Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just wanted to give some tyre feedback that might interest wingers in Australia.

My '96 Aspey has just clocked over 200K klms. I bought the bike 12 months ago and had been very happy with the Michelin Hi Tours that came on the bike. They were in need of replacement, so I thought I would stick with what I had gotten comfortable with.

Bugger, Michelin don't make them any more. I scoured this site to get an idea of what I should buy, knowing that I was looking at about $600AU. From my reading, I soon determined that a bikers preference for tyres is like his preference for women, very individual and personal.

I decided to take a gamble and purchased Michelin's replacement tyre, the Pilot GT.

I just completed a 1000 klm ride over this last weekend and couldn't be happier. I did a lot of the trip through mountain terrain and after taking it easy early, I started to get a bit more adventurous. I found the bike handled faultlessly all trip with no wobbles or other bad behaviour. The tyre performed very well. It didn't rain so I couldn't test them in the wet. But that doesn't worry me much, cause I tend to ride very cautiously in corners when it rains.

Have a great riding summer down under and ride safe.

·
Premium Member
10,010 Posts
imported post

good to see you took the advice on board, the pilots are well suited to our crap roads here and yes they are brilliant in the wet as well :cool::cool:

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Hi Taffy,

Can you help with this.

When I put the tyres on I also has the front fork seals replaced. I removed & replaced the forks myself and put new brake pads in. I noticed on the trip, that when I braked to a stop, I could hear just one knock and felt the knock in the foot brake pedal. When I braked hard using just the hand lever it didn't happen. I was carefiul to follow the manual and adjust the clearance of the left caliper as mentioned. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
10,010 Posts
imported post

can you feel it through the bars as well?, if so then maybe a bit of slop in the front and you only feel it when the rear slows more than the front at first...

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Not really I felt a shudder a couple of times when I had to brake when I had it leaning in a corner.

·
Premium Member
10,010 Posts
imported post

the shudder can be attributed to new pads and worn disks but the knock seems like it needs a re-check of all bolts and mounts up front....

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks Mate,

I will recheck the front when I clean it tomorrow. The front of the bikeis a lovely shade of yellow from all the bugs & ****. It is going to be one of those riding seasons.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

There was a lawsuit and a recall on the Hi-Tours. I was disappointed because I wanted to try them since they are radial tires designed for the 1500. As far as I know they were the only radials ever made for the 1500.

Scroll down to the bottom of this link:

http://www.sjblaw.com/newsletters/archives/fall98.html

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.