Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tulsa windshield pro or con???

4K views 40 replies 24 participants last post by  roadster15 
#1 ·
imported post

I just purchased a 1500 with a Tulsa extra tall windshield. Not sure I like it. Feels like my head will bump it at any time but don't have any miles on it yet. Any opinions pro or con? Thanks!

#2 ·
imported post

Well, this is an untutored opinion, mind.........!

My late 1500 came with two windshields, that OEM standard, and the great big hulking Tulsa...... I didn't like the Tulsa because I couldn't see over the top of it.....and I like to see over the top because if your windscreen gets spattered with rain, dirt, snow, witch's spit.... whatever.....you can't see through it! I found I could take a soft glove and wipe the rain off my helmet visor a lot easier than I could wipe it off that big ol' Tulsa. I put the OEM back on and sold the Tulsa..... but maybe I just didn't know something about the Tulsa that I should've........

#4 ·
imported post

I've never had a Tulsa, but I would not have a windshield I couldn't see over. I've had too many times in fog, high humidity or light rain that the windshield gets covered and has no visibility.

John

#5 ·
imported post

Rudy wrote:
I like mine but I can see over it when I need to.
As I said this is an "extra tall". It is so tall I would have to stand up to see over it.

#6 ·
imported post

I've never ridden a Wing with a short shield but I did ride my 06 (note the tall Tulsa) back from Florida in October and put on a few more miles on her before the snow flew:action:. Biggest complaint was riding in rain - one full 12 hour day. I didn't mind the rain on the shield because it shed the water very well. What I didn't like at all is that it shed the majority of it up and over the top directly on my glasses and visor. The edge of the shield rides about 6 inches in front of the helmet and about level with the top of the helmet. What didn't end up on the visor ended up running down the inside of the shield where it couldn't be blown off by the headwind greatly reducing visibility.

My pillion loves it from a passengers place as it throws the wind over her head and greatly reduces the buffeting.

I also had a very interesting ride on my 99 (also with a tall shield but not Tulsa) coming back from Calgary across the vast expanse of prairie this fall. Harvest time and the grain trucks were coming off the fields onto the highway - loaded with dirt and it was raining. I rode about 150 miles mostly standing on the pegs so I could see over the shield.

This was the first time in three seasons that I ran into that kind of situation but I now think it is pretty important to size the height of any shield so you can just see over it when necessary without staining or standing.

The other thing about the Tulsa is that when you are riding the pegs the shield is actually touching the middle of my chest - not a good feeling.

Ride the Tulsa for a while and make up your own mind - some love it - some hate it - some (me included) are neutral. I'll keep mine for a longer evaluation as I try to avoid riding rain when possible -but sometimes there is no choice :waving:.

Maybe English Bob will help me pare the Tulsa down when the time comes - he's done the job on his stock shield and loves the results :grinner:

#7 ·
imported post

miles.from.nowhere wrote:
I've never ridden a Wing with a short shield but I did ride my 06 (note the tall Tulsa) back from Florida in October and put on a few more miles on her before the snow flew:action:. Biggest complaint was riding in rain - one full 12 hour day. I didn't mind the rain on the shield because it shed the water very well. What I didn't like at all is that it shed the majority of it up and over the top directly on my glasses and visor.
Yes it does do that but you can add an edging that eliminates almost all of that.

#8 ·
imported post

My 1500 had an XL tall windscreen, but it was forward enough that I did not have any of the problems mentioned here.

Granted, in Arizona, it don't get wet and muddy like way up north. but for me, here where I ride. Love the tall ones.

#9 ·
imported post

I have the tall Tulsa and it took some time to get used to it.. I've never had the fog up windshield problem so looking through it doesn't bother me.. You'll bang your helmet on it for a while and I still do once in a While.. Love the great wind protection for me and the wife.. The vent is great in the summer.. About the only draw back I have is the reflection I get off the dash.. I had to make a cover for the Eagle about the radio because the darn reflection was in my view plain.. It's a keeper for me........

#10 ·
imported post

I have a tall Tulsa that was on my GL1100... I hated it.... it sweeps back too far and I banged my head all the time getting on and off. I took it off and put the stock type back on....

#11 ·
imported post

I would not want one that leaned way back.

Mine only leaned about maybe 15 degrees, if that. Lots of room between me and the helmet. I never had it fog up completely, even when riding in rain up in the Showlow, AZ and Flagstaff areas.

When riding in rain, and a car's headlights close behind you, I could see rain drops "floating up the back side and over my head".

