Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:clapper:Well I finally got my '78 running. Carb job went easy, and we got her running again after 8 years. Now I'm taking taking on safety issues. I dismounted the rear tire and found it was a tubeless type tire with a tube in it. My manual says to use tube type tires so I searched the forum (great resource here) and I find a lot of guys running ComStars with tubeless tires. Do you drill out the hole in the rim to mount a tubeless stem? What size?

Gary

'78 GL1000, '02 1150RT, '04 WeeStrom

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

Hi Gary and welcome to the forum, RedWing will be along later with the official welcome mat. On the ComStars, the Honda manual specifies tubless tires for my '82 with ComStars, chech your manual and see what is recommended. I thought one of the reasons for the ComStar to begin with was to allow the use of tubeless tires. As far a drilling out the hole, do not do this under any circumstances the tubeless stem is pulled through the hole for an airtight fit.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks for the info. Apparently the early ComStars were set up for tubes. The have a small hole for an 8 mm (.3 in) valve stem. They look like they would be OKby looking at the inside but the hole would have to be drilled out. I'm getting so anxious to get it out of the garage I'll probably go down and buythe tubes and get rolling.

:)Gary

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

Gary, When I bought my '78 GL1000 in '81, it had tubes in the tires. At that time I checked on tubless tires and what I found was there wern't any tubless motorcycle tires on the market when the ComStars came out. Thats why the isn't any mention in the owner's manual. Keep in mind this is faiding 20+ year old memorys.

Most tubes are extra thick around the valve stem area. My guess is if you drill out the stem hole and end up needing to go back to tubes, you probably won't have a problem with the hole.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

You will have to measure the hole off a gl1100 wheel so that you don't drill out too big. That could result in a disaster.

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

I have seen a crumpled Valkerie  wreck... caused by a front tire stem  , apparently , popping out of the stem hole... and then .. instant flat tire...   I would want to get a really, really good  tire expert to measure and drill out that hole, if I were you...two concerns come to mind... if you drill out.. you no longer have the nice smooth rolled edge of the hole... and  you might be cutting back into thinner wall metal...  Front flats are no joke !!! SilverDave/forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

the rear on my bike is tubeless.... I was able to find a stem that was the tube sized stem and had an O-ring at the base. I flattened the inside and did not have to drill out the hole. I have never been able to find a stem like that since (was in 1979). Any stem system or tube for that matter can fail... but If I were to have the hole drilled I would be very careful about the size.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

Hi Gary, if you want to go to tubeless tires then find a set of the Lester cast wheels for that model. Don't make a change that you won't have time to regret if it fails.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

jackjohn wrote:
Hi Gary, if you want to go to tubeless tires then find a set of the Lester cast wheels for that model. Don't make a change that you won't have time to regret if it fails.
Lester rears (16") are generally findable on ebay (even new ones)... but the fronts are not very common and sell high. Also, the fronts usually fit the 75-77 1000's... the front rotors and brakes are different... you might even have to change the forks

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

I found a front Lester wheel on a '78 here locally for extremely cheap. What other models will this fit? I will get the rim size after I go pick it up. Turns out to be a 19" as expected.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

I think (although Lester made wheels for other bikes as well) that their wheels will fit any 1000 (do not know about 1100's) but usually they have six bolt holes for the 75-77 rotors, which are different than the 78-79 rotors. I have been trying to find out if you can uses them w/o changing out the forks, but have not found an answer, short of trying it myself.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.