Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

TWO UP ????

2K views 30 replies 19 participants last post by  Hanko 
#1 ·
imported post

The other day I went for a few beers :blackstuff::toast::toast::toast:.

On the way out to my bike a girl:)asked if she could get a short ride on my bike sooooo I said sure. I have never had two up on my 1200 . Before I went in to have a beer I put the bike up on the center stand , So when she got on it was still on the centerstand she is about 150 lbs I am 200 lbs.

When I went to take the bike off the centerstand I coul'nt get it down.

My Q is should I had the bike on the side stand or get on the bike first and have her get on second ? What do you all do to put two up ?:action:

#2 ·
imported post

you should not sit on the bike while on the centerstand, you will end up bending it causing it not to lift the bike off the ground. and giving you headaches.
and the same goes to the side stand.. when you get your passenger on, you must lift ur bike and hold it.

#3 ·
imported post

My routine - on every bike I've ever owned.

Me first - take bike off centerstand, or raise sidestand.
Check my footing for loose gravel or other undesireable problems
Give my passenger "the signal"
She gets on in her own inimitable way

#5 ·
imported post

Dusty wrote:
I forgot to tell you I was on loos gravel also
That's when I move, to where I'm not on loose gravel, first.

A simple, "Let me move, can I ask you to walk over there?" may prevent an embarrasing and potentially dangerous situation.

#6 ·
imported post

Dusty wrote:
"Sorry, dear, I've had a few beers."

#8 ·
imported post

Dusty wrote:

On the way out to my bike a girl:)asked if she could get a short ride on my bike sooooo I said sure.
For this part - only you would know if that was wise. A "few beers" over hours might be OK. But please be careful both for yourself and others that you are not buzzed riding - not a good thing.

Dusty wrote:
I have never had two up on my 1200 . Before I went in to have a beer I put the bike up on the center stand , So when she got on it was still on the centerstand she is about 150 lbs I am 200 lbs.

When I went to take the bike off the centerstand I coul'nt get it down.

My Q is should I had the bike on the side stand or get on the bike first and have her get on second ? What do you all do to put two up ?:action:
For this part I ...

get on the bike,

dismount the center stand,

get the bike to a flat spot if possible with no sand or gravel facing the direction I wish to go (so I don't waste time and energy backing up 2 up),

stand up with both hands on the handlebars,

have my 2 up rider step on the left side board and try to step straight up (as opposed to cranking sideways like mounting a horse) and step through the rear seat to the other passenger board and seat comfortably,

then I communicate with the passenger to see if they are "all set" - my wife and I use hand signals - I give a "thumbs up" asking if she's ready and she gives me the "OK" sign,

look around for any oncoming traffic or impediments to my accessing the road safely,

then start the bike forward.

#9 ·
imported post

I had three beers in six hrs of playing pool .
I see my mistake
The last time I had two up was with my Harley it did not have a trunk
Thanks

#10 ·
imported post

I always have my passenger mount first. It gives them more room to get on and a much more stable platform. I would rather deal with getting the bike off the side stand with the extra weight than have to mess with the shifting that a passenger creates trying to get on while you try to hold the bike steady. Never had a problem with a side stand not holding the weight.

#11 ·
imported post

chiefcherokee wrote:
I always have my passenger mount first. It gives them more room to get on and a much more stable platform. I would rather deal with getting the bike off the side stand with the extra weight than have to mess with the shifting that a passenger creates trying to get on while you try to hold the bike steady. Never had a problem with a side stand not holding the weight.
I have had my wife get on after me and the bike did shift lol .:cheeky1: I was thinking to let the passenger mount first and just tell her to put her foot on the pavement as I stand it up. I do have a back rest on my bike for me so there is not a lot off room for a passenger to mount up after I get on. I did think if she is light 100 lb or so on to have her get on after me .:action:

#13 ·
imported post

My wife is 5'11" and prefers I get on first. Bike has a backrest + armrests & she has zero problems.

Many times, though, I have got off the bike& left her sitting there with the sidestand.

She is an experienced rider and knows how to lean over the bike when mounting to maintain the 'center-of-gravity', so I hardly notice when she gets on.

If it were someone i didn't ride with, I'd be on the bike first & holding on for all I'm worth.

Some passengers will mount from left with sidestand and throw their weight, taking the bike over with them. :shakehead:

#14 ·
imported post

If mine is on the center stand I get on with it still on it and rock forward to get it off. Then my wife gets on. She ALWAYS asks me if Im ready for her to climb aboard. We did something different one day and talk about spooking me,she always gets on from the left side and we were in a different situation and she had to get on from the right. I was not prepared for that. My mind is so used to her getting on from the left that my body was waiting for the torque to the left that when she got on from the right we almost went over. Lesson learned. She will always get on from the left now. Just be prepared.

#15 ·
imported post

The woman who hangs around here gets on after I have the bike upright with the sidestand folded. I get on first stand forward as far as I can with both feet on the ground and holding the bars and the front brake. She gets on however she does it (I can't see behind me) and once she's settled I slide back onto the seat and off we go. Much easier than righting a bike off the side stand with a passenger sitting on the rear seat and a lot less strain on the side stand. Since you're already standing and the bike's already up right the risk of dropping it in gravel or unstable ground is lessened.

#16 ·
imported post

I am so glad that you all share your experience here. I have only had tow up now four times the last was just a was on the wing. On the Harley there was no trunk so it is just swing the leg over and you are on.:action:

#17 ·
imported post

Good topic Dusty. I have yet to take my first wife on a cruise. I was looking at the bike wondering if I should be on it first or not. I noticed a neighbor of mine who has a Goldwing keeps his bike on the side stand and his wife scampers right up, then he gets on. Looks like they've done that a few times because it went quick and smooth. I'm thinking I'd rather be on the bike and have her lean forward and try keep her weight centered as best she can.

#20 ·
imported post

Don't forget to adjust your mirrors!!!

Tell them how you expect them to "behave" if they aren't use to it. Better to tell them not to fight the turns now then after. Also, if they're novice, remind them to keep their darn hands off your helmet(esp the visor/goggles lol) and arms not around your neck. Sounds humorous but some people freak out.

Also, if it's not someone you're used to riding with, and you haven't helmet to helmet communication, decide on a clear-cut non-verbal signal that means "stop this damned crazy thing, pull the heck over and let me off!!"

And depending on the relative size of your passenger, remember your bike might accelerate, handle, and stop differently than when you're solo.

#21 ·
imported post

The best advice I've given new backseat riders on a bike is to emulate a sack of potatoes. In other words, just sit there don't help in turns by leaning. When the bike is moving slowly don't move about, save that for times when the bike is running at a steady speed and not maneuvering slowly. Never make sudden moves, that might catch the driver by surprise.

#24 ·
imported post

I mount my GW first and while standing my wife gets on. I leave the side stand down in case my foot would slip but I support the bike and not the stand.

#26 ·
imported post

Here is a subject I've never thought of before, my passenger(wife or son) will get on first while parked w/sidestand, I hold the left handlebar so the bike won't tip to the right as they plop thier fanny down, lift my backrest, I get on, Dang you guys,now I WILL be thinking about it and somthin's gonna go wrong!:dude:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.