1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Twist the Throttle: The Honda Goldwing

Discovery Turbo's "Twist the Throttle" looks at the Honda Goldwing, the largest, most complicated motorcycle in the world and the only place it's built is in America.

It's too bad the Marysville m/c plant is going to be decommissioned. But the video is nice anyway.

I did not realize the gl1800 is more complex even that the Honda Accord.

http://videos.howstuffworks.com/auto/motorcycles-videos

It says this is the "Video of the Day". Makes me wonder how long the link will be good.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
imported post

That was enjoyable, thanks.

·
Premium Member
20,586 Posts
imported post

That was cool! :cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

That was great, any idea how to save it to the computer?
Thanks for the link!

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

flashya2 wrote:
That was great, any idea how to save it to the computer?
Thanks for the link!
One possibility is to use Firefox and an Addon called
Magic's Video Downloader

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

Thanks John, that was cool :)

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

That was very cool. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

Ok, another way to save the link....

I copied the linkand put it into a word file......

Worked for me.......

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
imported post

But that's a link to the video where it is posted - not the actual video file.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
imported post

Thanks for the link, cool video.

I know the Marysville Plant is slated to close, anyone know what the stated reason is?

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
imported post

English Bob,

Thanks for that link. If its true, at least no one is loosing their job, so that's good news, too much of that going around.

I guess it doesn't matter where they build them, but I thought it was kinda cool that they built them in the U.S. Seems expensive to move all of that tooling.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I hope the do continue to make the 1800. It is quite the bike. Not really all that complicated either as you get familiar with it. Just a pain to get to some of the things you need to get to sometimes, such as the left high beam headlight. I have really enjoyed the 1800, and its technology. Kit

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
imported post

TitaniumWing wrote:
English Bob,

I guess it doesn't matter where they build them, but I thought it was kinda cool that they built them in the U.S. Seems expensive to move all of that tooling.

marysville is my parents home town (even though they moved out to NJ just as honda was moving in) so it was even more special for me going back there for honda homecoming & staying at my aunt's house just a mile down the road from the plant. i didn't pay much attention to the honda homecoming event before i got the gl1500i 5 years ago even though i had been in the area for family reunions several times that weekend, but now i wish it was continuing.

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

I had always figured they would not move the tooling, and that maybe there would be another Wing, or an end to the Wings. But just maybe they would move it.

It'll be interesting to see, by the time NASSIR2 rolls around we may well know what is happening.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
imported post

English Bob wrote:
I had always figured they would not move the tooling, and that maybe there would be another Wing, or an end to the Wings. But just maybe they would move it.
I just can not see them giving up the market they are King of. The only way I see them discontinuing the 1800 would be for a 2000. I've always said you can't have enough horsepower, but I am sure happy with the 1800. But, everyone just keeps building them bigger and I suspect Honda will too. Maybe not for a while yet, but I suspect an even bigger engine is in the future. But the Wing going away, I just don't see it.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
imported post

TitaniumWing wrote:
English Bob wrote:
I just can not see them giving up the market they are King of. The only way I see them discontinuing the 1800 would be for a 2000. I've always said you can't have enough horsepower, but I am sure happy with the 1800. But, everyone just keeps building them bigger and I suspect Honda will too. Maybe not for a while yet, but I suspect an even bigger engine is in the future. But the Wing going away, I just don't see it.
i'm figure they will redesign the goldwing & probably make it more fuel efficient, maybe keep the 1800 engine but give it a 6th gear & new plastic. i sure hope they don't discontinue the goldwing but since they are retooling anyway they might as well give it a makeover (nothing against the current design but it is 9 years old).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.