Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I have an 89 goldwing and the turn signals wont operate independently. when signal is turned on all left and right signals come on(like hazards). I've changed the turn signal relay with no change. I've checked continuity of connectors listed in manual- all good. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
imported post

No ideas, only questions.
Has this just started or did you have the problem when you bought the bike?
Do your brake lights funtion OK?
Do your lights "dim" when you indicate? It could indicate an earth fault.
Have you fitted extra lights or anything electrical to the bike recently?
How "tidy" is the wiring? I've had bikes where I've removed miles of wiring but everything still works as it should afterwards.
I can't remember if the '89 has a hazard light button but it may have become faulty.
Check the condition of the wiring from the indicator switch where "pulls" as the handlebars turn - try moving the handlebars from lock to lock with the indicators switched on first one way, then the next.

Hopefully something will become obvious.
Good luck.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

This just started recently, intermittentlly at first, now all the time. Brake lights function ok, lights dont dim. I recently changed rear brakes, nothing electrical. 89 does have hazard button and it functions fine on its own relay. I will check wiring some more. Thanks very much for your thoughts and would appreciate any more.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Check your ground from the light. Sounds like it is trying to use a ground through others. It may be lose, corroded, or even off, and this being the case it seeks another ground. Follow the light bulb grounds. I seem to remember reading something about this in another post some time back. This was suggested to another but never heard back (or I missed it) from the poster.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
imported post

It sounds like either worn wiring or a bad earth (ground). It sounds daft but it may be worth taking each bulb out to see if there is any corrosion around it's connections.

A meter may not help here as it could be a connection that is breaking down under load.

·
Administrator
27,888 Posts
imported post

Remove each bulb one at a time and try it. When it starts working like it should you have started to isolate the problem. If it is not a corroded bulb socket then look at the connectors behind the left fairing pocket, I don't have an 89 manual so cant be specific but somewhere in there is a connector with a green wire that may be loose or corroded.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
imported post

I recently had this happen to me (1993 gl1500a). After much fiddling with my hazard switch... all went back to normal. I t happened more than once. Maybe haz button needs a work over as mine does.

dj

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
imported post

I have similar case appear too, both turning indicate light slowly on for few second or minutes when riding. But later all off become normal, I don't know what happened?!?! Last year happened many time, this year not much, just one time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.