Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

This may have already been addressed (a dozen or more times), but here goes:

I have read with interest the hoops and harnesses people jump through to connect some of the modern electronics to older wings. Today I stopped by the Verizon store and looked at one of the new "shock proof and weather proof" smart phones. I got to wondering, wouldn't this one $149 box do it all AND be compatible with itself?

In other words, according to the salesman, I can be listening to a book and when a call comes in it automatically pauses so I can take the call; or it pauses so I hear directions from the GPS unit. It probably would also connect to the sound system through one of those tape deck interfaces. This looks pretty cheap compared to some of the other options I've seen discussed.

:?Why wouldn't this work?

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

What model of smartphones are we talking about. Curious minds need to know.:badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
imported post

Yes and no or maybe. I have a smart phone but found the GPS too hard to read while riding. I don't have any music on it because I use my Ipod which uses the cassette deck and a fake tape to connect to the system. Also, if the phone call does come in, it would be hard to answer and talk to the person since only the headphone jack is hooked up through your intercom system. No mic for the telephone except on the phone itself. Lots of noise.

The work-around is to have a seperate headphone/mic plugged into the telephone and listen to the GPS seperatly. Now you have two cords going to your head. Works but not the best.

Also, I have an old Magellan 760 and it works ok, but after 70 miles, the hard drive freezes up and I have to reset it or give up on it. I'm going to look for a new gps soon, since I get lost going to the bathroom. No sense of direction. :?

The one other thing I saw, but know nothing about, is an adapter for bluetooth that goes into the main intercom system. Look for it on E-bay or J&M. You will need a bluetooth helmet, but with that you could purchase a bluetooth GPS, which can hold music and you can answer the phone. But do you really want to answer the phone while your riding?:( Might as well take the cage.

Jerry

·
Pwhoever
3,161 Posts
imported post

I currently am using my Droid X mounted on the bike to handle MP3's, navigation and phone calls. I can use either the dash speakers or the helmet headset. The navigation rivals my Garmin IMHO and is pretty easy to see. The interface that it uses actually makes it hard to tell that it isn't the Garmin. I do not use the VZ navigator but rather the Droid navigation program. The biggest issue is the touch screen. You either have to use bare fingers or special gloves that have conductive thread sewn into the tips. And it's not waterproof.

Quite a bit of info in THIS THREAD.

I just took a look at the Verizon site and I am assuming you are talking about the Casio Commando? It looks very interesting and I like the weatherproof part because the Droid X isn't. The screen is a little smaller than the Droid but still looks like it's a decent size...

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Yes, it was a Cassio Commando. I've never used a smart phone, so the details of making it function are still foreign to me. Wouldn't Blue Tooth work the same with a smart phone as with any other? In other words you would have to push a button to connect a call, but not manipulate the screen.

I have used the VZ navigator on my phone and except for burning through a battery really fast, it seems to be a pretty good system. Having directions come through the headset should be better than trying to read a map while riding.

It sounds like finding the right Blue Tooth headset system might be the key to success. It still looks to me like we might be getting closer to a pretty simple solution to "having our cake and eating it too"...:cheesygrin:

The help and expertise present on this site continue to amaze me, you guys are great!!:bow::bow:

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,683 Posts
imported post

I have a Samsung S Fascinate smart phone. The navigation is better than my Garmin because it is Google which is updated more frequently.

BUT!!! The instant you loose cell site connectivity, all of that GPS stuff STOPS! The maps are NOT stored in the phone as they are in a GPS.

The GPS audio goes through the phone's speaker, not through my Bluetooth headset.

Smart phones are getting better and better, but there are wrinkles yet in them being a "one box does it all".

If you use all of the possible features at once, you better tie it into the bike's power source. The internal battery depletes at a downhill rate when all of the internal receiver devices are turned on.

Also, the screens are not daylight proof yet. Still need a good sunshade. Not unlike my Garmin GPS units.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

I use the ALK Copilot app on my Droid for GPS as I'm often in area where there is only 1X service or no service. Copilot loads it's maps on your phone so keep in mind you will have to have room for that. The maps aren't real big but some smart phones are limited on their storage space.

·
Forum Toolmaster
459 Posts
imported post

awingandaprayer wrote:
This may have already been addressed (a dozen or more times), but here goes:

I have read with interest the hoops and harnesses people jump through to connect some of the modern electronics to older wings. Today I stopped by the Verizon store and looked at one of the new "shock proof and weather proof" smart phones. I got to wondering, wouldn't this one $149 box do it all AND be compatible with itself?