I think it was that reverse flow of air behind the windscreen that kept it from fogging.

Never thought of it until now, maybe it was because I never installed one of those foam pieces between the forks and the gas tank?? Air comes up from there...

#12 ·
imported post

I have had not a tulsa but a slipstreamer, virtually the same for over 12 years. Got it from chromeworld. anyhow have ridden in the rain with the OEM had to rely on a big truck in front of me to tell me what was comming as I could not see anything and had no where to pull off. last time I took a trip with it. Put the slipstreamer on and have ridden to canada and back 3 days in rain really other then the PIA drips onto the crothch area no real complaints about the lean back windshild. Face got wet with the OEM and the aftermarket. I think it improves the look of the bike (94 SE) and since it never rains in AZ its not an issue. You can try the door moulding stuff over the edges, I didnt find that much difference when I tried and ended up in rain so took it off.

I have also added the little winglets under the mirrors and the air wings to keep wind off the wife because she complained about too much wind with both. thus the little add ons.

as far as looking thru vs over its not much difference anymore. the quality of the plastic is such its like being in a car. Just have to clean very carefully with a good cleaner, never try when its dry as it will scratch. As I said I have had mine for 12 years or so and its still clear enough to see thru and not scratched enough for the sun to bother, and the sun out here at susnset can be a killer. Give it some time before you try to change. you may come to realize you like it.

#13 ·
imported post

Great info guys. Thanks! I will keep it for now and see how I like it.

#15 ·
imported post

I sat on a bike that had one of those Tulsa shields on it, I suppose if I had one I would have to hook up an oxygen tank and pipe in some air, and take sea sickness medicine for claustaraprobiia or what ever that stuff is. :D Kit

#16 ·
imported post

Geezerglider wrote:
Is there any treatment such as Rain X that can be used on plastic windshields?
For a short time Rain X had a product for that, it evidently did not work well or had some problems as it has not been in the stores for a couple years now. Best is just plain old lemon pledge.

Kit

#18 ·
imported post

I never had a tall windshield,but I did stay at a holiday inn express once..:D..

#19 ·
imported post

dingdong wrote:
I just purchased a 1500 with a Tulsa extra tall windshield. Not sure I like it. Feels like my head will bump it at any time but don't have any miles on it yet. Any opinions pro or con? Thanks!
I agree, I had one on the 1500 I used to have. I would bump my head everytime I would try to move the bike around the garage. It was also worse about rain coming over the shield and into my lap than the stock shield. Also it was thicker and you could not adjust the height. The only plus to it was I could see thru it when riding into the sun. I doubt I would buy another one.

#21 ·
imported post

use plexis or the honda spray polish and keep the shield waxed clean. Wash 1st to get clean and then apply the plexis or honda polish and buff to high sheen. I also use the detail polish that I find on sale at checkers and autozone in the spray bottle. Once you clean the windshield and apply the polish its easy. Just spray on let sit then wipe off and buff make sure any bugs have softened etc. use verticle strokes on the shield not circular or cross keeps streaks and minimizes scratches that may occur due to dirt/grit on the rag. I use a old soft bath towel on mine, but any soft clean cloth will work.

Never use paper or the shop towels that have nylon reinforcement in them. The blue roll shop towels should be ok. Rainex is not supposed to be used on plastic that has a protective cover, it will craze and turn brown on ya.

#22 ·
imported post

Yep looks like the short windshield has it, but regardless I have the XL. I like it and I'm sticking with it. It protects me and the wife. I just have never had the problems that I read here. I ride to Big Bear during October and other times a lot and never had the problems. But I would not change my shield for anyother size.

#24 ·
imported post

:DLooks like all those 1500 guys like to look through the windshield. Sounds like about right, they are used to peering ahead at the tail lights of a vanishing 1800. :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::p:p;):action: Kit

#25 ·
imported post

Actually I would not mind the short one either. The tall windshield just came on the bike so it still on it and its no bother. For me there is absolutely no difference looking over a windshield or through one. Most likely would not spend the money for a tall one, nor am I going to spend money for a short one. Basically I am indifferent. The foot boards were an abomination for me and are history.

#26 ·
imported post

redeyes88 wrote:
I never had a tall windshield,but I did stay at a holiday inn express once..:D..
Just never seems to fail. :p:p:p:p:p:dude:

Took her for a ride yesterday and the only problem I found that I didn't like is the flexing in the wind and when hitting a rough section of road. Not very stable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.