Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi All



I am new to Wings this is my first ..Question are the valves on the wheels honda parts if so does any know there number



i have the rubber base with a metal 90 degree bend and retaining clip ..if not can they be replaced with just normal motorcyle vavles



thanks in advance :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,795 Posts
imported post

FUGLY wrote:
...Question are the valves on the wheels honda parts if so does any know there number

i have the rubber base with a metal 90 degree bend and retaining clip ..if not can they be replaced with just normal motorcyle vavle...s
...The type you have (Metal Stem, Rubber Base) are very dangerous, as they tend to develope minor-to-major leaks in the rubber base, caused by Flexing of the valve stem; even when using the Honda Retaining Clip.

It's M-U-C-H better to use an All-Metal 90-deg stem, such as follows... for which you don't need a retaining clip either.


PN: 85deg Enkei Metal Valve Stem
Source: http://kurveygirl.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=72
Comment: No modification of the wheel is req'd (eg OK to leave the stock Honda "Tang", normally used by the retaining clip)
 

·
Still Learning
Joined
·
13,270 Posts
imported post

+1 to Alex. Use the bolt on type. Then you just need to replace the inner stem and the sealing washers every couple years or cheap enough to replace whole thing if you want. Just keep an eye on the sealing washer for checking/cracking.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,706 Posts
imported post

I second or third those above, and in fact I bought enough all metal stems to eventually switch over all my vehicles on "as need basis".

Last year I was getting ready to take the 1200 for a ride, it always get's new stems at tire change time, the rear stem broke as I checked pressure. I also found cracks in the stems on my trike's rear tires. There was several million stems imported into the USA from China which did not have the UV inhibitor in the compound a few years ago, and I suspect that many of them are still out there. What was once made in NC is no more.

I do use red locktite on the threads of the nut when installing and afterwards, after a spell for the LT to set ..... I apply a thin layer of silicone sealant to the base of the stem inside the wheel before mounting the tire and on the outside afterwards .


When I swap my 1200's rear end / wheel / brake over to 1500 components, I'll install a 90 degree stem in the 1500 rear wheel.






;)
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,795 Posts
imported post

On a related note, be aware that some marketed "Metal Valve Stems" still have the leak-prone Rubber Base that is to be avoided:


Example if the cracking problem:



I was sold this type for my car, from Pep Boys... I asked for "Metal Valve Stems", but got Rubber Stems that had a Decorative Chrome Sleeve!... eg they are just as worthless as fully-rubber stems. Had them removed, and re-installed with correct ones.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,795 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,250 Posts
imported post

Alex, Thanks for the info (11.3mm).

The link does however take me to a page that lists 2 sizes.
 

·
Old School Guru
Joined
·
7,887 Posts

Attachments

·
Still Learning
Joined
·
13,270 Posts
imported post

2/$10 vs 1/$32 that's more than 6 times the price. more than a little more
 

·
Old School Guru
Joined
·
7,887 Posts
imported post

newday777 wrote:
2/$10 vs 1/$32 that's more than 6 times the price. more than a little more
Each Order includes 2 Valves per package.


Actually, it's 2 for 32, but I got mine from someone else, and I can't remember who for around $25 a set, which cost me around $50 for 2 sets of rims. (4 rims):smiler:

Gene:action:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,250 Posts
imported post

GLester, Alex says that the Goldwing takes the 11.3 mm size and the link you added has the 8.3 mm size.

Wazup?
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
26,181 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,148 Posts
imported post

ALEX BERECZKY wrote:
...The type you have (Metal Stem, Rubber Base) are very dangerous, as they tend to develope minor-to-major leaks in the rubber base, caused by Flexing of the valve stem; even when using the Honda Retaining Clip.

It's M-U-C-H better to use an All-Metal 90-deg stem, such as follows... for which you don't need a retaining clip either.


PN: 85deg Enkei Metal Valve Stem
Source: http://kurveygirl.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=72
Comment: No modification of the wheel is req'd (eg OK to leave the stock Honda "Tang", normally used by the retaining clip)
This is the one I use too. It works really well, and it'sa ton cheaper than the Honda ones.

I install them in my own wheels. My dealer won't touch them when he installs the tires. The only reason is is that if you don't tighten them right, they leak. Tighten them too much and the rubber splits. Don't tighten them enough and they leak. So the dealer doesn't want to get stuck having to do an hour of labor to try to adjust them.

I have had to take a tire apart again to adjust how tight I made them. After a couple of them I got the hang of it.

I'm now on my 4th or 5th pair. They should easily last about 4 years in a wheel, but they are cheap enough that I put a new one in each time I replace the tire. They get so dirty from brake dust and road grime. A nice new fresh one looks so much better.
 

·
Old School Guru
Joined
·
7,887 Posts
imported post

FeButter wrote:
GLester, Alex says that the Goldwing takes the 11.3 mm size and the link you added has the 8.3 mm size.

Wazup?
Scroll down to the next row and you'll see 11.3 size.:shock:

Gene:action:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,795 Posts
imported post

GLester wrote:
Scroll down to the next row and you'll see 11.3 size...

> They only come in One size, which is 11.3mm (0.453")
http://kurveygirl.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=72

> The reference to 8.3mm (0.327") is just to make you aware that some Italian/European bikes require a different size.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,250 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,250 Posts
imported post

GLester wrote:
FeButter wrote:
GLester, Alex says that the Goldwing takes the 11.3 mm size and the link you added has the 8.3 mm size.

Wazup?
Scroll down to the next row and you'll see 11.3 size.:shock:

Gene:action:

My bad, Duh!

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,795 Posts
imported post

FeButter wrote:
...The thick rubber washer though looks like it could give a less solid mount than the aluminum ones with the smallO-ring.

Am I wrong? What has been your experience?..
> The Enkei ones work good, and the Patch Boy ones look equivalent in form, so probably are in Function as well.

> The Euro ones are probably the best of all because they do not have any Exposed Rubber, so will probably last the longest.

> I've so far had no problems with the Enkei ones, with ~100k miles on the first set.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top