Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My bike was running a little rough from idle to about 3k rpm's so I tried to reset the points gap and static timing to the f1 and f2 mark's but now I get no fire at the plugs ?? I dont quite understand what I have done wrong.... A long distance friend of mine said it sounds like I set it 180' out of phase?? :?:? Anyway the points are set @.14 and cyl 1&2 points open @ F1..... cyl 3&4 open @ F2 I am sure the points are getting fire....... I'm not sure about which lobe to use, so Itried both... according to the manual.................:(

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Have you read the tech tips at Randakks regarding setting up of points and timing??

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

To set the points you use the lobe with the small dot on it for both sets of points. Set the points when the cam is at the highest point on the cam verses the points. Don't set it to match the dot. This is just there to make sure you use the same lobe for both sets off points. When setting the points set them at the widest recommended gap ( they will close up as they wear & lube (lightly ) the felt rubbing block)

Once you have the gap set then you move onto the timing. If you haven't made up a bulb with a pig tail, do so it will allow you to do the static timing if you don't have timing light, and viewing window for flywheel plug.

The light bulb method is a little harder & less accurate than a timing light but will get you very close. Also make sure you have the kill switch on when doing ponts & timing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.