Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I've just installed the original front signal stems/lights on my 78 Gl1000 (plain). The right front signal works great. The left side is not getting a clean ground between the stem/frame. These signals screw in at the chrome upper fork cover/tree. When i push ever so slightly on the turn signal assembly (thus putting pressure on the stem where it mounts to bike) the signal bulb comes on.

If i push on the Honda nameplate at the front so it touches the upper fork brace/cover, again i get ground. What's going on here? Do i need to bend in the fork cover, where the wires feed in from the signal stem, to make the fork cover make solid (ground) contact with the bike frame? I hooked up the working signal to the 'faulty' side and it works fine, so it's obviously a ground-to-chassis issue, not wiring. Please help, i don't want to damage my bike by reefing on the signal or bending metal/hammering like a neanderthal unecessarily.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
imported post

Why not just run a wire from the ground point in the unit to a point (perhaps the mounting nut for the turn signal) on the bike?

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Excellent workaround. Only problem is how to get the wire out of the unit. The bulb socket is rubber and plugs the hole through the mounting stem to the bike. I suppose i could cram it in there. Thanks

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Can anyone help with this please? How do i make better ground between fork cover and bike frame to get signal to work?

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

Is this a single wire connection (ie the ground wire is not visible and grounds through the stem of the turn signal unit) or are the two wires available for checking?

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

two wires

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.