Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Bargoyle (80 gl1100) seems to have trouble keeping the pressure in the front air suspension. I can find no obvious problems. Any tips on where to start?

Also, is it typical that the brake light only triggers with the back brake?

And third, if you are driving your car at the speed of light, what happens when you turn on the lights?:action::action:

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
imported post

Usually it's the oil seals, or a faulty valve stem, Mix up some soapy water and watch for bubbles,

No there should be a switch on the front brake, Some are on the handel others are down on the brake line t.

I think it would be dark

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
imported post

ubarw wrote:
Bargoyle (80 gl1100) seems to have trouble keeping the pressure in the front air suspension. I can find no obvious problems. Any tips on where to start?

And third, if you are driving your car at the speed of light, what happens when you turn on the lights?:action::action:
Hi ubarw,

For the front suspension I would use the old soapy water routine. Put a few drops of liquid soap in a glass of water and sort of soap it up a bit, then pressurize the front forks. Now just apply the soapy mixture around all the joints and the fork oil seals. Any obvious leaks should bubble. If you find no leaks in the joints or fittings, check the crossover tube that runs from the left to right fork...soap it up along its length and see if the hose itself is leaking. You could just have a bad o-ring in one of the fittings. Of course, not finding any bubbles doesn't mean much....the pressure may be too low or the leak too slow to find this way.

Agreed - the front brake handle should activate the brake light.

I don't know about a car, but if you're on a Wing riding at the speed of light and switch on your high beams....well, you'll just probably drain the battery if it's an 1100 or 1200. :)

Jack

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
imported post

ubarw wrote:

ubarw -

Front brake switch is on the brake-lever/master cylinder. There are two wires connected to the bottom of the brake assembly. You should get continuity between the terminals with the lever pulled - or short the two wires together to activate the brake light. That will help determine which way to go from there.

As far as the speed of light question, that is the problem Einstein solved with his theory of relativity - it's all relative. If you were traveling at the speed of light, your headlight beam would travel away from you at the speed of light in your frame of reference. Someone standing on the sidewalk seeing your headlight approaching would measure the light coming at him at the speed of light also (relative to his frame of reference).

Doesn't seem right, but he's Einstein and we're not.He also says it would take an infinite amount of energy to go the speed of light, and at the price of gas these days, you couldn't afford it anyway.

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I suppose I understand the frame of reference, reference. I had always thought that perhaps the heat generated by the light would radiate but with no visible signs. But, the problem with that is leaning out the window far enough too see. And, with me going the speed of light, I am sure a bug would really sting hitting you at that speed...

:action:

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
imported post

Now the speed of light - if travelling at the speed of light ;)what you see in the rear view mirror is the speed of dark :action:

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
imported post

ubarw wrote:
Bargoyle (80 gl1100)

Without lights you must be driving at the speed of dark , what is the speed of dark?

:baffled::stumped:

BB

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

It´s the seals leaking.On the 80 models there are no compressors or extra hoses to leak from. Check the crossover hose connections to make sure they are okay.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

ubarw wrote:
First, be sure you are checking the air with a low volume air gauge. If you are using a large air gauge it will use up (drain) a lot of your air on each checking. Next, make sure you are always checking the air with the bike set up the same way. If the bike is on or off the side stand, with or without a rider can make a difference in measured air pressure. Then make sure you are always checking at about the same fork temperature. Before of after a ride can make a big difference.

If you still suspect a leak you might startat theupper fork cap "O" ring area. You probably have a leaking cap "O" ring or crossover tube seal. If you aren't leaking oil at the fork seals you probably aren't leaking the air there as those seals are below oil level most of the time so would leak oil with the air.

You can use some soapy water & a small paint brush to check for leaks, just paint the suspect areas with the soapy water & look for bubbles. Dish washing soap or laundry detergent probably isn't the best choice for soap as those usually don't bubble very good, they moreor lessfoam. Regular bar hand soap works pretty good if lathered into the water. Kids bubble maker works great if you have access there.

You might have to over-inflate the forks slightly to find your leak as a low pressure slow leak is hard to find. If you still can't find the leak you might have to get creative. I usually just inflate the forks with air conditioning Freon then use my A/C sniffer to locate the leak (works great).

No, the brake light should come on with either the front or rear brake lever. You probably either have a defective front brake switch or a broken wire.

And third, if you are driving your car at the speed of light, what happens when you turn on the lights?

Nothing, you are driving too fast to see in front of you anyhow. It's also hard to hold your head still at that speed as the air blowing on your helmet is pretty strong!!!!

Twisty

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

One of the two solved... I looked at the brake switch wires coming out of the handle. The wires were off, and the tabs bent over. I quick squeezysqueezy with the pliers, and a little straightening took care of that little problem.

I also think that I will be looking into a fork rebuild.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.