Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I caught this tip elsewhere, I don't have NAVI on my 1800, so am just reposting what I read:

I have a 2006 1800 Touring and I have two unrelated questions. I love the bike but it bothers me that if I forget to turn on the Map for Navigation. I have to pull over, put it in neutral before it will let me do it. Is there a way to bypass this?

As you are traveling down the road, make sure no one around you.

1) touch button till display comes on for map.
2)turn ignition to ACC, pull clutch lever in.
3) touch the map button.
4)turn ignition to start and let clutch lever out.
5) Bing, bang, boom...maps are on.

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Plainly wrong I think!
Playing and shutting the engine off during a ride and restarting it. I think its easier to pull over and turn it on.
There are ways to bypass the starting but it is this way for a reason
Just try to remember before you leave the parking lot
Maybe the last part is correct:
Bing, bang, boom..

·
Registered
407 Posts
Also agree that this is not a good idea. It is not that hard to remember to turn the map on. I just turn the ignition on to ACC when I am getting my gear on. By the time I am ready to start the bike up, the maps are loaded and ready to go. Turn the key to ON and start the bike. The maps do not turn off when you switch from ACC to On. Works for me.

·
1,698 Posts
I have used this method for many years , - i agree it is not the perfect way , but i think it is safer than stopping on the motorway (i often forget to push the buttom after refueling ).

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,576 Posts
Instead of the fast moving bump start, you can touch the start button to get the bike running, bring the revs up and then disengage the clutch.

·
Premium Member
41,088 Posts
I have thought of doing it the way John shared. But in the long run I mounted a 6" Garmin with LMT's, easy to update, and the best part it doesn't take over the audio system if I deviate from my route.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have thought of doing it the way John shared. But in the long run I mounted a 6" Garmin with LMT's, easy to update, and the best part it doesn't take over the audio system if I deviate from my route.
yeah,
I much prefer my NAVI to the POS thing Honda installed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Believe it or not we did the same thing to answer a Qualcomm message in a big truck. Turn it off throw it in neutral answer the message .......fire back up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts