Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Has anybody ever turned their rotors? My local honda dealer won't even try, he says that they are too brittle to take anything off (he said this without even looking at them) and recomended that I buy new:stumped:.

On an 83 11100A

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
imported post

I don't know about brittle, but they are awfully thin. If you can find a shop that would have a water-cooled surface grinder that may be a better option. But they would still be prone to warpage.

Ypu may have to go new or e-bay used (gasp)

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

you might use the search feature as there has been lots of discussion about this topic, I have had one "ground" and had no problems, but as mentioned, they are thin, and traditional "turning" won't work. you might check to see if ebc still makes replacemnts, but be prepared to spend at least $200+. Check www.bikebandit.com

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

brandonscaldwell wrote:
Has anybody ever turned their rotors? My local honda dealer won't even try, he says that they are too brittle to take anything off (he said this without even looking at them) and recomended that I buy new:stumped:.

On an 83 11100A
brandonscaldwell, can't really say on a 1100 but I touched my 1200 rotors up on my lathe (about.008" per side).. As mentioned above there isn't much there so you sure can't remove much.. If yours are warped very much then probably not enough meat to flatten,, if just scored a little bityou could do a little but it really doesn't hurt to run them if scored a little once you break the new brake pads into the scored rotor. The hard part about lightly turning those rotors (even a little) is to keep the ringing out as you turn them, any ringing or vibration from the cutter will leave a rather poor surface for the pads to seat on..

If you do try to turn them have a machine shop do it on a lathe as most brake shops with conventional brake lathes will probably do more damage than good.

Twisty

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

brandonscaldwell wrote:

On an 83 11100A
If you can find a machine shop with quality machining equipment and a good machine operator you could have the rotors ground while spinning on a lathe. There would be a liquid cooled cup type of stone spinning on each side of the rotor while the lathe would be spinning the rotor. This would give a nice non directional finish and would allow for taking only a very small amout of material off the rotor. I used toturn the rotorsthis way on my Corvette's but have never tried it with a motorcycle rotor because I haven't come across one that was bad enough to need to be turned.

If your rotorsare in really bad condition why don't you get in touch with Frenchy at a Crescent Moon and see if he has a used rotor for a decent price. http://www.crescentmoonunlimited.com/html/special_iii.html

Vic

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

It's unfortunate that the 1100 has a more complicated rotor than the later models. The double sided ventilated type disks are very thin compared to the solid rotors of later models. It would be difficult to resurface them without running into problems of waveyness showing up in the disk surface due to the face that there are ribs between the two faces of the disk. If yours are beyond use about the only practical thing to do is to replace with either used ones from a low mileage parts bike or new ones if they are still available.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
imported post

I vaguely remember seeing them for around $160 each some time ago.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Not too bad, new brake rotors for my '90 Dodge truck are $400 each.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
imported post

There's a local shop that specializes in old Honda's (Phil's Cycle Shop, Waterford, Mi.). He turns them on a regular basis with no problems.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to take them to my local BMW motorcycle shop (since the local Honda dealer won't do it) and try to have them turned.

-Brandon

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.