Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 1986 Aspencade GL1200 with I believe a type 3 (Panasonic) casette/stereo system. The casette and stereo system work, however, I had to bypass the center electronic trip control (the automatic volume control adjustment is in this). I took it in to a local shop and they didn't know what was wrong but just unplugged the two din connectors that go into the electronic trip control system and basically plugged them together thus bypassing the system. Now the radio system works fine but the AVC doesn't work.

Any ideas on how the AVC system works and how to troubleshoot the problem would be appreciated.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

JRW wrote:
I have a 1986 Aspencade GL1200 with I believe a type 3 (Panasonic) casette/stereo system. The casette and stereo system work, however, I had to bypass the center electronic trip control (the automatic volume control adjustment is in this).
It appears that you don't have a regular Aspencade but an Aspencade SEI. That and the '85 LTD are the only two models with the trip computer and EFI. The AVC circuitry is in the computer so you've effectively bypassed it and the balance/fader joystick. What was wrong before you bypassed?

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

When the local stereo store bypassed the AVC by unpluging two 5-pin din connectors (I'm at work but I think they are 5-pin din's), the fader still works okay. I can fade from front to back without any problem. Before they bypassed the AVC the radio would turn on but there was no volume and turning the volume control on the radio and/or on the AVC knob did nothing. The radio acted like it was dead even though the tuner indicated that it was on a station. Once the AVC was bypassed then the volume control on the radio works fine, the fader on the trip computer works fine.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

I'm wondering if you had the Headset / Speaker button on "Headset"... There may have been nothing wrong with the radio... :baffled: It's been known to happen... :doh:

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I don't have a headset but what I did notice is the talk button on the left handler bar doesn't click in and out.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

JRW wrote:
I don't have a headset but what I did notice is the talk button on the left handler bar doesn't click in and out.
Not an uncommon problem, had the same thing with my radio mute button, give it a squirt of contact cleaner/lube or some WD40, and push it in and out with a pair of pliers that have their jaws wrapped with some tape. Don't force it, if it won't come free you'll have to dismantle the thing.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Hey, JRW. Go up to upper right of this page, where it says "Logged in as JRW" Right next to it it should say "new message" Click that, and you should see "re" click on that, and read the PM (posted message)

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

9 times out of 10 I find that the radio controls are simply dirty or corroded from not being used. Spend some time working them back and forth over their full travel and see if anything improves. Electrical cleaner and then electrical lube will help very much in this process, but, you'll need to pull the knobs off the get the cleaner and lube into the space between the shafts and the housing.

Vic

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.