about 10K miles.

Now when I dropped the tire and it bounced hard, then I made a mess! LOL
My fault not the beads fault, I forgot about the beads and flopped the tire off to the side spilling out about half my beads to the shop floor.
I had pulled off that tire fine and not spilled any at all, then I was going to mount a used tire I had on hand as a spare to that wheel.
I also did not spill any when mounting the tire on the new second wheel.

I keep reading people talking about cutting tires off wheels, or now cutting a big hole in them.
Personally I like to keep the old tire around for a spare just in case I need it someday. 2X now I have needed an old tire I had taken off, so doing it right and still having the old spare has worked well for me.
But then I change my own tires and don't take anything to shop.

Would have been a 3rd time an old spare would have been good to have had also, but it was bald when I bought 1100 so was not usable.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
Have a trike. Bought the Counteract beads for front tire. Worked ok. Bought additional kit for rear trike tires.(3 oz. each side) installed them. Bought new rear tires, went to tire place, guy broke the bead of the tire, let me remove my old beads,(and they just lay there.) No mess at all, used a paper cup to scoop out the beads, threw em in the new rear tires, and rode off into the sunset. No mess, but I will warn you, DO NOT try to take a little air out of your tires on the road! The dust from the beads will clog even the "special" schrader valves, and you'll lose ALL your air! I guess if you were to make sure the valve is on top, and tap the tire, the dust would stay at the bottom. Ask me how I know this one!!!:waving: jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
12 Bucks for a 5 OZ bag?

Man that is hiway robbery I put Dyna beads in mine for around 8 bucks and that was front and rear. Did my 265/75r/16 all 4 of them for around 20 bucks.. Man 12 bucks for 5 oz wow.:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.