Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi All,

Got one for ya here. 1995 GL1500I that I have been restoring after aquiring it from a previous owner who wreck it.

I'm starting to get things put back together, one of which was the trunk/saddlebag assembly. Plugged in the tailight, saddlebag lights, and hooked up the battery charger (battery is toast, but still connected). Turned on the key and presto.....lights. Starting doing the check list thing and found the turn signals do not work properly. BTW, there are no front signal harnesses yet (on order).

When I flick the switch for the signals, either left or right, the turn signal light illuminates, but does not flash. When in this state, the relay buzzes. I get the same condition which the emergency flashers (lights light but the realy buzzes, no flash).

This may be irrelavant, but I hooked up the saddlebag tailights to the front plugs just to get bulbs at all four corners. When I turn on the key, the bulb is highly illuminated (like it's using the filiment for the turn signal). When I turn on the signal, the bulb switches to the lower wattage filiment. Like it's wired backward.

I did try swapping the relays, but that did not work. So, my question is, where do I look next? Would the dead battery condition cause this even with the charger hooked up? So far, everything else seems to be OK. TIA

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

If you're getting at least 12V with the battery connected, it shouldn't be causing a problem. I'd measure the voltage across the battery to make sure. If you have low voltage that will prevent the turn signal from working, a buzzing relay is usually an indication of low voltage or a poor ground. You might want to wait until you have the front lights hooked up since some flashers won't work properly with a greatly reduced load.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.