Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

I have the Typhoone on my 1500. It has served me well for 5 seasons now.

I always had to look through it, and I have been in some nasty fog and rain. It gives real good protection,,,,,,,, but I started getting nervous every time it would rain, or getting caught in the dark, or fog.

In early spring of 2011, I came home in a light rain and had enough,,,,,,,,,, so I cut 5 inches off. I don't know why I waited so long:cool:.

To answer your question,,,,,,, it's a good quality shield. But,,,,,,, I could not adjust the hieght becauseof it's extra thickness. Inever needed to adjust anyway.

I'm replacing it with a Cee Bailey this year.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

The idea with a windshield is to be able to see over the top of it .... not looking through it.

If you have a tall shield that requires you to look through them will be a real safety hazard during rain, fog, dirt flying up on them from passing cars/trucks, never mind trying to look through one at night while riding against oncoming traffic/riding through town when it's raining!! :shock:

Shields will get scratched easily and those tiny scratches refract any incoming light. Get yourself a shield that you can easily see over and be safe.

It amazes me thatthose 'riders' that say they never ride at night, or when it's raining have yet to 'clue in'. If you have never ridden during those conditions, then my friend, you just don't ride often. Sooner or later, even with your best intents of riding like that, you will get caught and will put yourself/passenger and others at risk!

I had an OEM shield that while I could easily see over it at it's lowest position at the start of the day, after many hours of riding, I found myself slouching and then had to either readjust my riding position, or stretch my neck to see the road60' - 70' in front of me. When it came time too buy a new windshield, I went with a Cee Bailey's screen that was 2" shorter than the stock OEM shield, so no matter how much I slouched, I could easily see over it. (I'm 6', with a 21 1/2" torso)

Since the Cee Bailey iswider than the OEM one and is designed a little different, it offers mebetter protection/less buffeting than the OEM. It's also thicker.

Here's a couple of shots of my old OEM stock height windshield; ....

.... and a couple of roughly the same profile, with my - 2" Cee Bailey's windshield. ....

Here's a shot of my -2" screen, compared to Winger's Typhon screen, after he had lopped off 5". ....

I can easily see over my windscreen, while Dave has to strain his neck to see over top of his. He told me he wished he had of cut another 1/2" - 1 1/2" off, so he could see over it easier.

Although my windscreen looks short, because of it's width and design, it offers me better protection. :cool:

I'm very happy with it.

Cee Bailey's often has a sale, where you get at least 10% off.

Here's a link for a little more reading on the Cee Bailey I did not long ago; -

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/view_post.php?post_id=1503531

Dusty

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The Cee Bailey is a fine windshield, I put on on my 1500 and appreciated it's clearness and lack of distortion. There wasn't even any rainbow effects from stress when I wore my polarized sunglasses. The CeeBailey windshield is a bit thicker than the OEM. When I mounted mine on my bike I made up some short little spacers to put on the windshield screws which effectively lengthened the screw's shoulderenough to make up for the difference in thickness between the old windshield and the C.B. That's all it took to keep the adjustable option working. I ordered the standard height windshield and after installing it I cut off about 1 1/2" off the top. I won't use a windshield that I can't see over in normal riding position. I've had too many times when heavy rain or a glob of mud has been thrown on the screen. I really don't like IFR flight on the ground.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
The Cee Bailey is a fine windshield, I put on on my 1500 and appreciated it's clearness and lack of distortion. There wasn't even any rainbow effects from stress when I wore my polarized sunglasses. The CeeBailey windshield is a bit thicker than the OEM. When I mounted mine on my bike I made up some short little spacers to put on the windshield screws which effectively lengthened the screw's shoulderenough to make up for the difference in thickness between the old windshield and the C.B. That's all it took to keep the adjustable option working. I ordered the standard height windshield and after installing it I cut off about 1 1/2" off the top. I won't use a windshield that I can't see over in normal riding position. I've had too many times when heavy rain or a glob of mud has been thrown on the screen. I really don't like IFR flight on the ground.
Hmmm,,,,,,,, wonder if I'll have to do the same when I get mine installed. I also got the standard height :?.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

DOCWEB wrote:
so since it's a thicker windshield does it not rattle like the oem??
Although I don't have my CB installed yet, I don't think it would rattle. Dusty never mentioned it while we were on tour together.

The Typhoon never ratteled either. It is thicker then OEM,,,,,, but I know it would "flex" in a strong wind, and when I was crossing Kansas, those big oncoming 18 wheelers going 80 mph would make itflex good :shock:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

My Cee Bailey didn't rattle even though I effectively lengthened the mounting screws to allow the windshield to be raised and lowered like the OEM one. The CB didn't flex in gusty wind conditions either.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

My experiences with my Cee Bailey's windshieldis exactly the same as Exavid's! :cooler:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.