In other words, according to the salesman, I can be listening to a book and when a call comes in it automatically pauses so I can take the call; or it pauses so I hear directions from the GPS unit. It probably would also connect to the sound system through one of those tape deck interfaces. This looks pretty cheap compared to some of the other options I've seen discussed.

:?Why wouldn't this work?

I use the Iphone 4 for the Phone, MP3, and sometimes the Nav. I also have the Garmin Nuvi 1490T. I have it all integrated into the SCALA RIDER!!. I have the Garmin Blue tooth capable and the Iphone as well. While on the phone and the Nuvi is telling me information it comes through the Scala rider. It interrupts the phone momentarily and then continues with the phone conversation. Just the same as when the wife and I are 2 up and we use the Scala rider to communicate when a phone call comes in it interrupts the music and then comes back when we are finished.. All of this is done wireless!!!!. Best system that I have found to date!!!. Plus the neat thing about the Scala Rider is if your traveling with another couple and they both have the same set up you can communicate with them up to 1/2 mile!!!. Just my 2 cents!!!!:cheesygrin::cheesygrin:

Allan

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
imported post

When I ride I don't care about the phone. If it's important, they'll call back. Or I'll call them when I stop to stretch my legs. Too many idiots on the road playing with their phones instead of paying attention to driving already. I ain't gonna be another one of them that can't function unless I'm attached to my phone 24/7.

Put down the phone, follow the road, enjoy the scenery. Kick back and relax. ;)

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

You are right about the phone. What I would like most is the MP3 and GPS in one convenient box.

Although it would be nice to be able to take some calls when they come in. There are so many options now for and with the smart phones, it seems like we may be getting close to having all our "wants" in one unit without all the "some assembly required" engineering many guys are smart enough to figure out.:baffled:

Thanks for the input, it is appreciated!

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

Just be aware there are drawbacks to all of the solutions. For the Bluetooth headset option, you are either looking at cutting out the Wing's system completely, which means no CB, or buying the very expensive J&M setup. I don't think anyone else yet has a working Bluetooth headset that integrates with the Wing's system, but I may have missed it.

Also, with the Bluetooth, you are limited in the amount of time per day that you can use it by the batteries, which varies from around 5 hours to up to 9 or 10 I believe, and if you're camping that can be an issue for charging them if you don't have an always on DC jack on the bike.

The system I'm using is not cheap either, but it gave me everything I wanted which included not having to charge Bluetooth headsets every day, which many BTW are also not waterproof. I'm using the J&M CFRG integration terminal which includes a wired in cell phone connection and wired GPS connection. I added the CFRG Bluetooth module too so I could use my phone on Bluetooth. The CFRG integration terminal is plug and play with the bikes intercom system. I'm using a Garmin Streetpilot2720that I bought used on ebay, but any GPS that has a headphone jack will work, but if you ride in the rain, you will want it to be waterproof or get a waterproof cover for it. RAM makes some nice one's for not a lot of money. My music source is an older 5G 30gig iPod. It's input has been through a cassette adapter but I recently bought a wired in FM modulator. I personally like having all of the components separate, that way if my phone dies I don't also lose my GPS and music source, etc.

The drawbacks to my system are 1, J&M is discontinuing the universal model which is what is needed for the 1500, 1200 or 1100, so they are getting very hard to find. The #2drawback is the Bluetooth module is not waterproof, so you will want to stash it or turn it upside down in the rain, of make a cover for it. It's got a push button for answering, disconnecting calls, and activating the voice menus. It also has a rocker switch for volume up - volume down.
J&M is still continuing with the CFRG integration terminal for the 1800 I believe.

Kennedy has systems that will do most of this, but unless I've missed it, they don't have a Bluetooth module. They have an adapter that will plug into the headset jack on a Bluetooth system, so you will either need a Bluetooth enabled GPS, some other component that has Bluetooth,or a stand-a-lone Bluetooth module from some other source. If you decide to go with Kennedy for your setup, I suggest you call them. Their matrix is a bit confusing. I also recommend your write down everything you want it to do, and list each item, and then repeat it when they give you a quote to make sure what they have quoted matches what you need. They are nice people, do great work from what I've been told by many, but I personally asked for a configuration to do what my J&M does and got a very large quote, much higher than the J&M setup, then someone else on the forum called for the same setup and got a different quote, then after talking with me called back and got another different quote. Could have been a fluke but worth noting.

Probably the least expensive way to do this is with a Bluetooth enabled GPS, if you can find an less expensive model that fits your needs and is either waterproof or covered with a case like the RAM cases, and has a headphone and mic jack. Then all you need is an audio source jack such as a cassette adaptor or FM modulator, AND a Mic splitter like this one from Edsets.

John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.