Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 GL1100
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Entering the final tuning stages on my 83 interstate. I’ve checked for manifold leaks there are none. I’ve done a little bit of work on idle drop procedure for the pilots but have not completely finished it. I have a smooth idle smooth acceleration and no dead spots but my gas mileage is horrible! My last tank was 31 mile per gallon and my plugs look lean but I am not running hot. I have gauges I can sync the carbs but before I start messing with that I’d like to get my plug burn to look a little bit better attached is a picture of my plugs after the last tank of gas went through which was 50% interstate at 75MPH and 50% two lane roads doing 55MPH. I think I’m going to order a new air filter for this the air filter looks fine but it’s the original one that was in the bike when I bought it so it’s probably 20 years old. I’ve done a search on this form for pilot screw threads and got a ton of them also did some YouTube videos I believe the Goldwing has an air pilot and not a fuel pilot but I have still not found anywhere that says which direction to turn the air pilot to make it richer.
Hand tool Household hardware Bicycle part Metalworking hand tool Office supplies

·
Registered
83 GL1100
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I took advantage of the warm day turned all the pilots out about a half a turn the idle speed increased a little, then I put 100 miles on the bike and pulled the plugs again. the bottom two plugs are in the left side of the engine the top two from the right side. It doesn’t seem like the right side changed any but the left side is pretty close to where I want it to be. My mileage did go up to 34 mile per gallon for this hundred miles, I turned right side out another half turn I didn’t touch the left this time. hopefully I can get out tomorrow and do it again
Suspension Auto part Engineering Audio equipment Machine

·
Registered
83 GL1100
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hitechlodite what size tires/wheels? What rpm at say 60? I had an 82 that I destroyed the trans on (Heel toe shifter. Bad very bad), took it to a local shop for repair. He had a GL1100 trans on the floor he put in instead. I was taching 500+ rpm higher than before and mileage dropped from 40+ to 35. Turned out the trans he put in was from a 1980 GL1100.
Yeah I think they changed the gearing every year of the 1100's Either by Trans or rear tire size. 83 had the tallest gear and mine matches what it should be 72MPH at 4000RPM

1 - 5 of 5 Posts