Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Entering the final tuning stages on my 83 interstate. I’ve checked for manifold leaks there are none. I’ve done a little bit of work on idle drop procedure for the pilots but have not completely finished it. I have a smooth idle smooth acceleration and no dead spots but my gas mileage is horrible! My last tank was 31 mile per gallon and my plugs look lean but I am not running hot. I have gauges I can sync the carbs but before I start messing with that I’d like to get my plug burn to look a little bit better attached is a picture of my plugs after the last tank of gas went through which was 50% interstate at 75MPH and 50% two lane roads doing 55MPH. I think I’m going to order a new air filter for this the air filter looks fine but it’s the original one that was in the bike when I bought it so it’s probably 20 years old. I’ve done a search on this form for pilot screw threads and got a ton of them also did some YouTube videos I believe the Goldwing has an air pilot and not a fuel pilot but I have still not found anywhere that says which direction to turn the air pilot to make it richer.
View attachment 327507
Hitechlodite what size tires/wheels? What rpm at say 60? I had an 82 that I destroyed the trans on (Heel toe shifter. Bad very bad), took it to a local shop for repair. He had a GL1100 trans on the floor he put in instead. I was taching 500+ rpm higher than before and mileage dropped from 40+ to 35. Turned out the trans he put in was from a 1980 GL1100.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts