1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1998 GL1500SE
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Automotive lighting Wheel Rim Gas Audio equipment

Sleeve T-shirt Art Bag Jewellery

Saw these on eBay for about £10 and took a gamble, a tiny bit of scraping and they fit perfectly!
I'm going to have to search for transparent gauze to protect them from water if I connect them (similar to what's in front of the standard speakers).

You might be wondering why I wouldn't connect these... when I measured with my meter, they read open circuit :unsure:
I connected one to my phone and it did play audio but was very quiet. Not knowing the resistance/impedance means I'm very reluctant to try and drive them from the Wing's head unit :confused:

They do look the part though 😁

Attachments

·
Registered
1993 GL1500 Aspy 1980 GL1100 STD
1,000 Posts
If they are piezoelectric tweeters they will read open circuit with an ohm meter. Piezo tweeters are electrically equivalent to a capacitor and block DC They also do not need a series capacitor to block low frequencies since they are inherently a capacitor themselves. Only Dynamic tweeters with a voice coil will have a resistance reading, and they DO require a series capacitor to block bass and midrange frequencies.

Reactions: Nitrowing

·
Premium Member
1998 GL1500SE
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If they are piezoelectric tweeters they will read open circuit with an ohm meter.
Thank you!
Now I'm going to find out how to connect these alongside the Pioneers to get down to 3 Ohms...

·
Registered
1993 GL1500 Aspy 1980 GL1100 STD
1,000 Posts
Simply connect them in parallel with the Pioneers. Won't change the total DC resistance, though.

Reactions: Nitrowing

·
Premium Member
1998 GL1500SE
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Simply connect them in parallel with the Pioneers. Won't change the total DC resistance, though.
Yeah... in series, only the piezo plays. In parallel, both play. Can't hear the piezo at all unless I put it next to my ear!
Ah well, at least they look pretty :ROFLMAO:
I did try running them on a frequency generator and they were most strident at 4kHz and 8kHz but as actual speakers... useless!

·
Premium Member
1998 GL1500SE
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hand Guitar accessory Finger Nail Automotive lighting

Gauze arrived this morning, ready to re-assemble the dash now...
Did Honda fit tweeters to any 1500?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts