Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:?Any suggestions for new rubbers for my 1800? I'm not keen on the Dunlops again if there are better options.

Max.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

I was far from base on my 1800 wingwhen I received a call on my radio that wingnut was about to open a new mesg board, and to return to base immediately. Phew ! ! ! ! Im back and I think im number (6) Six. To answer your question re tyres. I would recommend Bridgestones. I have just fitted a new set and have completed 340 (S)miles. I had 11000 miles on the previous set of stones with no problems,but these even make the wing feel better.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
imported post

I'm being converted to the new Bridgestones. The originals were rubbish but I have to say the reports on the new ones are very good. Good grip in the wet and no more cupping apparently.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
imported post

I agree about the Dunlop’s - not a very good tire in my opinion. I have run the Bridgestone’s – a good all around tire and would recommend them. Currently have Avon’s – this is a good looking tire that handles nice wet or dry – my only complaint is this tire is noisy. Read many good reviews about the Metzler’s tire and plan on trying them next. I assume that all brands are available in Ireland…

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
imported post

Craig Moore wrote:
Currently have Avon’s – this is a good looking tire that handles nice wet or dry – my only complaint is this tire is noisy.
I found the Avons really terrible on my 1500, the back end wandered all over any little lines in the road and I actually had them removed for Dunlops again. I'm surprised the Avonshandle any better on the 1800.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
imported post

i have heard alot of discussion on this subject. i wish someone would come out with an independent study. some get 6 thousand miles, some get 19 thousand. i know there are differnt compounds, but i thinkone in the middle would be fine with me. does the rear wear out twice as fast as the front. do you replace both at the same time, or do you buy the rear first and then replace both the next time. anyone

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

And another vote for the Stones. My bike came stock with the Dunlop D250. I really have no complaints with them, other than they were a bit touchy on wet roads. They were wearing well, but I wanted to try the Stones, so I switched to those. My front 709 now has 9600 miles on it and still looks like new. I am sure it will hit 20,000 if I wished to push it that far. I have a new one ready to install before the run to Colorado this fall.

Some of the guys that run the 250 that I know well are getting from 17,000 to 19,000 out of the tires. We have a shop local that does a lot of trike conversions so many simply go by the shop and get a new tire and rear wheel and switch the whole thing in the parking lot. Those are always the 250. So they are getting good service out of them.

I myself do not comprehend those who say their tires only go 5000 to 10,000 miles. I can only assume they are very aggressive riders, or there are more than one tire factory and one makes good tires and one makes bad tires. :D.

The stones will grip the wet much better, provide good traction and do seem to wear well as well. Tis my choice for a tire. Of course for the rear , I have left the round tire behind, but that is another story.

Kit

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
imported post

Grouchomax wrote:
:? Any suggestions for new rubbers for my 1800? I'm not keen on the Dunlops again if there are better options.

Max.
Now you will get many differing opinions on what tyre to use and in the end it comes down to individual choice.

The original wing tyres where developed by Bridgestone and possibly are still the best tyre for the bike. I have had good results from the stones and get excellent mileage from them and superb grip in the wet or dry. The early 704's did give some problems but since the 709 appeared it has not had any major problems. :leprechaun:

·
Administrator
25,974 Posts
imported post

I am here to keep the promise I made to the Bridgestone rep and curse them at every opportunity. If you like them you obviously ride very straight and smooth highways.
I have a lot more to say about them but will refrain for now.

·
Registered
297 Posts
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
I am here to keep the promise I made to the Bridgestone rep and curse them at every opportunity. If you like them you obviously ride very straight and smooth highways.
So, because the Bridgestone rep didn't satisfy you. Anyone that likes their product is somehow an inferior rider.

I think you should have refrained a little sooner.

·
Registered
297 Posts
imported post

Wild Turkey wrote:
i have heard alot of discussion on this subject. i wish someone would come out with an independent study. some get 6 thousand miles, some get 19 thousand. i know there are differnt compounds, but i thinkone in the middle would be fine with me. does the rear wear out twice as fast as the front. do you replace both at the same time, or do you buy the rear first and then replace both the next time. anyone
I have worn out Bridgstones , Dunlop D250's, Metzler ME880's and Avon Cobra's on my 1800's. I think load, riding style and tire pressure all have a big impact on tire mileage.

All of my rear tires have been used up between 10 and 13 thousand miles. The front tires usually have a few miles left in them, but I prefer to replace both tires at the same time. I'm no racer, but typically I’m not the slowest rider either. I weight close to 300 pounds and most of my miles are 2 up, some pulling a trailer.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Everyone will have their own opinions on this one.... always!!

For evey 10 people who say that Bridgestones are the best, there will be another ten saying Dunlop or Metzlers or Avon or.... well you get my drift.

Equally there will be those that come and say how they dislike a particular brand for one reason or another.

Now me, I am a Stones man, for a number of reasons, 1) Honda fit them on the Wings from new in the UK, a bit like the oils and other fluids, unlikely to go too far wrong fitting what the manufacturer fits origionally. 2) I have always found they give reasonable life. 3) I find they grip and handle well. 4) I can get them fitted at a fair price and they are readily available.

Obviously my experience of stones differs to that of Dave 0430's and that is fine, he is equally entitled to his opinion. Of course if he can tell me of something that I might experience that I won't like, even after about 7 years of using them,then I would be interested to hear of it.

So let those opinions flow and anyone reading must pick the bones out of the responses and make choices accordingly.

:waving:

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Well guys, please do not get into a fuss. Feelings sometimes run hot over tire and oil threads.

I think it is all cool as long as you use round tires. Those do seem to work the best. :D Kit

·
Administrator
25,974 Posts
imported post

aht_six wrote:
DaveO430 wrote:
So, because the Bridgestone rep didn't satisfy you. Anyone that likes their product is somehow an inferior rider.

No, that is not what I implied. In my experience with those tires the only roads they were satisfactory on was smooth fairly straight roads. Not everyone rides 90% twisty and truck rutted roads like I do. If the rep would have offered to buy the tires back minus whatever wear they had I would have been satisfied and would have kept silent on the subject. All he could say was "most people like our tires". Ok, I'll continue to recommend against them .
They didn't last one mile longer than the Dunlops and didn't perform anywhere near as well for me. If you have tried them and like them, great. If you haven't tried them and want to take the risk, go ahead.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Kit Carson wrote:
Well guys, please do not get into a fuss. Feelings sometimes run hot over tire and oil threads.

I think it is all cool as long as you use round tires. Those do seem to work the best. :D Kit
Ithought you used a flat one Kit!!!!!;);):cheeky1::cheeky1::cooldevil::cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
aht_six wrote:
DaveO430 wrote:

No, that is not what I implied. In my experience with those tires the only roads they were satisfactory on was smooth fairly straight roads. Not everyone rides 90% twisty and truck rutted roads like I do. If the rep would have offered to buy the tires back minus whatever wear they had I would have been satisfied and would have kept silent on the subject. All he could say was "most people like our tires". Ok, I'll continue to recommend against them .
They didn't last one mile longer than the Dunlops and didn't perform anywhere near as well for me. If you have tried them and like them, great. If you haven't tried them and want to take the risk, go ahead.
To use a word like "risk" implies danger, so if you are going to infer such a thing, please have some evidence of "risk" involved with using them.

It is obvious from the support that has already been voiced here for Stones that there is no evidence of "risk" in fitting Bridgestones compared to any other makes.

You will see how opinions differ. I too ride pretty badly rutted and twisting roads, ( I do live in the UK after all!!!:cheeky1::cheeky1:) and find them sure footed and not a problem

I would actually say that my riding varies 50/50 between motorway type riding and back road twisties and they have certainly been put to good test in theAlps Southern Europe and the 120 mph + motorways of Germany, where there is no speed limit.

I would not ask you to change your personal opinion of the Stones, but please I beg, take care of using words that may scare some members. :waving::3sum::waving:

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
imported post

I have run the D250s, Stones and Metzler rear.

D250s just an all around crappy tire - no wet grip and bad on tar snakes

Metzler - gripped well wet or dry but cupped early and howled horribly

Stones - went back to them and never looked back. Great wet weather traction, cupping doesn't come on until late in tire life.

Short of an emergency I'll have nothing else.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

aht_six wrote:
DaveO430 wrote:

Well since the members decided to give me the title "Forum Diplomat" I might as well use the title to try and re establish some love here!!!:3sum::)

Overnight I got a nice PM from Dave0430, explaining more the reasoning behind his feelingsabout Bridgestones. The ones that he had fitted to his bike, he found to be slippy, in both the wet and dry and also noisey. This was in comparison to other brands he has used. Now, if that had been my experience of a particular tyre I think I would be inclined to avoid them and probably knock them as being not very good too!!

it doesn't sound as if he got much help or sympathy from the rep. and certainly didn't get given the opportunity to try another set to compare, or have his own tested. This in my view was a failing of the rep. to follow Daves complaint up as he should have done.

Overall, it does sound as if Dave's experience with the Bridgestones is rare, since there are so many testify as to how good they find Stones. There is a good chance that Dave had a bad tyre or tyres on his bike, which has led to him disliking them and we shall never know because the rep didn't get them tested.

I can see why aht_six might take umbridge at Dave's choice of wording, but let's not see this thread deteriorate into a war of words, but rather just pick the bones from the recomendations and give our own personal opinions.

As for me, I am sorely tempted to try some of those round tyres that Kit speaks of, since I find my 1800 a bit "lumpy" with the square ones fitted!!!:shock::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

:byebye:

·
Premium Member
2,656 Posts
;8 said:
I was far from base on my 1800 wingwhen I received a call on my radio that wingnut was about to open a new mesg board, and to return to base immediately. Phew ! ! ! ! Im back and I think im number (6) Six. To answer your question re tyres. I would recommend Bridgestones. I have just fitted a new set and have completed 340 (S)miles. I had 11000 miles on the previous set of stones with no problems,but these even make the wing feel better.
There's a guy in Alaska that rides an 1800 that runs rough treads and studs. I read about him somewhere

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.