Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hiya Folks

I currently have a set of Dunlop touring tyres on the Aspy, the front wheel is old and hard and is very sensitive to white lines, will follow any rut in the road, and I wondered what the general feeling was about these tyres?
I have the choice of metzler or Bridgestone replacements and wondered what the best choice is for the 1200?
I am more interested in performance and handling than long life.

Thanks
BB

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

After much searching - particularly on this site - I installed a set of Bridgestone Spitfire S11's on my 1984 GL1200A. (Redwing wouldn't have it any other way!) Managed to go for the first run of the year yesterday and must say I'm impressed with the new rubber. Previously had Dunlop Elite II's. The 'Stones ride better, don't hunt and provide much more confidence in the corners - mind you, I'm no knee-dragger. The pricing here was the best as well.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

There are hard, inexpensive and squirrely handling tires available that last forever and there are soft and sticky tires that will get you around corners like a racer and everything else in between.

Funny thing with tires is that most are wound with good rubber on the outside so they feel great when new, but, the real test is when they wear after a few thousand miles.

Dunlop Elite II's give the most miles for the dollar but handle terribly in the wet and on irregular surfaces due to the hard rubber compound. I actually took a good set of EII's off my Wing because they made me nervous at times. The Elite III is supposed to be much better in the inclement weatherand general handling area than the EII.

I have found Bridgestone Exadras are excellent tires for dry handling andwet weather use but the only drawback is that they started cupping very early on my Wing, whereas the EII's showed no signs of cupping whatsoever on the same bike.

I have also seen Metzeler's come apart on two separate occasions, but, I have no idea at all if the tire carcass was damaged prior to coming apart.

My next choice for tires for my GL1200 will be the new Dunlop Elite III because Dunlop seems to have put a lot of thought into this tire specifically for the Gold Wing application.

It boils down towith your riding style Bart. Just make sure that you get a tire that will support the weight and power of your Wing. Use a tire with a soft compound if you have lots of money to burn on great handling and use a tire with a harder compound if you need to go long distances without changing your tires.

Vic

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks for some no nonsense feedback.

Your experience of Dunlops is much what I have been feeling this last while ,if the road is smooth and dry they are fine, but I very little confidence in the wet and they sure feel odd over white lines and ruts.

I have bt 020 's on my ST1300 and can grind the pegs in the wet if I choose to, I don't expect this from the wing, in fact far from it really, but it rains a lot in bonnie Scotland and I would like a greater feeling of security I think , however I did not know about the elite III's so this will be worth checking out.

Although I can't find any reference to spitfires this is what bridgestone recommend for the 1200 in the UK
Front Profile : G703 Touring , dimensions : 130/90 - 16 67H TL
Designed and developed specifically for Touring motorcyclists
Uni-directional pattern for reliable performance on dry and wet surfaces
Tread compound blended to maximise both traction and mileage
Replacement applications for Honda GL1200 & GL1500 models
Front Pressure : 2.5

Rear Profile : G702 Touring , Dimensions : 150/90 - 15 74H TL
Designed primarily for American-type motorcycles, the Exedra 700 series provides long mileage, good straightway stability, easy handling, and riding comfort
Rear Pressure : 2.8

Many thanks
BB

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

Black Bart

I have had Pirreli's (MT route66) in the past, very high milage (10,000 rear 15000 front),which suits me because I'm on the road most of the time, with good grip however when they were worn they white-lined badly. Got fed up with that so I changed to another brand.

I now have Continental Conti-Tours all I can say is excellant, good in wet, at speed, in traffic etc best of all, no white linning

For a heavy bike these are a good alround tyre and seem to have good wear characteristics.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Bridgestones are what you are looking for. :clapper:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Hi Redwing

I see from this and other threads your a big fan of Bridgestones on the wing, what reasons do you have for this? I like the bridgestones on the PAN but the wing hasa different set of criteria altogether. So is ithandling , economy, tread life, wet weather performance or just that it is the best all rounder? I hear good things about the Metzeler and the new Elite 3.

Thanks]

BB

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.