Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

What's the preferred method, aside from pulling plugs to lessen compression? I'm concerned that using the back wheel might wear the u-joint from 'bumping' the wheel forward to turn the engine.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

I am not sure what you are asking... but if I am changing timing belts, I use the bolt behind the alternator

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

mag wrote:
What's the preferred method, aside from pulling plugs to lessen compression? I'm concerned that using the back wheel might wear the u-joint from 'bumping' the wheel forward to turn the engine.
Either way will work fine. That U-joint has taken a lot of abuse and can stand it. Ever make a bad shift? The U-joint took it. It ain't delicate like me!

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Yes, for timing belts and for static timing. The wheel method is kind of awkward for watching the flywheel, also dangerous with bike on sidestand -- almost dislodged it a couple of times! Seems that alternator bolt needs a 17mm box wrench? I haven't been able to get it off.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

mag wrote:
Mag, either way will work.. Using the rear wheel with the plugs removed is much easier on the drivetrain than a decel down shift. You will be surprised how easy it is to turn that engine using the rear wheel with the trans in high gear.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

thanks dudes

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

take the plugs out.

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

Plugs out and back wheel is really easy, you don't have to bump it with the plugs removed because there is no compression to fight against. Just a nice easy turning motion will do fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.