Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello everyone, I am glad I found this site. I recently picked up a 1982 Interstate that had been wrecked in the front. I rebuilt the bike as a custom, but I have a problem with the turn signals. The lights come on, but they won't blink. My question is, is there a way to bypass the speed sensor in the speedo? The speedo was smashed, so I fixed up the bike with a custom speedo. I have tested all the individual componets and they all seem fine. Or is the automatic turn canceling unit going to give me problems? Any advice at this point would be great.

Thanks in advance !!!

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
imported post

Might be the flasher needs replacing? I really don't know but sometimes the little things get overlooked.

By the way,welcome to the board. I'm new here too, and from what I've seen and read so far, I think this just might be the place to be!!!

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I think the flasher is OK. I jumped it straight to the power wire on the rear signals, and they flashed then. Too bad it was both at the same time.

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

verybadmonkey wrote:
I think the flasher is OK. I jumped it straight to the power wire on the rear signals, and they flashed then. Too bad it was both at the same time.
You've just proved that the flasher unit is faulty!

Welcome to the forum, verybadmonkey& Allen. :waving:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey verybadmonkey :waving: Welcome to the forum and visit often. :clapper:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Hello again, and thanks for the warm reception.

I am a little confused about the flasher. How do I test the flasher, and do I need the the parts from the speedo at all?

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
imported post

The auto canceller won't affect the flashing of the turn signals. only abad relay will do this. You can get a cheap car type one from a breakers and use that. Welcome to the forum :waving:.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

OK, I bow to the supremecy of the board. It was indeed the flasher. After that was changed I now have a seperate problem. The front signals come on, but do not blink. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

Not sure if this will be of benefit, but...

When the speed sensor assembly quit on my 1984 Aspencade, the self-cancelling feature of the signals quit as well. The signals would still work but had to be cancelled manually with the switch. Now that I have replaced the speed sensor, the self-cancelling is back working.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

verybadmonkey, are you using the proper flasher or are you using one from a car?

Different flashers operate with different current loads and you need the right one for your system. Also, are you using the 2 prong or 3 prong flasher?

Vic

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey Heffo :waving:Congrats on yourpromotion to "Active Member" :clapper:You must be well in with some politician :crying:to get that promotion before you had 150 mesgs posted :whip:eek:r maybe you sent a brown bag to wexman.:whip:
:walker::18red::walker:

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Come to think of it, I am only using two wires. A blackand grey one. I noticed a green one in the area, but didn't think anything of it until now. Do I need a special flasher?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.