Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hi all, would like to know what to expect with this import vehicle test, have every intention of importing a late 1500 or maybe a 2-3 year old 1800 in early april, i would like any info concering buying, as i intend to tour the mid western states prior to arranging shipping back to the uk, thanks dave;

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Hi Dave ,,what country are you in ? if you are in Ireland ,you dont have to change anything ,,but as far as I am aware in the UK you have to disconnect the amber running lights and put parking lights in the headlight ,I think there are also emission changes ,also if the bike is fitted with CB ,in the UK CBs on american fM are illegal ,I am not up to speed on the UK regulations ,but I am sure someone will answer this for you ,,

In Ireland we are covered by the same EEC regulations ,but they dont enforce them very strongly ,that is why we can import from the states with no real hassel ,,,cheers Ciaran:waving:

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

Dave,

Deciphering your note, I believe you are in the US, or will be in the US, plan on touring in the US in the spring and will then ship back to the UK?

Buying used, strongly recommend that you start studying ebay now for price ranges and also to learn the tricks of ebay, the dos and donts. On each item that fell into your range, study the bid history and location. Learn to study bidding patterns of the other bidders. Then when you are ready to buy, pick your bikes on the basis of location as well as price and condition. Apply what you have learned of techniques and carefully assess your competition.

You will see certain areas tend to be lower in price on some items and higher on others. (e.g. The US midwest is lower on touring bikes, higher on non US built sedans.) As you are going to tour, it makes sense to travel where the best prices are and then start there.

Quick visit to the shop to give your new Wing a once over, then off you go. If she will be your first Wing, I strongly recommend you spend some time seriously practicing with her away from traffic. Any large bike is a challenge to the inexperienced and takes time to get accustomed to. It's the low speed driving in the villages that will throw you, the open road is what she was built for.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

thanks brogees,thanks for the wisdom, didnt know tourers were cheaper in the west, lucky thats where i intend going, i am watching ebay, i did email one seller but he was not prepared to wait until mid march for collection, i have had 4 wings since 83, the one i have now i bought six years ago, so i am tempted to go for a 1800, cheers dave;

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

LOL Dave do not worry about waiting, I observed ebay for 9 months before I was ready to buy, some of that not even in the states. Then when I was ready, I found and bought mine within one month. The turnover is superb, although better the older you are willing to accept.

I could not reach the 1800 prices and decided on a 1200 for fuel economy and appearance. While I do like the 1500s and 1800s something about the earlier Wings just looks more ??? ...Motorcycle? to me.

No offense to any of the newer Wing owners here meant, after all what sort of taste would you expect from a tinker's spawn?

Do though be careful, there was a rash of superdeals where 1800s were listing "Buy it Now" for US $4500.00. All you need do was wire by telegraph to an address in Turkey and your bike would be shipped to you when the monies were received!! I played one for fun, telling him the money had wired out and banged back, what sort of problem did their telegraph have? He went crazy trying to track it!! LOLOL!!!

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
imported post

my 18 is an import and has the US spec CB fitted - the amber running lights have been disabled bu thte cb is fine - and it hasnt had a parking light fitted either. I didnt import it but other than the running lights it is stand US spec bike.

rgds

Phil

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Phil, just buy the bike and bring it back. The bike shops here just import used US gl1500s and sell them straight on without changing anything.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.