·
Registered
97 Posts

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Waze uses DATA, and I can't put up with that.
my DATA plan is only 2gB/month and Waze can go thru that much in just one trip.

Made that mistake once when I first used it.
CoPilot USA is an extremely good app, you download the entire USA in one fell swoop to the SDcard and it never looks at your Data Plan again.

I just posted this up as a FYI for folks who don't want that feature to be implemented. As I explained, on my phone, AutoUpdate is turned OFF so it won't effect me.

I rarely use the Google Map feature, every vehicle we have has a dedicated Garmin GPS, and that includes my bike which has a 7 inch screen so I can read it easily.... old eyes don't focus up close anymore, unless I am wearing prescription glasses.... which I usually don't when riding the bike.

·
Registered
488 Posts
The relatively new "speed trap ahead" warning in Google Maps is a joke - by the time it says anything, you're so close to the reported point that it might as well say "please pull over to accept your greeting card from the nice officer".

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The relatively new "speed trap ahead" warning in Google Maps is a joke - by the time it says anything, you're so close to the reported point that it might as well say "please pull over to accept your greeting card from the nice officer".
I agree with that, at 70 mph, you are driving past where the officer "used to be" before it can be updated and then sent out to users.

we have a neat feature installed in our cars, it lets us wave that the Speed Traps, it is called +3 over the speed limit and Cruise Control.

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
Speed trap is a joke anyway. A location, on rt 66 two blocks from my property, has been designated a speed trap. I drive through there almost every day and have "never" seen an officer there.

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
So John. Is there any way to revert back?

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So John. Is there any way to revert back?
yes,
install F-Droid and then use the F-Droid store to find the older versions

https://f-droid.org/

I had to do that to backup about 10 older versions on one of my apps.... it was 10 years old, and when the phone died, I had to use my backups to restore my apps, and of course. google decides it is a'new' phone to me, and therefore, it must have the latest and worst version of every app installed.
( the new version conveniently deleted the "free use" for 1 device, it was Subscription only. )

I leave the Simcard out, and then bring up Play Store on WiFi, then hit Settings and tell "never update", but, when a new phone is installed, that is conveniently ignored...

so, F-Droid to the rescue, a painful exercise, because I to do each app that needed to be backed up, one at a time.... PITA.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts

CoPilot USA is an extremely good app, you download the entire USA in one fell swoop to the SDcard and it never looks at your Data Plan again.

I just posted this up as a FYI for folks who don't want that feature to be implemented. As I explained, on my phone, AutoUpdate is turned OFF so it won't effect me.

I rarely use the Google Map feature, every vehicle we have has a dedicated Garmin GPS, and that includes my bike which has a 7 inch screen so I can read it easily.... old eyes don't focus up close anymore, unless I am wearing prescription glasses.... which I usually don't when riding the bike.
I use the Google map feature a few times on my iphone and was not impressed. I have two old Garmins , one for my car and the other for my Wing. No issues. Except I would like to get rid of the 'rest area' symbol that obscures many things I would rather not be obscured. Anyone know how to get them off the screen?

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You talking about the Look Ahead feature?

If so, touch the X and it goes away.

Have never seen it obscure the screen on our Garmin GPS.
Have several models of them

·
Premium Member
344 Posts

AZ...which Garmin do you have on your bike that has a 7" screen?

Chief

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, 7 inch Garmin 2797
Love it.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is how I have mine mounted, I used a series of RAM mounts to get it to the left of the right hand grip, I have photos if you want to see them.

the photos are in my gallery:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts