Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyre choices? -- GL1500 '96

2K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  chiller 
#1 ·
imported post

Tyre choices? Well I've narrowed my research to another set of Dunlops, the current E3 Elites or a set of Avon Venom's.

I do a mixture of single - two up and pulling a trailer. My bike has not been ridden for about 6 years and the current tyres [K177's] have 18,000 kms on them. The rear probably has at least 2000 ks more but the front is nearly done.

How different is the current Dunlop Elite to the K177. Wear comfort handling safety etc?

Also I've seen quite a few report from riders on the Avon Venom that seem really happy with good life but none indicate if they also tow a trailer.

Thanks for any info you can share.

Steve

#2 ·
imported post

I have had very good results with the E3s om my Valkyrie. I'm currently running a Dunlop Austone Taxi Tire on the rear and absolutely love it.

Dubs

#3 ·
imported post

chiller wrote:
Tyre choices? Well I've narrowed my research to another set of Dunlops, the current E3 Elites or a set of Avon Venom's.

I do a mixture of single - two up and pulling a trailer. My bike has not been ridden for about 6 years and the current tyres [K177's] have 18,000 kms on them. The rear probably has at least 2000 ks more but the front is nearly done.

How different is the current Dunlop Elite to the K177. Wear comfort handling safety etc?

Also I've seen quite a few report from riders on the Avon Venom that seem really happy with good life but none indicate if they also tow a trailer.

Thanks for any info you can share.

Steve

As far as comparing the K177 rear to the E3 rear, the E3 has a little better wear, but is noisier as it will cup a bitmore

For the front, the E3 is by far the better tire. Vastly improved handling (not bothered by tar snakes/metal decking)and wear. Keep your tires inflated to at least 40 PSI front and 42PSI rear, for increased tire life, handling and cooler running tires.

As a bonus (at least here in North America, the E3s are a bitless expensive.

Dusty

#5 ·
imported post

If you have not ridden in 6 years the tires need replaced anyway due to their age.
I have loved my E3 Dunlops, but am going to the Darkside with an Austone rear and Pilot Actic on the front.
If you stay with the motorcycle tires, the E3's are great.

#6 ·
imported post

Thanks for your input guys. Pity car tyres are illegal on a bike here [so I'm told] they may have been an option. Probably take another look at the Dunlops but I have to say they have always been a good tyre but certainly not a great tyre. Again thanks for the thoughts.

#7 ·
imported post

I ride an 85 GL1200 and have been running the Pirelli MT 66 Route.

They handle good but need to be kept inflated 40# front and 42# rear. Have no complaints and don't show much wear after 12,000 miles.

However, the rear tire does not hold up well to spikes being driven through the top and out the sidewall. The tire was about a week old when this happened. I'm still riding it...just plugged the holes and air it up before a ride. I have a tube to put in but haven't gotten to it quite yet. :waiting:

#9 ·
imported post

what is to prevent you from just putting the tire on the bike and going on your merry way?

I doubt that anyone could, or would, give a hoot about the tire under your bike while you tool down the road.

and if you are in front of the bally bar, they will be thinking about their next "cool one", not your tire.

#10 ·
imported post

Steve, I had a pair of Avon Venom's put on my '91 this year. Handled like a different bike, and I mean that in a good way... Handling, ride quality, noise, very happy with it all.

#11 ·
imported post

My friend has run two sets of Metzeler Marathon ME880s on his '97 GL1500, and has been pleased with their performance wet and dry, as well as their mileage.

He just changed to a Bridgestone Exedra G702 Touring tire on the back because of its higher load rating. (He's a big guy and nearly exceeds the load limit on the bike by himself.)

#12 ·
imported post

I went out yesterday with the intention of getting the Avon's but my tyre fitter had everything but. Ended up putting on a set of Metzler 880 Marathons.As a new tyre they seem to be a bit prone to wander, but that was only 10kms home at a max of 60 kms [about 35mph] They were starting to settle down by the time I got home. So I will see how they perform, I'm a very conservative rider but I must admit my dunlops were wore out to the edge. I had to get tyres as the bike has been off the road for over 5 years and the tyres have 18000 kms and have gone rock hard.
This is a great forum. I will have a question about radios very soon :)

Steve

#14 ·
imported post

Thanks for the discussion on the tyres. Over the weekend I rode about 160 kms with friends and the tyres are very nice. The tyre fitter had low 30 psi in the front and about 40 in the rear so I increased that as per the Metzler site to 41 front and 44 rear and the difference was very noticeable. As the bike has been off the road for awhile it was recently tuned with new plugs etc. Sitting on about 70 mph I got just under 45 mpg [Imp gallon] Even though we are metric here in Australia MPG :) still makes sense to me even if I have to convert from kms and litres. We have used metric for over 30 years and it is a far superior [generally] system of units -- except for a head that learned MPG as a kid :)

#15 ·
imported post

Chiller, I'd be interested in a follow up report on those Metzelers, and advice on which of the Oz retailers stock them. Our local tyre spot develops a blank look when anything other than Dunlop is mentioned.

#16 ·
#17 ·
imported post

Dusty from what I read on this site and others problems were reported on the Metzelers but the separations etc were reported on the Brazilian made tyres. Mine definately had "Germany" on the sidewall. I will certainly be keeping a close watch on them though. I wonder if problems are occurring with these tyres because of under inflation. The figures on the manufactures site are significantly more than I've heard many people running. Just a thought.

Scons I got mine from GC motorcyles in Adelaide. Ask for Peter.

http://dontslipgrip.com.au/

Steve

#18 ·
imported post

Could very well be that they are under inflated. All of my tires are kept inflated to at least the tiremanufacturer's maximum rating.

Those cruiser buddies of mine, keep theirs inflated to 10lbs (or more)above what the motorcycle manufacturers recommend for pressure settings (which is usually for comfort/softer riding characteristics)

An under inflated tire not only heats up much more, leading to tire failure, but also doesn't handle as well asa higherinflated one. Tire life/mileage, handlingand to a far lesser extent, fuel mileagealso increases with a higher inflated tire.

Do let us know how you get on with them, 10-15,000 miles down the road, will ya.

Dusty

#19 ·
imported post

I cannot say for certain but I've just read many reports on the ME880 on about 3 different fora with HD riders and some Goldwing riders and it seems the problems "may" have been with Brazilian made White walled tyres.

Mine are black walled German.

I will definitely be checking mine every time I saddle up.

#21 ·
imported post

chiller wrote:
Scons I got mine from GC motorcyles in Adelaide. Ask for Peter.

http://dontslipgrip.com.au/

Steve
Thanks for that Steve. He's the other side of the country virtually, but if I keep having local hassles I might take a punt on phoning or emailing for advice. I'd expect he could order for me for delivering to CQ if need be.

#23 ·
imported post

Chiller, thanks. I'll be down there in Adelaide next month, but doubt I could get tyres within my Qantas baggage limit. We're looking forward to the trip - never been that close to Antarctica before :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.