Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Saturday, a beautiful day here in Middle Tennessee! Low humidity, dry and temps between 68 - 76 throughout the day!!

Wife and daughter went off to an annual "Mile long yard sale" in Watertown so I stayed behind and changed the oil in the bike.

My oldest son came by on his Harley and we decided to spend the day together riding! Left the house around 9:00, stopped by the local Honda dealer and spent about 45 minutes looking at bikes on the showroom floor. He just got his Harley fixed up from the little mishap he had a few weeks back and now he is thinking of trading it in on something better. I also sprang for a nice pair of winter gloves (Joe Rocket) that he seemed to like and NEED!

Left there and stopped at a Waffle House for breakfast. Good food, good company and good conversation. After breakfast we headed SW to Shelbyville and then on the famous Lynchburg where we spent an hour or so shopping for leather gloves and such in the historic town square. I found a pair of replacement half finger gloves for me like the ones I have been wearing for the past 2 years so added them to my collection and retired the old worn out ones.

From there we headed east through Tulahoma and Manchhester and then turned NE heading for the town of Woodbury all the while staying on the roads less traveled. We had a late lunch at Hardees and then went over to the local flea market followed by the ride home to Murfreesboro. All in all I guess we did about 150 miles or so and spent about 6-7 hours together.

At the end of the trip in a local parking lot I held out my hand for a shake goodbye and he pulled me in for a hug and said, "it was a great day Dad, I had a great time and I'm glad I spent it with you"! At that moment all the good weather, good riding, good scenery and good food was left behind and shadowed by the love and pride I have for my son...

A Day Well Spent!

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

I love days spent like that, it's what family, life and love is all about.

·
Ornery Old Cuss
308 Posts
imported post

Halfling
That story makes me tear up. How great to have your son express his Love for you like that.
Good job Old Man:)

·
Senior Smart Aleck
1,599 Posts
imported post

wodam wrote:
Halfling
That story makes me tear up. How great to have your son express his Love for you like that.
Good job Old Man:)
+1. Times like that make you forget all about the time you wanted to induce bodily harm for stupid stunts performed.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Beautiful.....

And beautifully put! Good on ya, Halfling, good on ya....

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
imported post

Sounds like a great day indeed. I cherish the times my son and I get to ride together. He doesn't have a bike at the moment but he uses his uncles once in a while until he can afford another one.

:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

At N-5 I had something like that several times with my son James..After our ride in the pouring rain, getting lost, riding on rain slickroads. The people we met along that route, and getting sunburned, it was our first ever long ride together. our "Bucket List" ride, But the hug at the end of it, soaked to the bone, cold, tired, that hug warmed me to my soul..Maybe some day again soon we will do it again, but that hug will remain with me forever...Yeah its great to have quality time with your children...

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
imported post

Amen,

The kids never really know how much they mean to us, unless we tell them. And, it means more when we give them a bit of our most precious resource - our time. Great story!

G

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
imported post

Sure is great to hear good things like that! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
imported post

Update: My wife Nancy (not to be out done), got up on Sunday and suggested that we go for a bit of a ride! Now remember, she had hip replacement surgery in April so we have been taking it pretty slow with only a few short test runs so far. So, we got suited up and off we went!

The weather was overcast and the temps were in the low 70s and even dipped into the high 60s once or twice. The leaves aren't changing much yet but the countryside was still awesome! We traveled about 130 miles all put together going the back roads from Murfreesboro to Columbia and then on to Lewisburg where we had a great lunch at Mildred's Buffet (on my return to list!). We then went over to Wartrace and Bell Buckle before getting home. She didn't complain once although the temps got a bit cooler than we planned for. She ended up wearing my rain jacket over the top of her gear as a wind breaker and was snug as a bug! A GREAT trip and another day well spent...

Now, I think she's ready for the 220 mile run over to Fontana Village in NC for our leaf peeping trip the weekend of Oct 20!!! We'll be heading out on Friday the 19th and making frequent stops along the way(Breakfast, 2nd Breakfast, Gas, Gift Shops and Lunch) so I'm SURE she will be just fine!

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
imported post

Halfling wrote:
At the end of the trip in a local parking lot I held out my hand for a shake goodbye and he pulled me in for a hug and said, "it was a great day Dad, I had a great time and I'm glad I spent it with you"! At that moment all the good weather, good riding, good scenery and good food was left behind and shadowed by the love and pride I have for my son...

A Day Well Spent!
A master card moment ....

Price of a pair of gloves $50

Price of breakfast and lunch for both of you $100

Price of a hug from your offspring ........ Priceless!!

Money can not buy a relationship like that.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

·
New Guy
791 Posts
imported post

"I held out my hand for a shake goodbye and he pulled me in for a hug and said, "it was a great day Dad, I had a great time and I'm glad I spent it with you"! "

not sure it gets any better than that, ever. (thx for posting)

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

John, I think I am as proud of Jason as you are! The way he made friends with Lois, the wonderful CD he sent her and the very nice letter he sent was so thoughtful. A very nice young man and a tribute to his Dad!

Dubs

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
imported post

Dubswing wrote:
John, I think I am as proud of Jason as you are! The way he made friends with Lois, the wonderful CD he sent her and the very nice letter he sent was so thoughtful. A very nice young man and a tribute to his Dad!

Dubs
Thanks Bernie! His mom and I are pretty proud of him. Now there were times mind ya that we would have given him away when he was a teenager (not really) but he seems to have overcome that time in his life and we are thankful that we all survived it!

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,841 Posts
imported post

:applause: Thanks for sharing your stories with us John! Being a Dad has some great moments!

John

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
imported post

Thank You John for sharing.... But I would have thought you would have him on a WING not a HD:ROFL::ROFL:GREAT photo of the two of you.

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank You John for sharing.... But I would have thought you would have him on a WING not a HD:ROFL::ROFL:GREAT photo of the two of you.

Unfortunately, he has never been one to take my advice!

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
That special moment will be with you forever, my friend! :cool:

Thanks for sharing such a tender moment. :applause:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.