Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I just picked up an immaculate '84 GL1200 Standard (Naked Wing) and the turn signals don't work until the bike is warmed up. Also, once they ARE working, only the left signal self-cancels. I can hear the "click" that re-centers the left signal, but no click (or return) on the right.

Has anyone solved this mystery?

Paul

P.S. I really like the "push-to-cancel" turn switch on the newer (86 - 87?) 1200s. Could I do a plug-n-play swap to replace my '84 slide-to-cancel switch?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Granted they are different part numbers, but has anyone swapped them?

·
Administrator
26,569 Posts
Probably the signals don't work until the battery has been fully recharged after starting, the flashers on those old bikes have to have full voltage to work. Have you tried cleaning the switches, take the housing apart and use contact cleaner?
To change to the newer system probably could be done. The switch assembly and I think the cancel unit in the steering stem and some wiring would have to be changed.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,762 Posts
I can't remember the details, but we were considering doing the switch swap on another member's '84 and decided it wouldn't work.

Like Dave said, the switch probably needs cleaning and inspection.

·
Premium Member
3,756 Posts
Granted they are different part numbers, but has anyone swapped them?
Haven't done the swap on a GL1200. Did the swap on a GL1500 from SE to an Aspencade (required some extra wiring etc.).

I have a document describing how its done on the GL1500......!!

I know it would not be a "Plug and Play" swap as he asked about....!!:D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, everybody for your experience and feedback. I may just get the wiring diagrams for both an '84 and an '86/87 and trace out what goes where. Or maybe I'll just have a nap.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts