Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

:clapper:
You were sure right about the proper place to tension the timing belts. When all the marks are lined up for belt installation, the #2 side is tight and the #1 side is way to sloppy. When I rotated it one full turn, then #1 side was tight and the #2 side had the slop (opposite).

I took it all back apart this morning to make sure it was right. What I had done, not liking the adjustment at the belt “installation” marks, was rotate the crank around, looking for the loosest points at each belt and tightened the tensioners at that point…Then I check it the way you told me (in the Honda book-it’s not in the Haynes), and it checked out. I’d had it right.

Thanks for the info Twisty.

""77GL1, the L/H belt is checked & set as lined up, then rotated about 40° counter-clockwise,
then back to line-up position again.. At that time the pulley line-up & belt tension is
re-checked.

Now on the R/H side it is different.. On that side the pulley/belt is first lined up for timing,
then the crankshaft is turned one full turn (the UP mark on the cam pulley should now be down),
the R/H belt tensioner should then be tightened. That takes the spring tension off the belt
during belt tension setting. Some service manuals fail to mention that R/H setting difference
(I know not why)..

Twisty""

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

77GL1 wrote:
Thanks for the info Twisty.
77GL1, you're welcome, glad you have it all sorted out-- That info came right out of my old original Honda manual. For some reason some of the newer manuals fail to mention the full procedure.

Twisty

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.